Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Taking toddler to 20 week scan

(21 Posts)
emmabrown123 Wed 17-Feb-16 12:35:41

I'm due my 20 week scan at the end of the month. It's in a Wednesday which is my day off from work during the week, and therefore the day I have DS with me all day. DH will also be coming with me to the scan. I'm just a bit worried taking DS (he's nearly 2) with me due to the nature of the scan and in case anything is wrong.

Has anyone got any experience of this? Do you think I'll be ok to take him?

I can't easily get a baby sitter (in laws not available, my parents live abroad). But could get a friend to watch him for a few hours if needed. Can't decide what to do!!!

MagpieCursedTea Wed 17-Feb-16 12:39:04

I'd check with the scanning department. A lot of them won't let children or more than one person into the scan.

DragonboysMum Wed 17-Feb-16 12:39:16

I don't think you're allowed to take them in at our hospital. Your DH may have to sit in the waiting room with him.
I took an extra person so they could sit in the waiting room with DS whilst DP came in with me.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Wed 17-Feb-16 12:40:02

Ditto what magpie said - my gpsp4jas big signs up saying children are not permitted to attend.

superking Wed 17-Feb-16 12:43:03

If your DH is coming too then I'd say it's doable, but personally I would try to avoid. As you say, if you get any bad news it will be very difficult to think straight and concentrate with a toddler around, and if you get upset it might also be upsetting for him. And if (as is far more likely!) all is well, it will be nice for you and your DH to be able to enjoy the moment without distractions.

I had my 20 week scan last month and arranged for someone to watch DS at home so DH and I could attend together. Would definitely suggest you do the same if your friend is willing.

superking Wed 17-Feb-16 12:44:44

And of course it is subject to the rules of your hospital - mine does allow you to bring your other children but the one I had DS in didn't.

TheDisillusionedAnarchist Wed 17-Feb-16 12:49:07

I had bad news at the 20 week scan and we were there, five hours in the end, appointment at 1400, we left at 1900, worth making a plan for if that happens, would your DH want to leave you? would your friend be able to collect your DS? Some of the major chromosomal anomalies (T13 and T18 in particular) are primarily detected at the 20 week scan.

Our major hospital seemingly had no problem with children at scans. Worth remembering though that even if all goes well with you that other people may have bad news or be there for monitoring of their baby who won't survive so may not be that tolerant of your child, a bit like taking a toddler to the Early Pregnancy Unit, sometimes inevitable but difficult for everyone.

mrslebon Wed 17-Feb-16 12:53:04

We took DS (just under 4 at the time) to the 20 week scan and they didn't bat an eyelid at our hospital. Mind you, he's good at sitting quietly when he is told to. But your DS is just under 2 so I guess that's slightly different.

Marmite27 Wed 17-Feb-16 12:58:25

Check your appointment letter, mine stated no children were allowed.

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Wed 17-Feb-16 13:05:16

I took my 2 yr old to my 20 week scan (and my 32, 34 and 36 week scans) dh was there too and we excepted that if she kicked off he would have to take her out he would and therefore miss the scan. He never had to take her out and sonographer never minded her being there.
Different hospitals have different policies though so you might want to check before you go.

lanbro Wed 17-Feb-16 13:07:16

Dh was in the same hospital at the time of my 20wk scan. Porter wheeled him along and had dd1 14mo and DM with me, we all went in for the scan no problem. Obviously DM would've taken dd out if necessary but no one minded.

notfromstepford Wed 17-Feb-16 14:10:43

I didn't have my 4 yr old at 20 week scan, but he has been there for 24, 28 and 32 week scan and will be there for 36 week one too.
DH there too, so if necessary he could take him out, but it's never been an issue. Different hospitals have different policies though. Ours is you can take 2 people in to a scan with you, so it works for us.

hopinghopefullyagain Wed 17-Feb-16 14:13:29

I've been the person getting bad news at a 20 week scan. It took a lot longer than planned, was horrific and definitely not the environment for a toddler. Chances are all will be absolutely fine but my experience means I definitely wouldn't

Runner05 Wed 17-Feb-16 14:17:28

My hospital like many others won't let you take kids with you when you have a scan. There are signs up all over their place, not just because it could be bad news but also because they could be distracting for the staff causing the appointment to take longer and putting everyone else's appointments behind.
If you do try to take a child (as a woman did when I was there) they insist your partner stays in the waiting room with the child.

MiaowTheCat Wed 17-Feb-16 14:20:42

I had no childcare so had to take DH and DD1 to ours (I couldn't drive by then as my SPD was so bad). Took her with the view that if needs be DH would have to sit out and watch the toddler - but the staff were fine with it when I asked.

Mind you - judging by the waiting room at the time people taking one small toddler were in the minority as everyone seemed to have brought their entire family!

VocationalGoat Wed 17-Feb-16 14:27:44

Don't if you can avoid it.
I wasn't allowed to.
But with one of my pregnancies, we found out at the 20 week scan that I needed intervention... there were complications and it all went from "oooh what are we having, a boy or a girl?" to realising we had major problems. I was so glad our daughter was with grandma and our eldest child was at school.

What happened to me is rare, but the 20 week scan is in-depth and complex for the sonographer. It's a longish scan and there really is no room for distraction. They are literally looking to see if your baby is healthy in all aspects, if everything is forming correctly, and to see if basically, everything is tickedy boo. The gender is the last thing on their mind. The gender is sort of the kinder egg surprise revealed... for you to take home. They're making sure there are no soft markers, areas of concern, etc. I've had a lot of scans, including those of two babies with severe 'difficulties'. Yes, my cases are rare but what I've learned is:

Don't bring the kids unless dad can stay with them in the waiting room. It's very distracting for the songrapher.

emmabrown123 Wed 17-Feb-16 16:35:46

Wow thanks for all the replies. Stupidly I'd not even considered the hospital not allowing him to come. I'll check their policy.

TBH after reading all your posts I'm thinking it's not going to be a good idea to have him there. Glad I asked this sooner rather than later - gives me time to sort a babysitter!

Thanks everyone!

VocationalGoat Wed 17-Feb-16 17:56:15

I hope I didn't come across as a Debbie Downer emmabrown.
Best of luck with your scan and pregnancy. I am sure it will all be fine.
It'll be nice for you to just focus on the scan alongside the sonographer... and for your to find out what you're having too (I don't want to detract from that lovely revelation!). smile

primarynoodle Wed 17-Feb-16 18:00:26

Glad your op isnt full of "so toddler can see brother/sister which will be magical" etc etc

It is a pain having to get childcare but this is a medical anatomy scan and if something goes wrong and you dont even have a friend with you to control a potentially unruly toddler while you wait for conformation/undergo further testing etc it could be horrendous.

Could a friend either babysit for an hour or wait in the waiting room with your toddler just in case you need childcare for longer (god forbid) and if all goes well (as im sure it will) you could go for a nice coffee or something after to say thanks?

KittyandTeal Wed 17-Feb-16 18:02:49

If you can arrange a baby sitter them do.

I know lots of people think of the 20 week scan as a chance to see baby and maybe find out the sex but it's not. It is an intense medical scan specifically designed to look for things that might be wrong.

I have received pretty horrific news at scans and it's not something you want to have to deal with while trying to look after a toddler and try to stay up beat for them

5minutestobed Wed 17-Feb-16 18:11:00

I had my friend watch DS(2) we were only gone for 40 minutes in the end so it was fine. We don't have any family nearby so it was a pain but there's no way he would have sat still through it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now