Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

HIGH BP - advice needed please.

(6 Posts)
Missdee2014 Tue 23-Feb-16 20:12:56

Looking for some advice ladies/gents. A bit of background first - suffered from high BP in all 3 pregnancies (this is dc3), I'm on weekly BP checks and in labetalol twice daily due to it. I had my MW appt today, she checked my BP which since going onto meds has been around 120/70 - today was 160/100. She immediately picked up the phone to call and send me to hospital to be monitored but after maybe 3 or 4 attempts she didn't get through. She then brought out a spare BP cuff/checker thingy and after about 2/3 mins of trying to get the thing to work she took another reading, this time of 160/88. On this she said that was fine. My consultant has insisted I'm now seen at least weekly yet I left today with no appointment back to her as she can't fit me in next week so is going to call me with an appt for an overflow clinic (I'm still waiting on this same type of call from 2 weeks ago when I ended up calling n making the appt myself). She's left me saying that when i go for my growth scan on Friday I've to just ask them to check my BP then as the overflow clinic won't be until next Friday.

My DP wants me to call outpatients tonight and see what they think but I don't want them to think I'm paranoid. The thing is, I was induced with my 2 previous pregnancies due to high BP/pre eclampsia so I am worried sick.

On top of this, she asked re swelling or any other symptoms. I told her I'd had a couple of instances of white spots in my vision (typical high BP symptom) and also have swelling in my hands and feet most days - yet she wrote on my notes - no other symptoms! I'm actually furious at this, why ask if going to ignore.

What would you do in my situation? I'm 37+3 today.

AveEldon Tue 23-Feb-16 20:16:07

Can you see your GP? They can check your BP etc

Missdee2014 Tue 23-Feb-16 20:17:00

I'd probably wait at least a week for gp appt- haven't seen him my entire pregnancy.

sepa Tue 23-Feb-16 20:19:21

I would wait to see what your growth scan says Friday personally. If they are worried with BP on Friday then you can push further.
I have had 1 off high readings with trace of protein and swelling which have all then been fine at my next appointment (I see consultant every week and MW every 2 weeks)
I have heard the electronic ones are not so good for blood pressure!

If your worried though then call triage, tell them your symptoms and ask them to just check BP and urine

ParsnipSoup Tue 23-Feb-16 20:47:31

To be honest I wouldn't be happy with that either. 160/88 is pretty high and both flashing lights and swelling are signs of pre-eclampsia. You're obviously worried or you wouldn't be posting about it, especially since she originally tried to refer you into hospital. I'd just give maternity triage a call and explain that you're worried and see if they'd be happy to check you over?!

seven201 Tue 23-Feb-16 20:53:31

Have you got a bp monitor at home? I've got one and it was only about £20 from boots - it might be worth getting one so you can track daily. Like the previous poster I think you should call triage to get their take on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now