Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Experiences with back to back labour anyone?

(39 Posts)
Sunshine87 Sat 27-Feb-16 09:14:45

Currently 36wks baby is back to back my poor back is killing me. Hes otherwise fully engaged and midwives dont think he will be too long. Wondered what peoples experiences were of back to back labour. Trying to get him to turn.

LucilleLeSueur Sat 27-Feb-16 09:36:44

First baby was back to back - didn't turn although they said she had. I knew all though labour as all my pains were in my back, but no one listened to me as a first-time mother. Unfortunately she had some facial damage as they grabbed her with the forceps thinking she was right way round.

Second baby also back to back in late pregnancy but turned by herself. I did use a bouncy ball and did all the exercises, but I did those for DD1 too and it didn't make a difference!

almostthirty Sat 27-Feb-16 09:42:33

My first labour was not back to back but was 52 hours. I only had gas and air and would do that about 100 x over rather than have another back to back.

Ds2 was back to back. 11 hours in total. U had an epidural but it only deadened from my belly button up so pretty useless. I was examined and told at least another 10 hours as he was back to back (this was after 10 hours ish). 15 min later I told midwife I was pushing. She laughed and said impossible but checked anyway (thankfully ) as I was pushing and with each push I could feel ds turning in my pelvis as he came out.

If I had known he was back to back I would have tried everything to try and get him to turn first.

Mouthfulofquiz Sat 27-Feb-16 09:44:44

My first was back to back. I did feel all of my labour pains in my back, and I pushed for just over an hour but got away without needing forceps or any other intervention. (I don't think they would have let it go on much longer though...) I was very fit during my first pregnancy so had loads of stamina! I was fairly swollen for a while after as the pushing went on a long time.

FourForYouGlenCoco Sat 27-Feb-16 09:53:48

Not personally laboured back to back but come across it a lot. Positioning is really important for a b2b labour, try and avoid lying on your back as this will put yet more pressure on your spine and increase back pain. Kneeling, leaning forwards, standing all really good for keeping baby dropped forward and off your spine. If the birth pool is an option for you, that's brilliant for helping with positioning as well as pain relief.
In the meantime, again spending lots of time on hands and knees (ie kneeling) will help drop baby forward, relieve some of the pressure on your back, and encourage him to turn. B2b labours aren't great but they are doable - they can often be quite unpredictable too (50 hours going from 0-4cm dilated, then ready to push 15 minutes later and things like that) so listen to and trust your body, and don't be afraid to disagree with the midwives if you think they need to check, etc. You can do it!

Sunshine87 Sat 27-Feb-16 09:55:00

Ive been on my birthing ball and midwive said to go on all fours. Hopefully he will shift round in time. Don't like forceps i knew someone who lost a baby due to the incorrect use of forceps so its something i would refuse. First baby was a ventouse thought they would rip his head off. DD was such a straighr forward deliverly x

Runningupthathill82 Sat 27-Feb-16 10:29:37

My back to back labour was horrific. I won't go into detail as I don't want to scare you, but suffice to say I would rather go through the "normal" labour I had with DD 10 times in a row than deliver DS again.

Keep on all fours if you can, and don't be afraid to ask for all the pain relief going. There are no prizes for being a martyr.

I've done a "normal" birth with just gas and air and it was amazing - so my pain threshold was not the issue with DS - it's just that, in my experience, back to back labours can be something else entirely.

If I had to do mine again I'd abandon the 15-odd hours of torturing myself in the water pool with yoga, hypnobirthing and no pain relief, and go straight for an epidural. Honestly. I tried and tried to do it without, but goodness knows why. All it resulted in was a very traumatic and distressing experience for all concerned!

Very best of luck to you.

Inshock73 Sat 27-Feb-16 10:39:13

My first pregnancy was back to back labour. My waters broke on my due date and I eventually was induced 36 hours later, nothing to do with baby being back to back, contractions just didn't start after my waters broke. After being hooked up to the drip to be induced my labour lasted just four hours and baby turned at some point during the labour.

Try not to worry baby might turn at the last minute or during labour.

As for back to back labour pains, it does hurt and it is strange because I didn't feel any contractions across my bump it was all across my back but it also comes to an end and all labours hurt!

Good luck! x

Junosmum Sat 27-Feb-16 10:45:54

My son was back to back, I knew he was, but the community midwife didn't think so. It was only when I was in second stage and saying my contractions were in my hips that the midwife examined me and told me. Labour was 21hours, 4hours pushing then forceps but he was also face presentation so most of my pushing was getting his head through my cervix and turning him.

mamadoc Sat 27-Feb-16 11:04:49

DS (DC2) was back to back and I knew nothing about it until he came out.
5 hr labour, no pain relief in MLBU. I was upright for most of it and delivered on my knees as this just felt right to me.
It was much easier than my 1st labour which was the 'right way round' with a much smaller baby. That one Was 12 hrs, gas and air, a syntocinon drip, constant monitoring and delivered on my back and it was way harder.
I expect it is just that 2nd babies are easier than 1st babies but my experience is that OP labour isn't necessarily harder. Your baby might yet turn but if not it can't help to be going into expecting an awful experience. You can't control what will happen but I do think that being as active as possible and feeling in control helps.

Fabellini Sat 27-Feb-16 11:10:31

Similar experience to mamadoc in that I didn't know ds2 was back to back until he was coming out. He was late and I was induced, but I managed with just gas and air and he was 9lb 13oz!
I had an episiotomy but it was all fine - much easier than 7lb 9oz ds1 who required an epidural, forceps and a much longer time in labour.
It won't necessarily be awful, and anyway, your baby may yet turn on their own. Good luck!

