Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

3rd trip for monitoring-feeling like a time waster

(13 Posts)
Champagneformyrealfriends Mon 22-Feb-16 22:55:45

I self took my blood pressure at the doctors this evening as my feet have swollen right up and it was 130/90. None of the doctors were available and the receptionist wasn't interested so I rang triage and they had me go in for monitoring again. Of course, everything was fine (except a potential UTI though that won't be an issue) and now I feel like a fraud.

I've been twice before due to reduced movement and I'm sick of feeling bad for going! Not sure why I'm posting but you lot are always so supportive so I thought I'd have a whinge sad

Anyway, 33 weeks today, fat feet, fed up. confused I hope everybody else is doing well flowers

TangerineTrees Tue 23-Feb-16 02:48:45

You aren't a fraud. Always, always get checked. For the sake of your last few weeks of pregnancy, sod it, I'd go every week (/day) if something didn't feel right and it made me feel better or put my mind at ease! Absolutely no point risking anything with you or baby.

I hated the fat feet. Although mine were so horrendous in the week after birth, I could barely get my jeans over my ankles!

April2013 Tue 23-Feb-16 05:56:33

I used to feel like this totally but every type of NHS staff I have come across in this pregnancy always asks about my movements - they are all keen to know if movements are good, so i think it is totally fine and good for you to be checking with them if you ever suspect a problem, plus it isn't a huge job for them and they are set up to deal with this. A lovely obstetrician said to me that outside of midwife appointments \scans they are relying on me doing the movements monitoring so to never feel bad for getting checked out. Plus, even if midwives seem busy and even if they are grumpy it is your NHS and it is right you get the most out of it. You're not a fraud, you're just doing your job and any reassurance we can get in pregnancy we should grab with both hands!

ohanami Tue 23-Feb-16 06:12:39

Don't feel bad at all - it's what they're there for. I ignored what I thought was a migraine (if I'd looked up "visual disturbance" dr google would have advised me differently) so swelling and a bp less than yours were what I ended up presenting with at 33 weeks. I had rocketing pre-eclampsia and I had a baby 4 days later - but nobody could tell me that until I'd been in to triage to get checked out. Fortunately most people don't have it but they've done the right thing getting any concerns checked out.

verytiredmummy1 Tue 23-Feb-16 06:13:26

I had this 22 times in my last pregnancy and felt so embarrassed. These were all for reduced movement. The staff were always saying it was better I was in. I felt so awful though but couldn't have lived with the alternative xx

goodnightdarthvader1 Tue 23-Feb-16 06:29:50

I feel the same. I'm 41+3 and can't tell if my waters have gone or not, and I'm bleeding. Trying to describe the amount / colour of blood to the triage nurse over the phone hmm Really want to go, FFS, this could be a placental abruption, can I not just come in? Happy to go home again if everything's fine hmm But of course I don't want to overreact / be a nuisance / be a whiny FTM.

hmm hmm hmm

Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 23-Feb-16 09:04:44

Aw goodnight get yourself in! You sound like me though-terrified of making a fuss! I remembered some of your posts and thought you must be due soon. Let us know how you go on.

Woke up this morning with a banging head and vomiting so I suspect I have some sort of bug. Feeling even more fed up now sad

Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 23-Feb-16 09:05:46

Thank you everyone for the support too-it's so hard when you feel like your constantly worrying needlessly! This is why I love this board-everyone is so lovely. flowers

goodnightdarthvader1 Tue 23-Feb-16 09:25:12

Thanks champagne. Managed a couple more hours sleep and the bleeding seems to have slowed / stopped. Will go in this morning to see if my waters actually did go. All the best to you! flowers

kamillaw Tue 23-Feb-16 16:52:15

Champagne all your symptoms could be indicative of pre eclampsia. Best to give them a ring and get checked again maybe have some bloods done. Good luck! X

Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 23-Feb-16 17:50:57

I've spoken to the hospital kamillaw and they're confident that unless my headache gets worse I'm fine! It's gone now. Just took my BP at home and it's normal too. Thank you though-I was thinking the same thing earlier and it's worrying! Seeing my mw on Friday so I'll talk to her then, if anything just to put my mind at rest! flowers

Muskateersmummy Tue 23-Feb-16 17:54:01

I was in for twice weekly monitoring. The nurses always said to me they would rather see a mum a hundred times and deliver a healthy baby, than see a mum once and have a sad outcome. Never feel you are wasting their time.

TheDisillusionedAnarchist Tue 23-Feb-16 19:43:18

Just go, far better to feel like a timewaster than have a stillbirth. I went everyday from 34 weeks, we had a 54% chance of stillbirth, our good pregnancy management meant we had a live birth. Nobody cared that we went so often.

It would be terrible to not go because you feel like you've been too much and that be the one trip that could have saved your baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now