Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

rhesus negative /spotting implications

(9 Posts)
sheenarose1st Sun 21-Feb-16 17:07:27

Hi there. This is my third pregnancy (first was a miscarriage) and.I've.had spotting at 24 weeks. I am rhesus negative blood, partner positive as is my first child. Does the spotting mean there's a chance my unborn baby has brain damage or is ill in some way? No idea why Spotting happened and just not clear on potential consequences. I'm now also very pale (this is a week on) and wonder if connected. Thank you for any help x

VagueIdeas Sun 21-Feb-16 17:09:05

Does the spotting mean there's a chance my unborn baby has brain damage or is ill in some way?

No. Absolutely not smile

Sometimes, if you've had a bleed, your midwife will send you for an anti-D shot. But since it was only spotting, it's probably unnecessary. Call her and ask.

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 21-Feb-16 17:09:41

No. But did you ring the hospital with the spotting to get anti d and blood tests to check for antibodies? If not you need to ring them. If feeling tired, pale etc then no harm in making a mw appointment and having your iron levels checked, it is common for iron levels to get a bit low in pregnancy.

squeezed Sun 21-Feb-16 18:40:39

I've had some spotting and slightly heavier bleeds. On speaking to the maternity ward they told me that they wanted to check it and I was given anti d injections both times. My blood tests were fine. More than likely nothing to worry about, but they were just careful. Also you still have to have the anti d at 28 weeks.

sheenarose1st Sun 21-Feb-16 19:47:27

Thank you for replies.

We were away.a daytime when it happened so went to a different hospital who couldn't access my records and I'd not taken mines out with me. Cos of this they could give me anti d shot and listened in to heartbeat which was fine but the doctor said she couldn't do a speculum cos she didn't have records to show where my.placenta is, and she couldn't do a scan as scanning closed and no records. That felt hard.

Haven't been able to.contact my midwife and have my regular antenatal appointment next week which is to do bloodcheck. Will the anti d jag affect this so no matter what it will now say positive for antibodies and how would I know if that product of jag.or cos my blood is attacking baby? Sorry for these questions just feel a lack of knowledge and it's causing anxiety at this stage x

VagueIdeas Sun 21-Feb-16 19:59:29

The spotting doesn't mean your blood is attacking the baby. I take it you had anti-D after your first child was born? Then you have nothing to worry about, honestly.

I'm rhesus negative and have had two (rhesus positive) babies and I'm pretty sure they don't check you for antibodies when they do bloodwork. I don't recall being tested during either of my pregnancies, anyway.

sepa Sun 21-Feb-16 20:20:04

How many days ago was your spotting?
Call the DAU tomorrow morning and ask them if you can't hold of your MW

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 21-Feb-16 20:21:08

Contact the hospital you are booked under, just ring the delivery suite. Explain you were away and what happened at the other hospital. They will tell you if they want you to pop down for bloods or if you should just wait until your next check. Don't panic, you'll be fine. But please do remember to carry your records with you in future.

sheenarose1st Sun 21-Feb-16 22:01:18

It happened a week ago and I can feel the baby move but still that feeling of what happened /has something happened as a result plus the guilt of not being assertive and insisting on scan or more information.x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now