ToElleWithIt Sat 27-Feb-16 11:16:03

DS1 was back to back. It was tough. All pain in my back. An inexperienced midwife didn't recognize that I was in labour because contractions were irregular. Be aware that this is super common with OP. I was so scared because I was in so much pain and being told that I wasn't in labour. I was terrified of what actual labour would be like. With hindsight it's clear that I was in labour. A more experienced midwife took over and sure enough I was at 4cm. I got a waking epidural at 7cm and the relief was huge. Pushed for 40 mins and no progress but baby was fine so midwife tried positioning me with blocks and wedges to get baby to turn. Took about an hour but he did! Pushed for 30 second time and he came out! So just be aware contractions can be v different with OP and ask about trying to turn baby.

SunnyL Sat 27-Feb-16 11:19:41

I'm 38+5 with dc2 who is also presenting back to back.

DD was back to back and apart from being a very long labour 65 hours and 3 hours of pushing the pain was manageable up til the pushing part on a tens machine.

The main problem was how tired I was once baby came out.

Have you been recommended to do lots of kneeling on hands and knees and bouncing on a gym ball?

mikado1 Sat 27-Feb-16 11:23:01

My first Labour was back to back and I didn't know it was a 'thing' until afterwards - midwives didn't make anything of it apart from explaining that's why had such pain in back. Apparently it's caused by being sedentary so keep active and stay on all fours through labour-pelvic circles, plenty of pressure on lower back-massage from birthing partner help greatly. Another thing I didn't realise was that because b2b, contractions are close together early on-so I was 2mins or less apart arriving in hospital but was only 1.5cms (and not in awful pain). I would have stayed home longer if I had known. (Although this knowledge threw me on my second, who arrived before I could get into the car!!)

mikado1 Sat 27-Feb-16 11:25:27

P.S. I didn't get an epidural and managed fine but was exhausted as a pp said, didn't want it going any slower!

Bythepath Sat 27-Feb-16 11:25:28

Positive one for you, My DC3 was back to back and nobody realised till the head was out. Only 4 hours from waters breaking (2 hours from first contraction), nice and calm in birth pool, probably my favourite birth. They did say being back to back probably slowed the labour down and that was actually good for me as my DC2 was born on arrival at the hospital in a corridor with labour being less than 2 hours since first twinge. Good luck.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sat 27-Feb-16 11:32:26

My first was but no one realised. Mild contractions at 5 minute intervals so I went to hospiral but very little dilation. No back pain. Labour that just went on and on and on, eventually had a very effective spinal block and forceps (ventouse failed). The cord was round him three times too, no wonder he didn't want to come out.

MrsBenWyatt Sat 27-Feb-16 11:48:35

Another positive - DD was B2B and it was painful, but doable. I was induced and all the contractions were in my back, which was not fun hmm. Labour wasn't stupidly long for first baby, about 8 hours.

Coped without an epidural, though, and she turned before pushing (I sat on the loo as it was the only comfy place, and MW said that might have turned her). Pushing was only 15 minutes.

DS was also B2B and so is this baby (but am having section next week, so it doesn't matter!) I think there must be something about my body that means babies are always B2B, as I have been very careful with posture etc and it makes zero difference.

Sunshine87 Sat 27-Feb-16 11:50:25

Oh i hope he turns. Second labour was so easy than the first one so was hoping it would be the same third time round.hmm

SilverHoney Sat 27-Feb-16 11:57:58

My only labour was back to back, so nothing to compare it to but it was fine. I had big contraction -> little contraction in a releating pattern as apparently that turns baby for delivery?? I have to say tho, I didn't go near the bed. I was leaning on the bed / windowsill / birthing ball / in the pool the whole time. I had pethadrin and G&A. Delivery was worse for me than labour.

SilverHoney Sat 27-Feb-16 12:02:29

mikado I've never heard before that B2B is caused by being sedentary? DD was 2 weeks late so every day I was swimming, walking, climbing stairs, bouncing and rotating on my ball trying to induce labour. Deffo not sedentary.

mikado1 Sat 27-Feb-16 12:08:32

I feel the same silverhoney, which is why I said apparently as it didn't tie in with me either.

insan1tyscartching Sat 27-Feb-16 12:19:48

Baby number three was back to back, was my first VBAC. I was 9 days overdue had half a dose of prostin to kick start labour (hopefully) had an epidural in case I needed another CS. Midwife broke waters as soon as she was able, labour was straightforward didn't feel a thing, midwife told me I was ready to push,dd delivered face up after three pushes.I always sayitwas my favourite birth.

insan1tyscartching Sat 27-Feb-16 12:20:34

Baby number three was back to back, was my first VBAC. I was 9 days overdue had half a dose of prostin to kick start labour (hopefully) had an epidural in case I needed another CS. Midwife broke waters as soon as she was able, labour was straightforward didn't feel a thing, midwife told me I was ready to push,dd delivered face up after three pushes.I always say it was my favourite birth.

insan1tyscartching Sat 27-Feb-16 12:20:48

Baby number three was back to back, was my first VBAC. I was 9 days overdue had half a dose of prostin to kick start labour (hopefully) had an epidural in case I needed another CS. Midwife broke waters as soon as she was able, labour was straightforward didn't feel a thing, midwife told me I was ready to push,dd delivered face up after three pushes.I always say it was my favourite birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now