Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hospital balls up, losing faith. WWYD?

(17 Posts)
Red193 Wed 17-Feb-16 08:55:10

I was sent to hospital by midwife on Friday for suspected OC and I had some bleeding but wasn't sure where from (sorry for the tmi) she told me the unit was very busy so not to rush in and wait for hubby to finish work and go in with him.
Got to the hospital at 6pm and booked in. 8.45 and someone took my obs and then at 9pm I was put on the machine to check bump over. During this time she asked if I had any other problems and diagnosed SPD. Told me to seek physio but I've already been having it so this was in hand.
Bump was fine but because of the itching she said I needed to wait and see a DR.
Got to 11.30 and I was sat in the waiting room in tears. I'd not eaten in 10 hours and was utterly exhausted. I was moved to a cubicle and they got me a sandwich but poor DH was also starving having come straight from work. When I DR finally came at gone midnight she called my name but went in the wrong cubicle. Before we had a chance to say in here we could hear her begin to start dealing with the other patient. She knew her so bumped her to the top of the queue even though this woman had only arrived within the last hour. I was in tears again.
Doctor finally came in and diagnosed a burst haemaroid. Finally ordered bloods to rule out OC and prescribed some cream and piriton. She wanted me to stay and wait for results. I said I'm exhausted, DH hasn't eaten and we have been here 7 hours I want to go home. Finally agreed to let me leave at 01.45.
So bloods come back as no OC but I have anaemia. I then had my 34 week DR appointment on Monday and she reassured me and was great. That night as I made a few notes in my birthing plan I decided to read the notes from the visit on Friday and found glaring errors.
The had me down as 29+4 instead of 33+6 even though I had been asked multiple times and had repeatedly said I was 33+6 (34 by the time we left the hospital) and they had my bump measurement down as 27 (SEVEN WEEKS BEHIND)
I phoned the hospital yesterday morning concerned that either I have potentially got a very small baby or another woman's info in my notes. The midwife agreed the measurement should have been a huge red flag indicator and they have booked me in for a scan to be certain but I am rapidly losing faith after the last few days.
I'm now debating changing hospitals but is this wise with 6 weeks to go? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

sepa Wed 17-Feb-16 10:24:02

I have no idea about changing hospital but I would be concerned.
I have OC. First blood work came back at just over normal level (11) week later it was normal range (7) but yesterday it's way over and I'm now medicated (21). I would have thought you would at least be asked to return a week later for bloods for that? I have minimal amount of itching also..

RE seeing the woman she new first. Unfortunately as unprofessional as this is you can't stop it happening but I would suggest a complaint.

Having the wrong info in your notes is very concerning though. Have you spoken to your usual midwife (if you usually see just one)?

Red193 Wed 17-Feb-16 11:31:41

Can't get hold of my usual midwife until tomorrow. I have got to have repeat bloods but hubby not happy as with the SPD I seem to be at hospital every 2 days and it's a fair journey which leaves me in pain. I just don't know what to do now. With so little time left I need to form an action plan quick

PipersOrange Wed 17-Feb-16 11:50:43

Why couldn't your DH go and get you both food? I think that's not the hospitals fault at all. Re: the measurements that is pretty worrying- you're sure it's nothing stupid like you're misreading a 3 for a 2 in rushed handwriting?

If you have SPD would changing hospitals make it any easier for you to get in? Do you have another hospital in mind? Maybe wait until the results of your scan? If you want to change you can, but there can be a delay if the other hospital is in a different district.

KittyandTeal Wed 17-Feb-16 11:57:06

I think you have to ask yourself if you will be able to trust this hospital when you go into labour.

It doesn't matter what we all think or if we think it's a big deal or not. You do and you are going to have to put a lot of trust into them while very vulnerable.

If you do change hospitals sooner is better than later.

Personally I think having the measurements and gestation down as so incorrect is pretty rubbish and would worry me

goodnightdarthvader1 Wed 17-Feb-16 12:00:37

Agree that re: food, that was your own fault, unless they told you nil by mouth. You're going to have to take responsibility for keeping your food / liquid intake up while in labour - for God's sake don't expect the midwife to bring you a sandwich!

As to the rest, write to PALS or switch hospitals. How is your mat unit for this hospital rated by the CQC, Patient Opinions, Which Birth Choice, etc? You've still got time. I've complained to PALS about my hospital's MCU, still waiting for a response, but my birth is imminent so not sensible to switch now. Good luck.

Red193 Wed 17-Feb-16 16:47:19

If anyone of you would like to tell me where we were meant to magic food out of thin air at 11pm at night when the hospital was locked so we had no access to a cash point and there were no shops or cafes open then please do!!!

Red193 Wed 17-Feb-16 16:49:32

When you are told to come in for a blood test you don't expect to still be waiting for it 7.5 hours later!!! Thanks for making me feel like a dick for something that was completely out of my control!!! If we had known that was going to happen we would have taken plenty of food and drink with us!

