Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

pregnant with large fibroid

(12 Posts)
Runner05 Tue 16-Feb-16 22:32:47

Hi all,

I had my 12 week scan today and while looking at my wiggly baby the nurse noted that I have a large fibroid at the top of my uterus (about 11cm).

I know that this poses little risk and she was very good at explaining that the worse case will be that it will become a bit painful later in pregnancy and I may be offered a section but I just wondered if there was anyone else out there who has had a healthy pregnancy with a large fibroid and what your experience was?

Annarose2014 Tue 16-Feb-16 22:36:03

I havent but my best friend has. The only issue was that hers was at the base of her uterus and throughout the early scans they explained that it mAy block the cervix and she may need a cesarean. Luckily as the pregnancy progressed it kinda shifted out of the way and on the day she delivered vaginally.

So it actually ended up not being an issue at all.

Runner05 Tue 16-Feb-16 23:00:15

Well that's reassuring.

Mines right at the top so not in the way at all from that perspective. The only problem I can see is its size. At the moment the top of it is nearing my belly button so if it grows any more I'm slightly concerned that it may cause problems by pushing on my other organs later in pregnancy when they'll already be squished by mahoosive baby.
I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Do you happen to know whether your friend was consultant lead or midwife lead?
The sonographer suggested that she would expect me to be consultant lead now with regular checkups to make sure it doesn't get too big.

Kstar8 Tue 16-Feb-16 23:00:22

Hi Runner, same as you - had my 12 week scan a week and a half ago and saw large fibroid in same place. I can't remember how big it measured but it almost looked the same size as the baby. Like you I was told it was unlikely to be a problem but "they like to know about them."

Artioo2 Tue 16-Feb-16 23:37:02

I had one large and two small fibroids for my first and second pregnancy. They didn't cause any issues, and didn't in themselves lead to me having consultant led care. (I did have consultant led care for second pregnancy, but not because of fibroids.) They did mean that my hospital wouldn't let me give birth at their midwife led birth unit though, I had to go onto the ward. In my case that made no difference though, as I'd have ended up on the ward anyway the way things happened.

Kstar8 Wed 17-Feb-16 08:28:08

Hi Artioo, where abouts where your fibroids? In/on or around your uterus? I'm worried to hear that you weren't allowed to labour on midwife led unit as this is what I hope to do.

Annarose2014 Wed 17-Feb-16 10:48:26

She was consultant led but that was (in her case) because she had been under the care of a consultant in discussions about removing the fibroid prior to falling pregnant.

I havent a clue whether she'd have been put into a consultant stream otherwise.

Artioo2 Wed 17-Feb-16 10:58:32

My notes say one is anterior and one posterior, in the uterine wall, and 'both appear above utero vesicular junction', whatever that means. I can give you the measurements if you want to compare sizes! I was told the biggest was large for a fibroid.

Runner05 Wed 17-Feb-16 11:16:47

Art yes, please let me know your measurements, would be nice to compare as the sonographer said mine was impressive lol

I spoke to the midwife team today and they informed me that I will have been referred to the consultant and should expect an appointment within the next 4 weeks. I'm glad about this. I don't care if I have to labour in the ward as long as I know the baby is well looked after and nothing is being left to chance. I think the thing I'm most concerned about is that the size of the fibroid and the fact that the muscle won't stretch like the rest of my uterus might cause some sort of damage or tear later on. I'm sure I'm just being a worry but I won't be surprised if they decide to deliver early if it gets any bigger confused

hebs72 Wed 17-Feb-16 14:01:39

I have three, one of which started off quite low down. I've been consultant-led, and have had 4-weekly growth scans and consultant appointments: the consultant explained that externally measuring the bump isn't accurate for fibroids as they can alter the size. Baby seems absolutely fine, and the low one has now moved up, so they haven't caused any problems.

I found the first trimester and a bit of the second quite uncomfortable, especially when being podded and poked, which the midwives said was probably due to the fibroids, but they haven't really caused any issues apart from that.

I know a c-section may be more tricky, if I need one, because of the position of the lower one and the risk of excess bleeding, but I've now got so many notes that everyone can plot it if necessary!

Runner05 Wed 17-Feb-16 14:09:21

Hi Hebs interesting that you mention first and second trimester discomfort. I've struggled with my first and I'm very uncomfortable now I'm into my second trimester and I'm certain it's due to the fibroid being so large. Basically it's making the pressure on my organs the same as if I were already nestling the end of the second trimester.

Hopefully it will get easier and the fibroid will reduce in size now my hormones are stabilising. Fingers crossed!

Pippi14 Wed 17-Feb-16 16:03:16

Hi, i'm 13 weeks and I've also just found out I have 2 fibroids on my uterus - one smaller on the top and one on the right hand side. I have been feeling a bit of discomfort on the lower RH side of my abdomen but assumed it must be just ligament pain - perhaps not! I've also been put into High Risk and under consultant care. Would be good to hear how you all get on smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now