Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant and BMI 30

(19 Posts)
Lucinda15 Fri 19-Feb-16 07:20:26

Hello everyone,

I started trying to conceive a year ago and managed to lose a stone and a half to get down to a healthy BMI before we started. Since then we have had 2 miscarriages, and I did a lot of comfort eating and drinking and put the stone and a half back on sad I went back on the diet but struggled to shift the weight, and am now pregnant again as a size 16 with a BMI of 30. I am at slimming world and they have a great plan for pregnant ladies and I'm feeling quite determined. But I am also very anxious that I've put the pregnancy at risk by being overweight. Can anyone reassure me that it will be ok or tell me their experiences?

Thanks.

shiteforbrains Fri 19-Feb-16 07:37:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shiteforbrains Fri 19-Feb-16 07:46:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lucinda15 Fri 19-Feb-16 07:56:31

Thanks both. I am trying to say calm about it but I after the two miscarriages I am scared to jeopardise the pregnancy in any way. I am finding it hard not to be hard on myself for putting the weight back on. it was during the first pregnancy last year that a lot of the weight went on - I had awful nausea 24 hrs a day which was only relieved by eating, and I had an insatiable hunger!! Put on over half a stone in just 8 weeks and it just snowballed even further after I miscarried at 11.5 weeks.

I am only 5.5 weeks now and haven't developed the hunger yet and I'm really trying hard to follow the SW plan. So far I'm actually really enjoying it and feel good for it. I'm just cautiously waiting for the pregnancy hunger to kick in so we will see what happens then!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm really glad your pregnancies went well, it has given me some confidence.

5minutestobed Fri 19-Feb-16 07:59:14

My BMI is 32 and I'm currently 6 months pregnant. Its never been mentioned by my midwife or consultant.
Try not to worry, I know its hard but plenty of woman with higher BMIs have babies.

BendydickCuminsnatch Fri 19-Feb-16 08:01:27

It will be ok! My BMI was 32 at booking. Didn't gain much other than the baby weight during pregnancy (it's the bloody post partum period where everyone brings you biscuits that was my problem!!). Lost weight at first and then gained slowly. Wasn't high risk or anything. Didn't have a GTT test.
Good luck and congratulations!

BendydickCuminsnatch Fri 19-Feb-16 08:02:08

Also just to add I LOVED being pregnant, felt the best ever, it was soooooo lush smile hoping for the same for you smile

frikadela01 Fri 19-Feb-16 09:59:14

At booking in my bmi was 34. I got referred to the consultant and got diagnosed with high bp although she thinks it's preexisting. Got put in meds and have since had normal bp readings. At the consultant appointment she told me all the risks associated with being obese and pregnant. I imagine most people are already aware of the risks (diabetes, pre eclampsia, increased likelihood of intervention). It wasn't easy to hear. However I've felt well looked after, never felt judged and having just had my 20 week scan this week everything is going as it should. I haven't actually gained any weight since my booking in so that's a plus.

Try your best to stick to healthy eating but also listen to what your body wants and don't beat yourself up if you go on a bit of a carb fest, it might be the only thing you feel like eating.

PurplePotatoes Fri 19-Feb-16 10:11:54

My Bmi with both my pregnancies was 30 (currently 8 weeks pregnant). I don't remember it even being mentioned last time. I haven't had my booking in appt yet this time.

I didn't put much weight on until I went overdue. I actually put more on after DD was born - too many coffee/cake trips and grabbing quick and easy meals when busy with the baby!

Once I've stopped feeling so sick this time I'm going to try and follow SW too as that's how I lost the baby weight.

Tfoot75 Fri 19-Feb-16 16:18:36

Mine was 33 in 1st pregnancy, 30 in 2nd, never been mentioned by anyone and am low risk (water birth in MLU for 1st). lost 2 stone very easily breastfeeding DC1.

Rosieroo790 Fri 19-Feb-16 16:26:42

I'm at 27 which is overweight. Anything over 30 is considered obese. You're at 30 so on the low end of obese, if you lost a few pounds you would be considered over weight and not obese which would be better. Having a bmi of 30 will probably mean you have to take a blood sugar test with your midwife. I don't expect you will have to see a dietician or anything because you are on the low end, remember there are woman getting pregnant with a bmi of 40 plus and a dress size 20 plus. I really don't think you have put the pregnancy at risk. The majority of the woman I see (I work at the hospital) that are coming in for their booking appointment are a 14-16.

