Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Vaping

(17 Posts)
Polgara25 Mon 15-Feb-16 18:03:27

BFP! WOO! All good, planned, etc.

What I did not reckon on is how hard it is to give up my electronic cigarette. Switched from normal fags years ago and never batted an eyelid.

I AM NOW CLIMBING THE WALLS.

Any ideas?

Champagneformyrealfriends Mon 15-Feb-16 18:19:18

Willpower! Sorry-I quit smoking three years ago and I cried every day for around 2 weeks. It's really tough.
You should start to feel better after a week. Congratulations on the BFP smile

sepa Mon 15-Feb-16 18:42:23

Willpower is all you can do.
I quit cold turkey as soon as I found out. 31 weeks later I still want a cigarette but it's not worth if for the baby sake.

Someone I know used an elastic band to help them - kept on on their wrist and used to twang it against their wrist for each craving that eventually the body associated craving a cigarette with pain

sepa Mon 15-Feb-16 18:43:03

Congratulations on quitting though. Your doing great so far flowers

Polgara25 Mon 15-Feb-16 18:47:53

May try the elastic band thing. Close to killing my other half....

It's only been 16 hours....

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! angry

Eastend2015 Mon 15-Feb-16 19:06:02

My DH gave up vaping not long after I got my BFP and found it so much harder than giving up traditional cigarettes and you don't get any of the satisfying improvements like coughing up all the tar and being able to breathe better. Also j think you are much more addicted to the nicotine purely because you can vape in more places. He went through a cycle of being really bad tempered, hungry and depressed and is just coming out of it now 3 months later. Prepare yourself! I am so proud of him for giving it up though grin

Suziesome1 Mon 15-Feb-16 19:08:44

Alan Carr's easy way to stop smoking books are very good, I know you were on the leccy ones but the principals are the same. You're doing ace btw! Good luck and try not kill the other half ;)

Polgara25 Mon 15-Feb-16 19:22:20

I've already had all of the satisfying bits when giving up the normal fags.

Some twatting pile of wank scientist has gone and published a study on vaping in pregnancy (in mice) too. Not good results.

Couldn't they have waited another eight months? Fecking arseholes doing fucking science on things that fucking interest me... FUCK THE FUCK OFF.

I tried the Alan Car thing in first place, found it patronising and took great pleasure in balancing my ashtray on it for the following 12 months.

sepa Mon 15-Feb-16 19:25:03

Food!
Your going to get big anyway grin

Polgara25 Mon 15-Feb-16 19:27:57

Currently dribbling turkish delight onto the key board...

HPsauciness Mon 15-Feb-16 19:54:05

One solution is no nicotine vape liquids, you can either vape no nicotine or you could mix them so you are getting less nicotine.

Mice studies- well, if NRT is tested in similar circs, it comes out the same. But most smoking cessation experts say it is better to quit smoking and use a small amount of nicotine in preg if the risk is going back to smoking.

If you use any (i.e. absolutely cannot resist), use a minimal amount and taper off over a few weeks.

But you may find if you can live through this 24 hours, you can keep going!

Polgara25 Tue 16-Feb-16 10:39:13

Zero nicotine is apparently worse:

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/smoking-e-cigarettes-when-pregnant-puts-unborn-babies-at-risk-a6868276.html

I have a supply of zero nicotine liquids which I bought for this exact purpose. Can't even use them now.

Seriously pissed off now, almost regretting getting pregnant in the first place.....

Clearly I'm a terrible person. sad

Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 16-Feb-16 11:06:36

You're not a terrible person! Giver yourself a break op addictions are hard and you're human. Stopping smoking is incredibly difficult. flowers

Emzyt1 Tue 16-Feb-16 16:48:20

I find the subject of vaping very confusing . I was told by smoking cessation that I most defo could vape . I asked are you sure about three times lol. She said the nhs have agreed it's safe during pregnancy as long as you don't buy a cheap one ! :/ the vaping company I use to use don't recommend it so I decided not to anyway ... going to my cessation meeting tomorrow. Apparently I can get 12 weeks of nrts on prescription. Was told it was better to go on nicotine replacements than go cold turkey . Good luck with stopping vaping / smoking !

sepa Tue 16-Feb-16 16:59:11

How's it going OP?

It will get easier!

Quodlibet Tue 16-Feb-16 21:15:30

Nicotine leaves your body and the addiction (physically) lessens by the hour. Right now is the worst it will be: it'll be better tmw, and the day after that etc.

Maybe mentally try bracketing it as another annoying pregnancy symptom which will have worn off by 12 weeks?

Polgara25 Tue 16-Feb-16 22:05:15

Quod - that's an excellent idea!

Still getting murderous urges...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now