Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should I be taking iron tablets?

(7 Posts)
bippitybopityboo Thu 11-Feb-16 20:08:02

I'm 18 weeks pregnant and my cousin is saying I should have been taking iron tablets as soon as I found out. However my gp only ever advised me to take folic acid for 1st 3 months and pregnancy multi vitamins due to a vitamin d deficiency a few months back.

Is folic acid the same as iron tablets or should I be taking something else? May sound stupid but I'm lost! blush

kimlo Thu 11-Feb-16 20:10:52

The pregnancy multi vitamin is fine, you would only take iron if the doctor told you to.

StepfauxWife Thu 11-Feb-16 20:14:16

Blood tests will flag any iron deficiency. I was prescribed iron tablets but didn't get along well with them. I now take Spatone, much better.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

dementedpixie Thu 11-Feb-16 20:15:05

You only need it if your iron is low

bippitybopityboo Thu 11-Feb-16 20:17:30

So will mu blood tests done at booking appointment have picked up low iron levels? Thankyou ladies flowers

cheapredwine Thu 11-Feb-16 21:06:39

Yes if they did a FBC they'd have picked up if you needed to take iron pills. They are evil things though so strongly suggest you just take a pregnancy vitamin for now (which will have iron in) preferably take it with orange juice and avoid tea / coffee / calcium for a little while when you take it. And try to get it from your diet. Red meat, dark leafy green veg, lentils and wash them down with orange juice etc. Yes it's completely different to folic acid!!

CityMole Thu 11-Feb-16 23:41:38

You will have your bloods done again around 28 weeks and only if you show deficiency (or have other symptoms of deficiency) will you be told to go onto iron.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now