Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

AIBU to be a bit annoyed about this?

(17 Posts)
goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 11-Feb-16 10:13:15

I've got essential hypertension so am high risk for pre-eclampsia. I'm 39+5. Last night my BP shot up (179/101), so I called the hospital and they asked me to come in. As soon as the doctor realised I was on BP meds and had EH, she immediately started saying "We'll need to induce you" - this was prior to any examination and only based off the bp readings on my machine at home. They hadn't even checked my urine for protein yet. I immediately started to panic a bit (frightened of the strong pains associated with pessary / gel induction).

They then checked my BP and it was coming down (153/91) and there was no protein in my urine. They also did bloods to check (which took another 2 hours to come back, but that's a different story) and monitored the baby. Everything fine. By an hour later, my BP had returned to normal.

AIBU to be annoyed that the doctor immediately jumped to "we'll have to induce you" before even checking the situation? She was saying that because I have HE I should have been induced already, basically - I'm not even 40 weeks! Even if she thought "induction", surely it would have been better to keep it to herself, or say "we MIGHT have to induce you if things don't improve". She was a bit hmm "You don't want to be induced?" when I expressed dismay like I was weird for not wanting invention. Of course I would do it if my baby was at risk, but that hadn't even been established yet.

I'm already scared about birth and TBH last night didn't really help the situation. Am I being over-sensitive? (BTW, not suggesting I would put a complaint in or anything, just trying to wrap my head around my own emotions.)

Thurlow Thu 11-Feb-16 10:18:56

I've not had EH, but considering you are two days from your due date anyway and your blood pressure shot up, it's probably not that surprising that they would like to start induction?

It's a stressful time though. Are you home now? Can you talk to them about the pros and cons of starting induction now?

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 11-Feb-16 10:24:09

Hi thurlow - valid point (although this was yesterday at 39+4). I was just alarmed by how it was a "given". What if their equipment showed my BP was normal straightaway? It would have been a pointless induction that could lead to unnecessary interventions, without even knowing that the baby was in distress.

I am home now, when everything returned to normal they discharged me with no explanation for my jump in bp. I think I'm having a sweep on Tuesday anyway (but not 100% sure).

Allisgood1 Thu 11-Feb-16 10:41:04

Was it a consultant or junior Doctor? Some doctors simply have not mastered bedside manners. YANBU.

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 11-Feb-16 10:44:49

No idea, tbh. She was <ahem> mature.

Red193 Thu 11-Feb-16 11:06:19

I worked in a hospital for many years and a few times was victim to a jump to conclusions doctor. It could be that previously she had a similar case and made the wrong call so is now over cautious. Not trying to justify the over reaction but that could be a potential reason. Best interests at heart but not a great way to convey it!

socktastic Thu 11-Feb-16 11:35:53

I would say yes. Last week a friend had a still birth due to missed pre-eclampsia. The docs can't be too safe so at that time an induction would have been the best solution for both you and your baby.

insideout Thu 11-Feb-16 11:57:12

With PE you dont always get proteinuria and sometimes it can get serious very quickly! Do you think it was a case of Dr giving you a" if your bp stays high in the next few hours we will induce you" but not really explaining properly?

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Thu 11-Feb-16 12:03:23

I was induced at 37+5 due to high bp but lower than yours (140\90 ish) and sparodically protein in wee which overnight turned to PE.
It sounds as if she should have explained it better. flowers

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 11-Feb-16 12:46:48

Fair enough, you guys have talked me down! Now wondering if I don't have mild PE anyway, since according to my machine my bp has been consistently 140/90 for the last week and a half (apart from the spike).

I don't really have any other symptoms, though, just:
- nausea
- upset stomach
- mild swelling of hands and feet
- thirst

Not seeing midwife til Tuesday. Baby moving well. I guess I'll just sit tight and see if things get worse again?

Everythinggettingbigger Thu 11-Feb-16 13:15:38

Not my personal experience but my DNiece was stillborn due to pre-eclampsia and we very nearly lost my Dsister also, I wish the doctors had been that quick to jump to a conclusion and not fobbed her off for weeks.

The way she was treated afterwards was horrific by one of the more senior doctors who actually later apologised but explained he had limited time with each patient and some of these were to tell them they were going to die etc so he had kind of become distanced from the emotion of it. Not that its an excuse just letting you know what he said about it.

Good Luck hope all goes well from now until baby is born grin not long to go how exciting!

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 11-Feb-16 13:41:54

Just to clarify to a couple of posters - I have no concerns about the induction if I did have PE and / or baby was in distress. My only concern was that she was adamant they would induce me before I'd even been examined - I was literally in the room less than 5 mins and had just sat down on the bed. This was all discussed in the middle of the ward with two other patients listening in, by the way, which also narks me a little!

maybebabybee Thu 11-Feb-16 19:44:05

Yanbu. V similar situation with my aunt - she was induced at 38 weeks due to high blood pressure. Ended up having a horrible birth with an unwanted epidural which didn't work and forceps. IMO unless there is obvious imminent danger to mother and/or baby hospitals should watch and wait and monitor, not immediately jump to induction.

Too many women in this country think they have to be induced without realising it often leads to more complications. I fully accept it has its place but I think we are too trigger happy with it.

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 11-Feb-16 19:46:46

Thanks maybe flowers

AtSea1979 Thu 11-Feb-16 19:47:55

You sound scared of an induction. I think in your situation I would have grabbed it with both hands and said "yes let's do it anyway, the sooner baby is out the safer they are" in case BP shoots up again.
Then again friends baby died from pre eclampsia last year.

maybebabybee Thu 11-Feb-16 19:49:55

Hope you get the birth you want darth, sending lots of good wishes your way smile

Secondtimeround75 Thu 11-Feb-16 19:54:14

I think she jumped to the conclusion that you were there to have the baby. I wouldn't think many people try to manage pre eclampsia at home. You are very calm !!
If it were me , I would opt for a planned induction over an emergency delivery.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now