Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

12 week scan results - how long do they take?

(14 Posts)
Vap0 Fri 26-Feb-16 18:33:08

Hi all

How long do you have to wait for the Downs and Edwards results back after your 12 week scan? Scan is on Thursday next week getting a bit nervous

KittyandTeal Fri 26-Feb-16 18:38:20

You'll get a letter in about 10 days if it's low risk. If high risk you'll get a call within 48 hours.

Castafioresbijoux Fri 26-Feb-16 18:50:31

It takes about 1 hour at my hospital after they take bloods. Judging by Kitty's response, depends on the hospitals.

MadrigalElectromotive Fri 26-Feb-16 18:55:50

I think mine took about 5 days. They said they would call next day if you were high risk.

KittyandTeal Fri 26-Feb-16 18:57:48

Wow casta that's super quick. I've done the combined screening in 2 trusts (next to each other) and they were the same timing roughly.

However, results can come back quickly. I have a history of a trisomy pregnancy and so my results were phoned to me in 24 hours (I was amazed by how quick it was)

Fingers crossed your in a trust like casta's and get them quickly.

Vap0 Fri 26-Feb-16 20:13:08

Thanks all
My hospital is very slow at everything so will probably be more the 10 day mark.
Good to know smile

primarynoodle Fri 26-Feb-16 20:29:26

I think some hospitals take your bloods prior to scan day so they only have to input your weight and nt measurement hence the super quick results.

Most trusts take bloods after the scan which is why it takes 2-10 days.

Castafioresbijoux Fri 26-Feb-16 21:07:13

Goodness me I thought the norm was that it's ready that quickly! At my hospital they take bloods just before scan and blood is tested while they do the scan. Results are then ready about half hour after the scan. Both my pregnancies at the same hospital were done this way.

Good luck OP! Hopefully you don't have to wait too long and it's all good results!

ColdTeaAgain Fri 26-Feb-16 21:32:48

Yes my hospital does bloods prior to scan so you get your risk factor straight after the scan.

But remember even if your hospital does it the other way round, you will still find out pretty quickly if it's a high risk result. It's a bit like no news is good news. Fingers crossed for you smile

limeandsoda93 Fri 26-Feb-16 22:43:39

I didn't get mine til my 16 week appointment. They said they'd contact me if they were high risk.

quitecrunchy Fri 26-Feb-16 23:10:06

I was told mine would take up to 4 weeks, but in the end it only took 3 days as I was classed higher risk from the bloods. Seems very variable!

Frank85 Sun 28-Feb-16 22:01:24

Mine were at the same time as the scan
They looked at my blood while doing the enhanced scan and gave me results there and then

Osirus Mon 29-Feb-16 13:40:26

Mine took a week - low risk.

kiki22 Mon 29-Feb-16 14:26:08

They told me I would get a letter in 2 weeks but if it was high risk someone would call within the week

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now