Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When do I first contact my local midwifery unit?

(11 Posts)
Becciilouisex3 Mon 15-Feb-16 07:47:34

Hi all!

I'm currently 5+1 (going from the date of my last period that is) and I was just wondering, at what point in my pregnancy do I need to first make contact with my local midwifery unit?

I'm going to call my GP to see if he needs to refer me but if not I will complete a self referral.

Thanks ladies! x

fairgroundsnack Mon 15-Feb-16 07:51:20

Depends on your area how they do it - your GP practice will be able to tell you. Generally a booking in appointment at 8-10 weeks.

Becciilouisex3 Mon 15-Feb-16 08:43:08

Thank you! smile

artisanroast Mon 15-Feb-16 08:47:08

I made a GP appointment as soon as I found out. Then I was asked to phone to make my midwife appointment. I first saw my midwife at 8 weeks xx

jimijack Mon 15-Feb-16 08:49:34

Here where I am, they won't see you until after 10 weeks.

Autumn2014 Mon 15-Feb-16 09:21:31

I self referred at about 5+ weeks. My booking was at 8 weeks. Nothing wrong with making contact now so you are on the system.

Becciilouisex3 Mon 15-Feb-16 10:14:47

Thank you ladies!

I think I'll call my GP surgery and see what they recommend! It takes a silly amount of time to get appointments normally so being a few weeks early making an appointment couldn't hurt I suppose! x

Frazzled2207 Tue 16-Feb-16 11:08:58

I self-referred at about that time-around here 1st appointments are at about 8w.

Roobix04 Tue 16-Feb-16 11:12:06

I went to my gp at about 5 plus and he told me to make a booking in appointment at reception and the receptionist knew when the best time was. This was when there was still a midwife on staff though. They're all in a shared local unit now so I think it differs from place to place. Your gp's office will know.

Lj8893 Tue 16-Feb-16 11:14:40

Your gp will know how you refer to the midwives. Usually they will want to see you between 8-10 weeks but there's no harm in booking that apt now!

Becciilouisex3 Tue 16-Feb-16 12:09:32

Thank you for all of your advice ladies!

I rang my GP surgery this morning and they have a visiting midwife every Tuesday. I'm going to see her next week to fill some forms in and then I'm sure she'll sort everything out from there! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now