Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Strep B treatment during pregnancy?

(9 Posts)
DiagnosisMurderBiggestFan Sat 20-Feb-16 10:47:20

I'm 17 weeks pregnant, and have had mild symptoms of a urine infection since the beginning, but the first time my urine was tested, it was negative of all bacteria.

2 weeks ago, it was tested again and I was told by my midwife that it was positive for group b strep, and that was probably the cause of my symptoms. I made an appointment with the dr but was told by her that there was no point treating it as it "stays in your system forever"...and that it probably wasn't causing my symptoms hmm

She gave me a 3-day course of antibiotics which she referred to as a trial, but didn't seem convinced it would serve any use. Is this normal procedure?

bsmirched Sat 20-Feb-16 11:02:26

If I remember correctly, whilst they may give you antibiotics now, you'll be tested again at about 37 weeks. You will in all probability test positive again, as it is v persistent, and be given iv antibiotics during labour to avoid the baby becoming infected. This happened in both my pregnancies.

Mummyme87 Sat 20-Feb-16 15:35:56

You should be treated for gbs in the urine as it is a urine infection, you will also be offered intravenous antibiotics in labour as it can pass to baby although very low risk in urine.

Jellybean100 Sat 20-Feb-16 16:41:15

You should have antibiotics for gbs in urine when it's detected, then be given antibiotics during labour.

TheBubGrower Sat 20-Feb-16 21:29:06

I had this early in pregnancy and was given a course of antibiotics at the time. I'm almost full term now but the NHS won't screen for GBS so I'd have to pay privately to have it done. But the NICE guidelines say that if you've had it at any point in pregnancy you should be offered the antibiotics in labour regardless. I've made sure this is written into my notes as they don't seem to be very proactive about it. I'm going to insist on the antibiotics because personally for me I don't think the risk of potentially passing GBS on is worth it. The tests are almost pointless because it can come and go from your system and might not be picked up but could come back by the time you deliver

jellycat1 Sat 20-Feb-16 22:01:02

Yes agree with pp - if you've had it at all recently and certainly in this pregnancy I wouldn't even bother testing at 37 weeks because they should give you the antibiotics anyway - plus as it's a transient thing, if you've had it that recently, i believe you could easily get it again at say 39.5 wks - even if you tested neg at 37. So I'd err on the side of caution and ensure you'll be getting the antibiotics. If they won't guarantee that, then of course do the test. It's easy to do and is about £35. It's ridiculous that they don't routinely test everyone on the NHS given how serious it can be. Another thing that baffles me about the NHS.

Normandy144 Sat 20-Feb-16 22:15:15

I tested positive for it in my first pregnancy. I was living in another country and the time where it was a mandatory test. They gave me antibiotics during labour to prevent the spread. 2nd pregnancy was back in the U.K. and I told the consultant that I had tested positive before and she just added it to my notes with some bright stickers saying GBS aware or something like that and antibiotics were given again during labour. Glad I thought to mention it - to be honest I had forgotten about it and it was only when I re-read my notes from my first pregnancy that I remembered. Seems a bit odd that it's not a routine test.

Mummyme87 Sun 21-Feb-16 07:56:27

It's not routine as there are a lot of false negatives and false positives, this vs the massive volume of women who naturally carry it at any time and the long term complications of unnecessary antibiotics on women and babies

jellycat1 Sun 21-Feb-16 10:41:41

mummyme where are you getting your information from? My understanding, from 2 senior consultants - both professors of gynaecology and obstetrics - over 2 pregnancies, is that around 15% of women in the UK are carrying GBS at only one time. Not a massive volume at all. Also what false negs/positives? If you test using the vaginal and anal swab method, the results are highly accurate. Obviously it's a snapshot result, hence why it needs to be done as late as possible and why if you've had it in pregnancy already you'll likely automatically be given antibiotics. And finally - what long term complications from antibiotics?? And how do they compare to the potential long term complications of passing on GBS to a newborn, which include death?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now