5madthings Wed 17-Feb-16 16:56:50

Given that the midwife told you not to rush in why did you not take snacks with you, or send your dh to a shop or stop on the way. Did the hospital have no vending machines at all?

Re the dates being so wrong that is just bizarre esp if you had your hand held notes with you? So yes I would be following that up.

For your blood tests do you have to go to hospital? I do ad I have crap veins but otherwise my gp surgery would do them and send them.off. I have been tested twice for oc this pregnancy, it's just my eczema playing up but with oc you don't want to take a risk.

The Dr was unprofessional in treating the other patient first so again worth complaining about.

Is there another hospital that is nearer or you would prefer that you can transfer to. Or ask to see the supervisor of midwives explain the issues and thst you want reassurance if you are to stay at that hospital for the birth. My handheld notes have a leaflet in about complaints procedure and what to do if you have any issues.

Tfoot75 Wed 17-Feb-16 17:20:51

There's nothing you can say about the food - hospitals only cater for inpatients and even if you were admitted it was well after dinner time. But there are always vending machines in hospitals as you are not fed in a&e.

Things do take a while as you aren't the only patient - even with no delay would expect at least 2-3 hours to have a blood test and see a doctor. But reasonable to assume there are bigger emergencies going on so for a non urgent issue it will take a while.

Incorrect notes is a clear issue though, just don't allow the other bits to cloud your judgement.

goodnightdarthvader1 Wed 17-Feb-16 17:47:44

Given that the midwife told you not to rush in why did you not take snacks with you, or send your dh to a shop or stop on the way. Did the hospital have no vending machines at all?

This. I went in for emergency monitoring just last week (39w) as my blood pressure shot up to 179/101. I called at 5pm, they said get there before 8pm, hospital was half an hour away. I was feeling really sick but made my DH a quick dinner (he got in just after 6pm) so that he had the fuel to look after me (it was likely I would be induced), and I took several snacks with me in case I felt like eating later. I also got stuff out of some nearby vending machines (although it wouldn't give me the flapjacks I wanted and I had to settle for Wotsits hmm ). My blood test results took 2 hours to come back. Never EVER expect to be in and out at hospitals, even for routine scans and tests.

I'm sorry I put you on the defensive but I'm just trying to drive home that you MUST look after yourself, because no one else will do it for you, and if you don't have the basics (food / water) you're making life more difficult for yourself. When and how you snack is one the few things you CAN control at the moment.

CityMole Wed 17-Feb-16 17:58:01

Yeah, another person who thinks you're being pretty whiny about the food now. You hadn't eaten since 1.30pm yet you didn't go into the hospital till 6pm. You had plenty of time to come prepared in the afternoon and early evening, since it wasn't an emergency. It wasn't out of your control at all to manage to bring along some food for you and your husband (who I presume is also a capable adult) and nobody is trying to make you feel like 'a dick'. So come on, less of the uber-outraged exclamation marks!!!

If you're packing a hospital bag it's no bad idea to have a few nibbly things in there that will last. I haven't packed a proper hosp bag yet but in my handbag at present I have bags of mini cheddars and some fruit pastilles and galaxy bars- things like that in case I find myself getting admitted unexpectedly at any time. Not exactly haute cuisine or going to be very nourishing for my baby, but they'll see me through an emergency for a wee while!

You've obviously had a horrid time of it and you're feeling a bit vulnerable. I second darth's suggestion to contact PALS. Give them a ring/ send an email and vent your spleen about your concerns (but not about the food- they will honestly put you in the PITA box without further judgement) smile

SoupDragon Wed 17-Feb-16 18:01:33

I think that the only but you are being unreasonable about is the food.

Everything else sounds like a shambles.

Pippa12 Wed 17-Feb-16 18:49:34

I'd chase up about notes. What was your measurement at 28 week appointment? Have they copied that? Hopefully your previous measurement will put your mind at ease. If they've been really busy the staff may well be getting abit frazzled and written in the wrong notes, not saying it should happen but they're only human. The assessments are probably triaged- seen on urgency not order, explaining the lady being seen before you.

If you have to go in again take some small change for the vendor, or a few snacks to keep you going. You won't ever be in and out, expect it to be hours then you won't be disappointed.

I know it's frustrating and when your pregnant everything seems such hard work especially with SPD, but other than the notes aspect, I'd chalk it up to experience and be more prepared next time flowers

zannyminxoxox Thu 18-Feb-16 07:55:06

I would change personally. I ended up changing with my son during my induction as they way I was treated was neglectful noway was I having my baby there

Jibberjabberjooo Thu 18-Feb-16 09:40:15

You're being unreasonable about the food. You need to bring money and snacks with you. You knew you were going in. Even if the cafe isn't open they'll be a vending machine somewhere. Or a water cooler.

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 18-Feb-16 09:54:25

Don't think OP is coming back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now