Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early scans?

(4 Posts)
pod100 Fri 26-Feb-16 11:47:51

Hi, I'm very new to all this - just over 5 weeks pregnant with my first baby and I'm booked in for my first midwife appointment at 8 weeks. I always thought you had to wait until approx 12 weeks for a scan but there seems to be a few people on here talking about getting scans around 8 weeks. Is there a reason for this? It would be good to know what to expect! Thanks smile

Champagneformyrealfriends Fri 26-Feb-16 12:13:48

We had one-for me it was purely because we weren't trying and I'd been drinking before I found out I was pregnant. I was anxious to check everything looked OK even at the early stage. With the benefit of hindsight it didn't do much to alleviate my concerns-at 34 weeks I still worry something will be wrong (with absolutely no evidence to suggest it will be I hasten to add! I'm an anxious person). Often people who've suffered losses like the reassurance aswell.

Sanch1 Fri 26-Feb-16 12:55:18

They are private ones that you have to pay for through a private clinic. NHS scans are at 12 and 20 weeks, unless you have symptoms or a miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy in which case your GP may refer you for one earlier. I had one at 7 weeks just for reassurance that all was as it should be, and also because my cycles were a bit haywire and I wanted to check for dates. They cost about £100 depending on where you are.

pod100 Fri 26-Feb-16 16:02:07

Ah that would explain it! Thanks! Got lots to learn, haha! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now