Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

cramp at night

(18 Posts)
Autumn2014 Sat 13-Feb-16 15:03:24

Is this another annoying pregnancy thing. I keep being woken up with cramp in in my calf and having to massage it out. It's only once a night but at least every other night. I've not had cramp since my teenage years when I used to do competitive sports. I didn't have them in my previous pregnancy.

Also can I ask whilst I have this post open, when do braxton hicks start? I'm nearly 29 weeks. I'm sure I was having them this time last pregnancy, but it nearly 8 years ago so my memory isn't great.

seven201 Sat 13-Feb-16 15:15:40

Yes cramps in pregnancy is a symptom. I read that you should do leg exercises before you go to sleep. It's so annoying!

Frazzled2207 Sat 13-Feb-16 17:27:38

I had horrid leg cramps just as you describe though both times they subsided after 30weeks.
Bananas and tonic water supposed to help but not in my case.
I think Braxton Hicks are very variable, some people don't get them at all.

Debinaround Sat 13-Feb-16 17:41:45

Ugh I had leg cramps and they are horrible. Someone told me that a cold floor helps so I used to go and stand in the (empty) bath. It was colder than the floor.

Not sure if it was the floor or the hobble walk to the bathroom that did it but it usually worked.

Congratulations on your pregnancythanks

ivykaty44 Sat 13-Feb-16 17:42:43

Teaspoon of vinega will get rid of it quickly

LucyMouse Sat 13-Feb-16 17:44:18

I too have heard that a cold floor is helpful. I'm 37 weeks now and luckily only had cramps a few times but they have been bad enough to leave me limping for several days afterwards!

LucyMouse Sat 13-Feb-16 17:45:35

ivy is that drinking vinegar you mean?! I'd rather have cramp!

marmaladegranny Sat 13-Feb-16 17:46:23

Ivy - what do you do with vinegar? Rub it on or drink it?

ivykaty44 Sat 13-Feb-16 18:03:51

Drink it, even half a teaspoon should work, its wonderful relief

ivykaty44 Sat 13-Feb-16 18:04:44

But I hate cramp so would rather have the vinegar.

It works for hiccough aswell

marmaladegranny Sat 13-Feb-16 18:16:26

Thanks Ivy - will try that tonight…..

sepa Sat 13-Feb-16 19:52:48

I found having my legs bent at the knees helped stop them.

My braxton hicks (and not totally sure it is them) started maybe 2 weeks ago at 34 weeks. A few of my friends never had any that they felt

AliceInHinterland Sat 13-Feb-16 19:58:39

If you push your heel out (flex your foot back) as soon as they start creeping up on you, you can sometimes catch them in time.

Champagneformyrealfriends Sat 13-Feb-16 21:15:26

I've found myself instinctively getting up onto whichever leg is cramping to put some weight on it and then immediately going back to
sleep grin it's the only thing that gets rid of it for me and it's so frequent now too! I'm going to try vinegar though!

goodnightdarthvader1 Sat 13-Feb-16 21:26:51

I've had this. Every 1-2 hours, all night. I dread going to bed.

I've switched bed to a firmer mattress last night - had the best night's sleep in ages. Hope it's not a one off.

I found these things helped but didn't stop the problem completely:
- heat pad for under my feet
- elevating my legs / feet on two pillows
- taking magnesium supplements with dinner
- stretching calves and rotating feet at ankles several times a day
- wearing thick socks in bed
- if cramp starts to strike, stretching my foot out in bed did NOT work for me - it would just instantly ramp things up from muscle twitching to full blown excruciating cramp. Getting up and walking around (and taking the opportunity to pee) for a few mins was usually enough to stop it in its tracks.

Good luck!

goodnightdarthvader1 Sat 13-Feb-16 21:35:10

Oh, forgot one: keep hydrated - 8 glasses of water a day. (I was desperate, I tried everything I could find on the internet)

Autumn2014 Sat 13-Feb-16 22:40:11

Thanks for all your replies.
Sorry to read that lots of other people are getting cramp too. I agree with the last poster who said that if they try and stretch it out it automatically makes it a full blown cramp and tightens even more. I think I'll try the bananas, not sure I could stomach vinegar.

goodnightdarthvader1 Sun 14-Feb-16 11:00:51

Well, to update, I had another great's night's sleep! Weirdly I'm now in a bed with nothing at all - no foot pillows or head pads - just a firmer mattress.

The only other thing it could be is that I upped the level of magnesium. I'm now taking about 500mg of an evening. I'd be amazed if upping it worked that quickly, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now