Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

headaches - 16 weeks pregnant

(6 Posts)
buttershy Fri 19-Feb-16 17:31:52

Hi, I am 16 weeks pregnant with baby number 1, 24 years old. I have had a hard time so far with hyperemisis from week five to week 14 (I have been on cyclizine 50mg x3 a day now down to 1xdaily before bed), I then felt better for nearly two weeks, and back to myself, very little nausea, no vomiting and just generally felt like me! But this week I have felt flu-y with terrible headaches but had no sore throat/sniffles - just body aches, especially my neck and extremely tired and nauseous. The headaches are on the top of my head and they can often make me feel quite nauseous and strange, they do remind me of hormonal migraines I've had in the past when on a contraceptive pill that didn't suit me.

I don't feel thirsty, and napping and sleeping well at night doesn't seem to help. The only thing that helps is taking paracetamol - I have been taking one dose (two 500mg tablets) per day this week. Is this really okay?

My husband thinks i'm overreacting wanting to ring the midwife but are persistent headaches really nothing to worry about?

thanks

Eastend2015 Sat 20-Feb-16 00:09:36

I have suffered a lot with headaches in pregnancy but I wouldn't say they were persistent and didn't have the aches etc. I suggest speaking to your midwife- that is what they are paid for then you can out it to rest x

SueGeneris Sat 20-Feb-16 00:17:44

I had persistent headaches for about 10 weeks solid in all three of my pregnancies around this stage. I took one dose of paracetamol plus caffeine every day to deal with it. I had a reassuring chat to a pharmacist who said it was probably better on balance to take the paracetamol and not be crippled with a terrible headache/nausea etc. My dsis also had the same problem in her pregnancies. Migraine runs in our family and I always got oestrogen withdrawal migraine when on the pill.

I know this is just my experience but hopefully it might help.

buttershy Tue 23-Feb-16 13:04:38

Hi SueGeneris, thanks for your help. I had read about taking paracetamol with caffeine, I dont suppose you know how much more caffeine you could have in a day after that? I drink decaf tea and no coffee but still interested to know as i do indulge in the occasional glass of full fat coke!

also you mention oestrogen withdrawal migraine, to clarify is this a migraine you have just before starting your period?

SueGeneris Tue 23-Feb-16 13:08:22

I think two tablets of paracetamol plus contain 120mg caffeine which when I was pregnant was about the limit. I wouldn't worry about the odd coke on top though.

And yes, oestrogen withdrawal migraine was usually on or around first day of period. I also get mid cycle headaches when hormones change around ovulation. Don't know what I did to Mother Nature in a previous life!

Nevlet Tue 23-Feb-16 13:40:31

Butter i have had horrendous headaches since about 6 weeks and still now in week 13. I even went to the gp who said its hormones tough it out but take paracetamol when needed. By the time i get home from school after a loud day I need it every 4 hours just to take edge off extreme pain and dizziness. Im hoping it gets better the further on i get. Not sure how i will manage 12 hour day thursday with parents evening too!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now