Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Positive stories about 25 weekers? Any loosing so much hope

(18 Posts)
Emilie8392 Sat 13-Feb-16 17:57:29

Hi
I haven't give birth yet but it's imminent, I have a feeling it will happen with in the next few days sad I've been told it could go either way but I'm not hopeful about anything the midwifes tell me right now.

I gave birth last time at 33 weeks in my last pregnancy but him being over 30 weeks outlook was good and he was fine. I was told last time I was going to be discharged and that my waters will be replenished but the night they discharged me I was back with contractions and had him a few hours later. 3 days after waters originally broke.

Right now I'm in my hospital bed. I had bleeding at 23 weeks, they did a cervix check and told me it was closed and to go home. They wouldn't scan me and didn't do any blood tests or anything. Today my waters broke and discovered I also have a uti, I can't help thinking if they tested for that before then my waters might not have broke.

I'm 25 weeks tomorrow. I've been having on and off pains which I'm confident are the start of worse contractions to come. No bleeding but I'm constantly leaking fluid currently wearing I continence pants. Not seeming to get any clarity from anyone here. Have had a scan which showed fluid still there but low and more is coming out every minute. Consultant told me that if baby is born she only has a small chance of survival as it is and she could have major issues if she does make it. He suggested that I try make it as long as I can and prepare for the worst case scenario. I've had the steroid shot and I get the next one soon.

I'm so nervous about what the outlook is. Having to go through this all alone. Only one who can look after my son is my sister so she can't stay at the hospital with me, just visit. Ex is no where to be seen and other family aren't local.

duckandcover Sat 13-Feb-16 18:02:03

emelie nothing practical to offer beyond wishing you well - and bumping! There have been some v positive stories on here over the years. Will see if I can find them to post. Take care.

SleepyRoo Sat 13-Feb-16 18:04:29

Good friend's DD was born at 24 weeks. She's a lovely 7 year old now. The early days were very worrying for my friend, but the NHS is pretty amazing. Good luck OP.

Eggsandketchup Sat 13-Feb-16 18:05:51

That sounds so scary, I hope the little one hangs on in there for as long as possible!

My cousin was born at 25 weeks. She had issues through her babyhood but got over them. She is at uni now doing biomedical science. You would never know she was so premature xxx

Champagneformyrealfriends Sat 13-Feb-16 18:06:33

A friend of mine had a baby at 27 weeks and she's now a happy little girl. I really hope somebody comes along with some positivity for you op. I'm sorry you're going through this flowers

IndomitabIe Sat 13-Feb-16 18:15:37

We have a poster on the March 2016 antenatal thread whose baby was born at 25 weeks. He went home this week a month before his due date.

It might be awful, but not all hope is lost. Good luck OP.

JaneHair Sat 13-Feb-16 18:20:15

Hi OP. My waters broke at 25 weeks and I continued to leak until i went into premature labour at 32 weeks after developing an infection. I highly recommend you contact the prem baby charity Bliss www.bliss.org.uk They also publish a magazine and booklets with helpful advice and stories of premmies. I used to volunteer with them until recently. They may even have a Bliss Champion in your unit. Good luck and I hope it all goes well for you flowers

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 13-Feb-16 18:21:06

Sending lots of love and positive thoughts your way.

On a practical note, I can imagine late nights when you are in your own and the ward is quiet to be very hard. It might be worthwhile making a massive list of every single the question you can think to ask. Then when you see the doctor, don't be afraid of saying that you want to write down their answers. Sometimes, things are so stressful that you almost lose the ability to hear and digest information. Then you're stuck on the ward at night with your mind racing. It might help to have questions and answers written down for a bit if reassurance and to let you look back at them at 3am or whatever.

I have everything crossed for a very positive outcome for you flowers

Pidapie Sat 13-Feb-16 18:30:24

I know 3 people who were born around 25 weeks. All three perfectly normal, healthy people. They had their struggles in hospital in the beginning - one of my closest friend is one of them, and she pulled all the wires off herself so they sent her home really quickly, as they didn't need to keep her in. Not sure about the second one, but she's all good now (29). The third one is my nephew, now 12. He had a more troublesome start, and it took a while in hospital, but he is now a healthy little chap, with tons of energy smile

winewolfhowls Sun 14-Feb-16 08:20:04

Thinking of you

WhatKatyDidnt Sun 14-Feb-16 11:04:13

So sorry you are going through this. I've been there; it is hell. You will probably find the medical staff's levels of optimism vary hugely. That's hard because you are hanging on their every word. Are you in a hospital with a level 3 NICU? Do the doctors have a plan for when the pregnancy cannot go on - ie c-section or natural birth? It is worth having that conversation and understanding what their preference is and why.

My DD was born at less than 1.5 pounds. It was a terribly difficult time but she pulled through and is now a petite but robust preschooler.

There is certainly hope.

MiaowTheCat Sun 14-Feb-16 11:13:39

Might be worth popping onto the premature birth boards on here - there are definitely parents on there who've had very early preemies who can give you some more specific guidance. Bliss, like someone suggested, are bloody fantastic too and the hospital really should be doing more to support and prepare you for it all - I know when I was in waiting for DD1 to come prematurely (nowhere near as early) they had doctors coming in from the NICU to talk me through what was likely to happen and probable outcomes.

Inwaiting Sun 14-Feb-16 11:24:08

I just wanted to send lots of hugs and thoughts to you OP. I'm sorry I have nothing practical to add. Really hope everything works out for you xxx

getyourselfchecked Sun 14-Feb-16 12:16:36

Hi, Sorry this is happening to you. My waters went at 27 weeks (and my ex was nowhere to be seen either). My baby is still in there at 33 weeks so there is hope. Keep drinking lots of fluid to help replenish the amniotic fluid. Make sure they give the steroids and antibiotics (I had to keep reminding them). And rest. Apparently there isn't much evidence for resting but I find the more activity I do the more fluid I lose.

Badders123 Sun 14-Feb-16 12:23:57

My eldest nephew was born at 27 weeks (pre eclampsia)
He is now a stapling 12 years old.
No health issues at all.
Good luck X

KittyandTeal Sun 14-Feb-16 12:32:22

I have no experience but I just wanted to say I'm thinking of you and wishing you all the luck in the world.

Before we got a lethal diagnosis with dd2 they were talking about delivering her at 28 weeks because she was measuring so small and not growing. They seemed fairly hopeful of a normal life if she'd got that far (it was all very hypothetical).

There is much more hope these days for very premature babies. Especially if they are expected to come earlier (rather than a woman coming in in labour al ready and no preparations being made)

user1455532900 Mon 15-Feb-16 11:26:27

My sister was born at 24 weeks weighing just 1lb- she remained in intensive care for nearly 100 days, but now is a relatively healthy (a little chubby! wink) 24 year old, who has just finished her nursing degree. She's definitely had her struggles and health problems- but a miracle all the same.

My mum wrote in a diary every day throughout the whole thing and is one of her most treasured and personal belongings- nobody is allowed anywhere near it! Just have something which is just for you- where you can note down all your deepest thoughts and emotions.

Good luck xxx

WhatKatyDidnt Mon 15-Feb-16 16:57:48

Wow- I am sure your mum is bursting with pride, user!

Totally agree with the diary. I deeply regret not keeping one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now