As long as you eat right then you will be fine. It's also more important for you to maintain a healthy diet rather than loose weight. Continue with slimming world as I've heard that's good but don't go on any quick fix diets that are potentionally harmful to the baby. Just eat right and a set amount of calories and don't watch the scales because it's likely that you will be gaining due to the baby. X

mayhew Fri 19-Feb-16 16:38:51

As a midwife , congratulations! If this is your only health issue the outlook is pretty optimistic.

As PPs have said watch out for the pregnancy goggles, where you don't notice weight gain. The less you gain, the less the risk of complications.

Sugar and refined carbs are not your friends. In pregnancy you find it harder to maintain a stable blood glucose, and this is even harder if you are overweight. This is the cause of pregnancy diabetes.

One mind experiment I suggest to my clients who want to motivate themselves to healthy eating: imagine you are feeding your seven year old child, what would you want them to eat? Scale that up, it's a healthy pregnancy diet. Remember you are building that Seven year old in your body now!

brookeberry Fri 19-Feb-16 16:44:56

Ooh that's good mayhew (looks guiltily at that half-eaten Twix)! But I'll think of that 7 year old from now on smile

honeysucklejasmine Fri 19-Feb-16 16:49:48

Mine was 41 at booking blush However it hasn't had an impact at all. I am consultant lead, but this is due to other health issues I have. I've only gained 8lbs (I'm 39 weeks) so hopefully will have lost overall. I plan on attempting to continue to lose after the birth too.

Lucinda15 Fri 19-Feb-16 17:00:09

Thanks all.

frikadela I read the risks of being overweight/obese on the nhs website and it really scared me. But hopefully the pregnancy is not jeopardised and will go smoothly.

However, I'm sure I wasn't that much lighter than this when I was pregnant with my DS, and I dnt think weight was even discussed....but anyhow, I really want to keep on top of it now and not gain anymore than is necessary during pregnancy.

SW is really good, it's what got the weight off before I started TTC and it's such a healthy diet. Just good healthy 'real' food and I really like it. But, like I say, last time I was pregnant the hunger was insatiable and I just wanted carbs carbs and more carbs!! Im worried that will take over but so far so good, I've been super focused, and I'm definitely going to use that mind experiment mayhew what a good idea!! I'm not really expecting to lose weight.

I dnt think I worried quite so much last pregnancy so not sure how much I gained. But tfoot I also lost loads with breastfeeding so I'm really hoping I can bf again this time round to help the weight loss grin

Anyway. Thanks so much for the comments, it's really reassured me and I'm feeling really positive flowers

Lucinda15 Fri 19-Feb-16 17:01:33

Sorry something went wrong there and I lost a sentence!! I meant I am not really expecting to lose weight but if I can just keep it from going out of control that will be great!!

WombOfOnesOwn Fri 19-Feb-16 17:31:36

Let me reassure you -- my BMI at the time when I got pregnant was very nearly 50. I have gained no weight in pregnancy and am now at almost 40 weeks! I also have a history of miscarriage. I'm positively huge compared to all the rest of the people in this thread, but am expecting my son any day now!

andadietcoke Fri 19-Feb-16 17:37:08

I did exactly the same post miscarriage and my BMI was 34 at booking in and went over 35 when pregnant (with twins) so triggered an obesity clinic referral. The girls are fine, and my pregnancy was no different I don't think.

kiki22 Sat 20-Feb-16 16:30:06

BMI is a load of crap IMO (and a lot of professions) do not go by your bmi with your health. Try to stay between the healthy weight gain range I think about 22lbs-26lbs most of that goes on after 20weeks I think it's only around 2lbs in the first 12 weeks which has been true for me. The most important thing is not the scales its your health eat well stay active, if you don't currently work out ask your midwife if she can point you to any groups in your area you can join I think swimming, walking and yoga will be the most likely.

Try to remember you are not eating for 2, your cravings are just cravings they do not mean you need to give into them. I say this as someone who gained 4 stone the first time round eating crap and not moving enough then struggling with weight after birth this time I'm determind not to do the same i know it does fall off for a lot of people but in my experience if you have previously struggled with weight (like me) then it may be difficult to lose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now