Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

chlamydia When pregnant

(10 Posts)
Mel617 Wed 17-Feb-16 14:29:38

I'm so embarrassed but I've just found out I have chlamydia.
2 weeks ago I disovered my fiancé of 6 years had been seeing another woman for over 3 years. She found out I was pregnant and was angry at him for this so she told me everything. He admitted it and said he didn't want to be with her but I've ended it, according to him she is the only one.

We where both tested before sleeping with eachother back 6 years ago and we where both clean so he has caught this during the duration of our relationship and given it to me, I have no idea if I caught it recently or years ago.

I'm 6 months pregnant and my only concern is this baby. I'm so scared that this has hurt the baby or will effect her when she's born. I know it's not my fault but I can't help feeling guilty in a way. The sti clinic nurse told me that as long as it's treated before childbirth it won't have any effects on her after delivery. does anyone have any experience with this?

sepa Wed 17-Feb-16 15:50:43

Someone had this recently and didn't find out till after the birth.
Please do not feel embarrassed by this as you were in a (what you thought) a trusting relationship.

I will see if I can find the thread for it for you!

Sorry your going through this at 6-months pregnant flowers

Fifi10 Wed 17-Feb-16 18:57:25

This is the thread from before-
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2551643-chlamydia-while-pregnant

I would trust the sti nurse's advice, it's their job to offer advice and support

Champagneformyrealfriends Wed 17-Feb-16 19:00:22

Oh you poor thing-I'm sorry you're going through this. Trust the nurse-they know their stuff! flowers

BaggyPantz Wed 17-Feb-16 20:28:15

Hi Mel, sorry to hear what you're having to go through. That's a lot to take in at the best of times, let alone whilst planning a family.

Unfortunately I found out I had Chlamydia during my first pregnancy. OH and I had a couple of breakups in the past. Never even crossed my mind to get tested. It was only discovered due to me blacking out at work.

Anyway, they gave me some pregnancy-safe antibiotics and OH got a prescription too. I was retested again at around 36 weeks and all had cleared up. No problems with DS at all or any further problems with me. Now have a very healthy happy 4yo and am expecting #2, so once you've been given the all clear after your treatment, all should be fine.

Good luck thanks

BaggyPantz Wed 17-Feb-16 20:34:34

Sorry I meant to add that it is only passed onto baby during delivery, so she is quite safe and protected in your womb. They will give you the best care and make sure you're ok.

Junosmum Thu 18-Feb-16 02:46:29

So sorry you are going through this. Luckily you found out both about your partners affair and the chlamydia before giving birth. Like the nurse has said, it's only an issue to baby of you don't get treated before delivering. Baby will be fine. chlamydia can cause infertility, but obviously that hasn't happened to you!

oriG1Nal Thu 18-Feb-16 15:31:28

This isn't really relevant to the OP but i thought all pregnant women get tested for all std's? Just me then? 2 pregnancies, 2 different hospitals and both times I've been tested even though I had no reason to worry. Is it because I'm not married? Hmm.. Can't decide if i should be offended or not hmm

Anyway, I'm sure all will be fine with your baby Mel617 smile

Iwonderif Thu 18-Feb-16 15:52:30

So sorry to hear you're going through this OP and I hope you have a supportive network in RL. flowers

oriG1Nal I got tested for absolutely everything in all 3 of my pregnancies inc HIV I am married so it will have nothing to do with your status.

Mel617 Thu 18-Feb-16 16:09:54

I got offered the test during my last pregnancy which was 4 years ago but not with this one. I think it was probably because I came back clean last time and I was with the same partner so they didn't think necessary perhaps, or I just had a lazy midwife lol.

Thanks for all your advise and help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now