Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Leg cramp ache still here

(18 Posts)
lozengeoflove Wed 24-Feb-16 06:20:25

Had a rude awakening at 4 this morning with a calf cramp. Sweet baby Jesus it was horrible. A bulging clump of a cramp that OH had to massage out before the throbbing stopped. I haven't really slept since and calf is very sore still. Is this normal?

I have a border-line protein C deficiency and am susceptible to blood clotting, although I've never had it. I guess I'm wondering if I need to go and get this checked out or not. Does anyone have any experience with this?

BikeRunSki Wed 24-Feb-16 06:35:30

I had nighttime leg cramps in my lfirst pg, which were resolved by taking magnesium tablets (from health food shop). I think leg cramps in pg are a fairly normal phenomenon.

3littlefrogs Wed 24-Feb-16 06:56:46

OP - please go and get this looked at asap.
Measure your calves and compare - is one bigger than the other?
Look at the colour of the skin - any redness?
Look at the veins in your ankles/feet - are they prominent on one side?

Protein C deficiency and pregnancy are not a good mix. Were you risk assessed at booking?

DO NOT MASSAGE IT.

Get seen asap - if you can't get to GP go straight to A&E.
I have to go to work now but will check back later.

lozengeoflove Wed 24-Feb-16 07:17:41

Thank you so much for your replies. Just called the hospital and was told to massage it! take paracetamol and elevate the leg. If it still hurts in an hour or two I should go in.

lozengeoflove Wed 24-Feb-16 12:40:00

At the hospital now as the pain was there most of the morning. Have been waiting for an hour to be seen and its waning away. Typical!

CoperCabana Wed 24-Feb-16 12:43:04

Hope you get seen soon. You did the right thing going in.

lozengeoflove Wed 24-Feb-16 14:11:08

I'm being admitted and staying at least overnight for further investigation: leg Doppler, chest and lung scans and clexane. Ouch!

So glad I came in.

CoperCabana Wed 24-Feb-16 14:34:15

I am so glad you did too! I had a PE after my second pregnancy so know how serious it can be. Do you have everything you need for hospital?

lozengeoflove Wed 24-Feb-16 14:51:17

Thank you coper I think SIL will bring an overnight bag later. OH will stay at home with our toddler so I'll miss her sad

Just a matter of waiting now for the scans and the injections. I hate the uncertainty and long waits at the hospital but I know that this is the best place for me. Oh and I get to look forward to the delectable hospital food, so it's not all that bad grin

CoperCabana Wed 24-Feb-16 15:29:59

Do you have a Kindle? That was my lifesaver in hospital. Poor you, it is horrible isn't it. I know how you feel as I was away from my toddler and newborn but, as with you, I knew I was in the best place as hard as it was.

Take care of yourself and fingers crossed for your tests coming back negative.

3littlefrogs Wed 24-Feb-16 17:06:39

So relieved you are in hospital lozenge.

It just isn't worth the risk of delaying.

Hope you get sorted out soon.

BikeRunSki Wed 24-Feb-16 19:13:32

So glad someone more sensible than me came along lozenge. I hope all goes well for you.

lozengeoflove Wed 24-Feb-16 19:24:40

Thanks everyone. Scans are not happening until tomorrow. I'm doing OK.

coper I can't believe you had to deal with this so soon after having your baby. Must have been so difficult for you. I didn't bring my kindle but I do have a book which I haven't opened for hours thanks to MN .

AliceThrewTheFookingGlass Wed 24-Feb-16 22:47:07

I'm glad you're getting checked out if you're susceptible to blood clots OP. I don't know anything protein C deficiency but I will say though that every time I've ever had a calf cramp it has hurt, mostly to walk on, for at least two days afterwards so I think it's a fairly normal side effect of cramp.

Good luck for your tests tomorrow OP!

CoperCabana Thu 25-Feb-16 16:04:55

How has today gone lozenge?

lozengeoflove Thu 25-Feb-16 17:16:38

Thank you for checking in everyone. I've just got home. The leg Doppler results were negative. I even got the strangest compliment to date - I'm told I have beautiful veins grin

So glad to be back home. Poor woman across from me was in labour all night so no sleep was had by anyone on our ward. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up on some sleep tonight.

I'm so grateful for your help and supportive updates everyone, really cheered me up flowers

CoperCabana Thu 25-Feb-16 18:16:23

Oh phew! So relieved for you. Take care of you, your baby and your beautiful veins! grin

lozengeoflove Thu 25-Feb-16 19:07:30

Thank you coper I will blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now