Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Measuring bigggg!!!

(12 Posts)
hazellnut56 Thu 11-Feb-16 17:43:24

Hello all!
I'm 38 weeks today and last week at my MW appointment my bump was measuring off my chart (on the larger side!) because of this I now have a growth scan tomorrow. Has anyone else had a similar experience and what happened as I'm aware people have "big babies". I guess I'm wondering whether they'll do anything based on result (and what will affect it!) as I'm so eager to meet little one !!
Tia ! X

zannyminxoxox Fri 12-Feb-16 03:03:05

When I was 32 weeks I was measuring 39 weeks. I already know Im having a bigger baby as I had a growth scan at 30 weeks and he was 4lb 2 then roughly. I asked my consultant about the measurements the midwife did and she said not to take much notice as the measurements can be way off and we will know more when I have my second growth scan at 36 weeks. I wouldn't worry too much wait for your growth scan that will proberly be more accurate.

Lovemylittlebears Fri 12-Feb-16 03:26:00

I was measuring big and got worried about it. Scan showed 44 weeks at 36/37 weeks apparently (about 8 pounds 4). He was born at 39 weeks 8.8.5 so they aren't always accurate. Fingers crossed you have a similar experience X

cheeseandcrackers Fri 12-Feb-16 03:45:11

I have very little faith in bump measuring or growth scans. I have had both give 50th centile results repeatedly for two dc and both cane out at over 10lbs.
However, if your baby is big, they probably won't do anything differently. Size is not directly correlated with how easy they are to deliver, plenty of 10lb+ babies are born very easily while other 6lb babies get stuck.Don't worry and good luck!

KatyK1980 Fri 12-Feb-16 06:02:32

I had a growth scan at 38 weeks which showed baby as 7lb11oz. I'm now 41 weeks and no one seems bothered at how big he will have grown to by now!

hazellnut56 Fri 12-Feb-16 07:16:03

Aww thanks all! I'm looking forward to seeing little one on the screen again (although so big by now probably won't fit on !)
Thanks for all your advice smile smile will let you know what happens later ! smile xx

KatyK1980 Fri 12-Feb-16 07:31:11

I really enjoyed the growth scan at 38 weeks as, like you say, everything is so big! Saw his big face filling the screen, lol.
Good luck with yours smile

lfitzgerald100 Fri 12-Feb-16 07:32:27

Hi, I'm 37+5 and I've measure big the entire pregnancy, saw my midwife yesterday and was measuring 41 weeks, have had monthly growth scans and the last one I had 2 weeks ago estimated babies weight at 7lb 15oz!!! They estimated birth weight at 10-11lb so I'm booked in for a section on the 23rd.

I have read that the scans and fundal height can be as much as 20% out.

Have they RE tested you for gd? Apparently you can get it late on after 28 weeks?

Wardrobespierre Fri 12-Feb-16 07:35:30

They are wildly inaccurate and as pointed out, weight has no bearing on delivery. I was told DS was enormous. He was a 6lber at birth. Both babies got v stuck though and were born by emcs. This was purely down to their positions. My biggest baby was 7lbs.

Good luck and don't worry.

KatyK1980 Fri 12-Feb-16 07:44:51

I find it quite reassuring to hear that these measurements can be wrong as my biggest stress at the moment is worrying about size!!

hazellnut56 Fri 12-Feb-16 11:20:14

Aww thanks for all your comments ladies, really making me feel at ease. Good luck with your section ifitzgerald, 10-11lb sounds a wee bit eye watering !!! Not yet been checked for gd as far as I know, maybe a big standard blood sugar check at the beginning, hopefully they'll do that soon to rule it out ! Might have eaten a few too many Easter eggs.... shock xx

hazellnut56 Fri 12-Feb-16 18:11:17

Everything fine on scan, weighing in just under the 90th centile.. Hurrah! So now just a waiting game, I'm soooo impatient, wanna meet my baby ! All the best to everyone and thanks for putting my mind at ease smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now