Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Who to call with hip pain?

(5 Posts)
AThousandTears Thu 25-Feb-16 19:29:33

Wise Mumsnetters, help me find the right direction to go and what to say!

I'm 39 weeks pregnant today. I previously had hip surgery to drain fluid from my hip joint after having DS1. This started when I felt something pop and 2 days later I couldn't walk and was hospitalised.

During this pregnancy I have been under consultant care because of this issue. I've experienced pelvic pain amongst other things so have been in pain for a while now.

Today I had that familiar pop in the same hip as before and now the pain has increased massively.

My main concerns are:
- if this is the same as before then I have a few days before I can't move and will be in total agony.
- how can this be treated while I'm pregnant as they can't even X-ray!?
- what will happen to my pelvis/hip if I'm still pregnant in 3 weeks?
- will I even be able to give birth with the timing of this? Could I be at risk of EMCS?
- is it not a better idea to be induced now then I can have the right treatment?

Now to talk through these concerns I phoned to see if I could see a consultant before Thursday (my next appointment) but there are no appointments available. I was advised to see my GP. I will ring in the morning.

But my question is, what can they realistically do? Don't I need to be seen at the hospital that can talk to me about the hip issue combined with pregnancy and make a decision? Is there anywhere else I can try tomorrow?

NotWithoutMyMerkin Thu 25-Feb-16 19:35:10

I would try a chiropractor that specialises in pregnancy. Was amazing during my pregnancy

AThousandTears Thu 25-Feb-16 19:44:36

Do you think they would make a decision on induction this late on? I dont want to be fobbed off with some pain killers as I really am anxious about the possible risks in birth and the long term risks after pregnancy!

NotWithoutMyMerkin Fri 26-Feb-16 09:18:45

I don't know about induction. But I would focus on doing what you can to ease the pain

wonkylegs Fri 26-Feb-16 09:44:12

I have hip problems and am pregnant. Mine are long term due to RA and so am also consultant led. I am having a planned section due to worries that natural birth would cause more damage especially if I ended up in stirrups. I had a EMCS with my son as he came early and it didn't go to plan.
I presume you are trying to see the obstetrics consultant, I would leave a message asking for a call back and try and speak to the head MW emphasing how far you are in your pregnancy. If you can't get hold of anybody a GP appointment may be able to get you a bit further in the fact that they may be able to expedite seeing the consultant.
I don't know how your hospital works but as I have care under a Rhemy consultant I can contact them as well as my obstetrics team. There is an emergency phone number that I can phone and get a call back if I need to talk over anything urgent. If you need painkillers, you may need to just take them, don't be a martyr to pain it is not helpful to you or the baby. At this stage in pregnancy then you will be taking them for a comparatively short period of time. I have been on medication for both my pregnancies - my son had no problems and is a robust 7yo and I am confident that the risk/benefit balance is the same this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now