Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

36 weeks transverse baby, history of labour at 38 weeks starting with waters going. WWYD?

(13 Posts)
LittleMouseontheDairy Wed 17-Feb-16 09:49:14

Hi,

My baby has been transverse/ oblique for a lot of the pregnancy - I think there was one appt where he was cephalic but most of the others as above. At my last appt with midwife she said she thought it was 'oblique' and that the lie was 'unstable'.

I'm now 36 weeks + 1 and due to a couple of hospital trips for different reasons I have been palpated and they are concerned that the baby is transverse (no one can quite decide what position he is though - head down/ oblique or transverse confused). I've been booked for a scan this Friday to find out.

My concern is that DS1 was born at 38 weeks, and my labour started with my waters breaking in the night. I also had what might have been a slight show (last week at 35 weeks, although when my cervix was checked it was closed). So I am worried about the risk of cord prolapse if that was how my previous labour started (i.e. with waters going first), and I'm worried that there isn't much time to play with here. If I have a scan on Friday that confirms transverse/ oblique and then they make an appt with the consultant for next week I'll be 37 weeks then and just feel it's all getting a bit close to the wire (wouldn't worry quite so much if it wasn't for the possible 'show' last week!)

Scaring myself with thought of waters going at home and having a cord prolapse. Can anyone give me any advice?

CityMole Wed 17-Feb-16 10:12:59

If you are worried about waiting will Friday then can you ask for the scan to be brought forward?

Pack your hospital bag if you haven't done so already.

Obviously much will depend on what the scan shows- they'll probably keep a close eye on you. If you're worried you could always talk to them about ELCS?

almmummy Wed 17-Feb-16 15:47:20

I'm breech at the moment and while it is still early (32 weeks) and I know the baby could turn it's crossed my mind that going into natural labour is more risky. I've read up on what to do is the cord comes out (there is advice online - basically call an ambulance and lie in a certain position that takes the pressure off the cord) and I will make sure I take my phone upstairs with me at all times. My friend had an early delivery due to a placental abruption at 36 weeks and she was terrified it would happen again - I think their advice to her was call the ambulance, open the front door and lie across it until they turned up (!). The baby was full-term, btw.

I'd check ASAP the proper advice with your dr and midwife. It is scary, they won't do a c-section until 39 weeks with a breech birth for us if that is the only option, and there is also a risk of the cord washing out for breech positions - it's still rare though I believe. Let us know what they say!

CityMole Wed 17-Feb-16 16:26:47

They'll do a C-section for any reason if you ask for it, under the NICE guidelines.

CityMole Wed 17-Feb-16 16:28:21

sorry, that posted before I was ready! I was wondering whether their discretion and the fact that they need to consider your wishes (NICE guidelines) means you could persuade them to carry it out a little earlier if the added risk was causing you undue stress?

LittleMouseontheDairy Wed 17-Feb-16 17:15:26

Thanks citymole and almmummy, that's helpful of you.
Yes I believe you're meant to go on all fours with bum in the air to take pressure off your cervix. Must practice this.. Erk. Idea of needing to do this in public is pretty embarrassing but I guess you really wouldn't care actually!
I'll see ultrasound dept on Friday and I'll let you know what happens if it's confirmed and if I get to speak to a Dr about what the next steps would be. I would try and push for either admittance to hospital shortly in case of early labour with waters going or a slightly early c-section I think. Hopefully that's not unreasonable.
I don't want an ECV so that'll be another part of the discussion I assume. Don't think I'll be popular!

Good tip re the front door and keeping my phone near me! Ugh. So scary. Have a midwife appt tomor and am hoping baby will have magically moved! (Although movements feel roughly the same to me so doubt it hmm)
Will let you know how it goes!
And good luck almmummy - hope your breech baby turns soon!

LittleMouseontheDairy Wed 17-Feb-16 17:19:40

Ps citymole thanks I did try moving the appt forward earlier but I couldn't get through to the right department. And it's good to know that my wishes should be taken into consideration re (possible early) c-section.

almmummy Wed 17-Feb-16 21:27:20

Thank you! Have you seen this page? Quite helpful: www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/breech-birth.aspx - it seems to suggest you could be admitted if you get past a certain date and baby is still transverse. Not ideal when you have kids but might put your mind at rest that help is nearby.

LittleMouseontheDairy Fri 19-Feb-16 08:49:58

Thanks almmummy I did see that and thought it was interesting. At my midwife appt yesterday she basically dismissed the idea I might be admitted though and said 'they'd need a hospital with 150 rooms' to accommodate every such case. I like my midwife and trust her but was a tiny bit hmm due to fact it seems to be a generally accepted fact that there can be a risk of cord prolapse with transverse babies. (Although obviously I know that hospital beds are under a lot of pressure! Tricky one).

My midwife was uncertain as to the position as well and is glad I have the scan coming up today! Baby does seem to be a bit of a contortionist and has confused various different professionals now. Seems to be sort of transverse and sort of oblique... confused Head to lower right of pelvis and bum to upper right... I don't really understand how he can be like that! I guess the scan will show all...

Hope you're well.

almmummy Fri 19-Feb-16 21:56:37

I know, it's tricky when they are fairly dismissive of your fears when it's playing on your mind. Even a small risk to them is huge in your mind. We have the same at the moment, two different midwifes were really unsure of the position (limbs everywhere one said!) but the scan definitely shows breech and some recent monitoring had the heartbeat really high up my bump. Good luck and try not to worry - hope the scan goes well.

notagiraffe Fri 19-Feb-16 22:00:33

I'd definitely go for an elective C-section. My twins were both transverse (docs called it bunk beds grin) and they recommended a C-section. I'd discuss it after your scan. (Loved my C section btw. No pain, neat scar. Quick recovery, stomach went back in shape. It is not as scary as it sounds. Not imho as scary as natural delivery of a transverse baby.)

LittleMouseontheDairy Sat 20-Feb-16 03:10:33

Thanks all! Well baby decided to go head down some time before the scan! The scanner plonked the scan wand on me and first thing she sees is a head above the pelvis.. grin
I'm obviously v pleased. Being me though (a chronic worrier in pregnancy) I'm keeping fingers crossed he stays that way and doesn't bob back out into his 'bunk bed' (smile) but do feel reassured that he's not 'stuck' transverse and does at least know how to go head down even if he moves back again for a bit (if that makes sense).

I know what you mean about risks/ fears playing on your mind almmummy. It's not nice but I suppose we need to remember that the professionals are far more experienced than we are even if it feels so heightened because it's our bodies the risk is being applied to. If it helps I did get the impression that with cord prolapse it's less worrying in case of breech because the 'presenting part' (I.e bum) is still close to the brim, just as a head would be if cephalic. In event of waters breaking the bum acts as a seal in similar way. Have you considered an ECV? You do also have time for the baby to turn as well, my case proves they only start to get twitchy around 36 weeks because generally speaking babies do move before/ around then. Good luck!
And congrats on the twins notagiraffe!

almmummy Sun 21-Feb-16 22:00:14

I am only 33 weeks so just twiddling our thumbs for a few weeks until the scan to see where baby has ended up. I've been assured by so many people that baby will turn by itself by then, but very open to ECV if it comes to it as I'd quite like a natural birth. We'll play it by ear. So glad your baby turned! What a relief, sure baby will stay that way now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now