Talk

Advanced search

Baby no.3 @ 40?

(12 Posts)
jakey10 Sun 21-Feb-16 19:16:28

I'm in a dilemma whether to have baby no.3, mostly as I'm 40 in May. It's a head and heart thing, Hubble agrees too. Would be great to hear from others who have 3, especially later in life. Know there's health risks, and generally with 3 it means you need more space at home & in car etc. Sometimes I still get woken by the others, and wonder if I can cope with tiredness of newborn again. However, to have no.3 would be great addition to family & I'd love to do it again.. Keep changing mind as to if its a good idea or not!! be great to hear from others and their experiences x

shivermytimbers Sun 21-Feb-16 19:49:09

Currently 17 weeks pregnant with number 3 at the grand old age of 42 and so far it's going smoothly. I'm not running after little ones as my other two are much older but so far I've not found it massively different to my other pregnancies. I do get a bit paranoid and assume every twinge is something awful but feel massively lucky and excited to have another crack of the whip! I'm sure whatever you decide will be right for your family. Good luckflowers

sepa Sun 21-Feb-16 20:40:54

My friends mum had DC3 at 45. There is an age gap of 18yrs between my friend and her sister but everyone loves her and parents are very healthy and love having her. if Something happens to parents when she is still young then she has her siblings who would look after her

I wouldn't let being 40 stop you!

Notrobusta Sun 21-Feb-16 21:25:54

Expecting number 3 and I will be 40 in may. My older two are very excited and it is lovely sharing it with them and I can't wait to watch the relationship develop with them and their baby sibling. I am feeling older mind you and wouldn't fancy leaving it much longer.

CityMole Sun 21-Feb-16 22:55:54

I'm 40 and expecting my first, and having touch wood a straightforward and thriving pregnancy so far, with no problems conceiving or with my health. However, as I say, it's my first and at the moment I only have myself and DP to worry about. How do you think your other two would react?

You're right I think about it being a head vs heart situation- I wonder if heart might win in your case? you sounds keen!

Liss85 Mon 22-Feb-16 02:51:13

My sister had baby number 3 at 40 (9 years after baby number 2). She said it was a bit harder and she had gestational diabetes which she didn't have with the others but other than that all was healthy and smooth. My othe sister had baby number 2 at 42 (8 years after her first) and everything was fine and smooth and she seems to have coped better with this one than her first. She's more relaxed. Good luck wherever you decide.

Carikube Mon 22-Feb-16 02:58:53

Am sat here feeding DD3 having had her in Oct at the age of 42. Night wakings are still a killer (though she was sleeping through for a while) but I'm loving having her. As older two are at school, she has to just fit in with whatever is going on but she is a very chilled out baby. Also by far the easiest of the three labours - out of hospital the same day.
Pretty positive experience here tbh....

jakey10 Mon 22-Feb-16 16:54:04

Ah thanks everyone for your replies... Really good to hear. I think our other 2 will be ok, especially the oldest as he loves babies. The youngest may be bit put out as he thinks he's the baby (!) but will hopefully come round ;) thanks all

CityMole Mon 22-Feb-16 17:10:48

If you do go ahead, we have a thread for 40+ mums on here, which has been a good support to me. Let us know how you get on! ;)

notfromstepford Tue 23-Feb-16 13:28:57

I wouldn't let age stop you if that's the only thing holding you back. I'm 41 and 35 weeks pregnant with DC2.

Had my first at 37 and the current pregnancy has been much more straight forward. And as CityMole said - there is a great support thread for us 40+ mums.

fohamy12 Tue 23-Feb-16 13:37:05

Had baby no 5 at 41. She was my fifth c/section as well. 8 year gap between her and no 4. Yes, I was worried about health issues initially but to be honest pregnancy was great, straight forward and no extra treatment even though it was classed as a geriatric pregnancy!. My husband was more dubious at first but now we both agreed it was the best thing we did. She is now 14 months old and spoilt rotten especially by her 16 yr old brother!

jakey10 Wed 24-Feb-16 16:45:27

Thanks all for support, great to hear smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now