Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can you feel Braxton Hicks in your back?

(10 Posts)
GrouchyKiwi Mon 15-Feb-16 22:17:53

I'm 26 weeks along with DC3 and I've been having on-off back pain this evening, plus period crampy feelings in the front of my bump, though the bump hasn't hardened at all.

It has settled now, but it reminded me very much of what I felt when I was in false preterm labour with DD1 (I was in and out of hospital with it from 24 weeks).

I'm going to call the midwife tomorrow to ask her opinion, but wondered if anyone knew whether Braxton Hicks can also be felt in the back?

GrouchyKiwi Tue 16-Feb-16 08:01:12

Bump. Anyone?

Missdee2014 Tue 16-Feb-16 08:03:23

I've no idea sorry but didn't want to leave you unanswered. I'm currently 36+3 and had what I believe to be Braxton hicks all day Sunday. My bump was tightening, sore and my lower back was sore also. Got worse as I walked and eased as I sat down. I genuinely thought I was going into labour (I should know the difference given this is dc3) all eased on Sunday night though and nothing since.

Speak to midwife today if you're concerned, especially with the cramping.

Missdee2014 Tue 16-Feb-16 08:04:11

Sorry just realised this is dc3 for u also.

GrouchyKiwi Tue 16-Feb-16 08:14:44

Thanks, and good luck with the last few weeks. smile

Tatie3 Tue 16-Feb-16 16:11:40

This is my third pregnancy and I can definitely feel Brixton Hicks contractions in my lower back, mainly on an evening once the kids are in bed and I've sat down for a bit. I can't remember feeling them anywhere near as strong in my previous pregnancys though. If you're having lots of cramping though I'd mention it to your midwife.

GrouchyKiwi Tue 16-Feb-16 17:24:17

Thanks, Tatie. I called the MW this morning and she said it sounds like a mix of things working together, and with a third pregnancy the uterus is more sensitive anyway. So as long as I rest up well then it should be fine, with the usual caveats about calling triage if anything feels like it's actually happening!

Everythinggettingbigger Tue 16-Feb-16 18:32:21

Hi 26 weeks today too and last week I was having pains in my lower back and across the front of my bump. ....it's not long started again tonight. I went to see my doctor last Thursday and she said it won't be braxton hicks because they aren't painful, I was sent for blood tests to check kidney function, results were back this morning but just asked me to go for more blood tests to check full blood count. This is DS2

GrouchyKiwi Tue 16-Feb-16 18:39:29

They always say that Braxton Hicks aren't painful, but if that's the case then what are the painful, unproductive tightenings that are not a part of labour? Basically, I just don't believe them on that point!

Hope resting sorts it for you. flowers

Everythinggettingbigger Tue 16-Feb-16 18:47:25

No I don't believe they aren't painful either or I would like to know what all the pains were everyday for 5 weeks leading u to having my DS1 😂 or what these pains are I'm getting right now!

Feet up for us both I say! [Flowers]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now