Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

any safe way to boost blood pressure in first trimester?

(14 Posts)
magnificatAnimaMea Mon 15-Feb-16 09:16:11

Frequently feeling very lightheaded, 4.6 weeks pregnant.

Unfortunately I'm booked to sing in two concerts in early March. At the moment I don't want to pull out of them, but am beginning to wonder if I will have to.

Would anything like eating salty chips work to push my blood pressure up enough to get through 2-ish hours of standing still, singing, holding a folder of music?

I don't normally add salt to anything and don't normally eat any processed food, so am pretty unused to salt.

cheekstime Mon 15-Feb-16 11:17:20

Keeping electrolytes in balance a good thing..I found adding salt to some foods helped. (As on whole food diet generally (no packet) so needed to). I'm not a fan of adding salt cause of taste usually but once I started blood pressure better.

(I also use a magnesium spray/or epsom salts warm bath and eat bananas)

Salt something that is needed for bubs, so perhaps thats why you're feeling it a bit.

Also keeping well hydrated...wee should be pale straw colour, this increases blood volume.

I have a blood pressure montior, had before I was preg although I wouldn't use now. However last few times been checked with midwife been good.

I add salt if to foods that don't get ruined with it; toms, eggs and add to foods that it gets lost in, just a pinch each time.

Form what I remember it didn't take long to resolve.

Good luck and enjoy your singing if you go ahead!

BTW I'm not medical prof ..hope you will see doc if you need to about the lightheadsness if you haven't already just to be on safe side.

x

cheekstime Mon 15-Feb-16 11:19:40

I don't have more than teaspoon a day and it worked ok for me

FourForYouGlenCoco Mon 15-Feb-16 11:32:04

Following, no good advice I'm afraid I'm in the same boat. Been dizzy & headrushing since early preg, at my 15w appt last week my BP was technically not low but pretty close and I feel crap for it. I love salt and already add far too much to chips, etc but don't cook with it so might try that too. Hopefully someone else has some extra suggestions too. You're not alone magnificat!

cheekstime Mon 15-Feb-16 11:33:03

you can drink homemade electrolyte drink. sorry don't have recipe to hand though but try web. They have bit salt, bit of sugar, vit c, water in them. coul ddrink one before your performance x

BettyBi0 Mon 15-Feb-16 13:15:08

Stay well hydrated, electrolyte drink or salty crisps, something a bit sweet like a banana beforehand. Good support socks/tights help too as they encourage better return of blood from the lower legs. You are definitely going to have to sit down at some point during the 2 hours though

Ellarose85 Mon 15-Feb-16 13:19:46

Someone told me to eat two packets of crisps a day, it seemed to work for me. My dizziness and light headedness eased

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Mon 15-Feb-16 13:22:01

Salty crisps and plenty of water. Make sure you drink a massive glass as soon as you wake.

Missingcaffeine Mon 15-Feb-16 13:42:58

Personally I find drinking loads and having lots of salty foods helps.

AmyLouKin Mon 15-Feb-16 14:23:53

Oh, I craved salty things during the first month or so! Maybe that was why! I was told to drink more when my blood pressure was low, a few weeks ago!

magnificatAnimaMea Tue 16-Feb-16 03:01:16

Awesome. Sounds like pringles for breakfast before choral eucharist then grin

HaveIGotAClue Tue 16-Feb-16 03:32:47

I was a salt fanatic and still had low blood pressure. I don't think
overdosing on salt will help? On the plus side, GP assured me that low blood pressure was generally a good thing; the only downside being the risk of falling from fainting.
In pregnancy, I would take no risks. You have more than yourself to think about. There's a little baby in there depending on you.

magnificatAnimaMea Tue 16-Feb-16 06:30:00

Not planning to overdose on salt, sorry, my comment was flippant.

Eating salty food as a one-off should push up BP for a bit, which is different, if done on a total of three occasions (once to try it out, two concerts), from deliberately overdosing on salt for the next few months. I basically don't eat any salt, so I do usually feel the difference in BP if I eat crisps or something.

Knottyknitter Tue 16-Feb-16 10:05:06

Plenty of fluids and flight socks? Wouldn't worry too much about salt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now