Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

flu jab - is there much point now?

(17 Posts)
Vap0 Wed 10-Feb-16 21:13:52

Hi

I had my booking in appointment and they said the flu jab is available to me if I want it. Do people still get flu at this time of year? I'm wondering if there is much point considering we are nearing Spring? I usually get the flu jab but this last Christmas I was just so busy I didn't get chance. Also, does anyone know if you can just drop into your dr's to get one or do you need an appointment? If an appointment is needed it will almost certainly be March before I'd be able to get it.

Thanks smile

sepa Wed 10-Feb-16 21:17:48

I would say you can still get it. It's still up and down weather.

I got told to just come in and they would fit me in as pregnancy is high priority. Just call your surgery and see if they do drop ins. Takes minutes so I don't see why they wouldn't let you just come in

LovelyFriend Wed 10-Feb-16 21:19:56

I didn't get the jab last year And got the flu in June!!

TheMasterMurderedMargarita Wed 10-Feb-16 21:22:26

The practice nurse does ours.
I had it yesterday.
You can get flu at any time of year so even if it takes a while to get the appointment just do it.

MetalMidget Wed 10-Feb-16 21:30:52

I had mine today! Might have been unnecessary, as over the last week the husband's man flu graduated into full blown flu and I've not caught it (touch wood), but seeing the state he was in made me think, "Hell, I wouldn't want that even if I wasn't pregnant!"

seven201 Wed 10-Feb-16 21:32:44

I had mine done at sainsburys pharmacy. Much easier than my gp surgery!

babyconverse Wed 10-Feb-16 21:36:14

Boots do them too

PenguinWatch Wed 10-Feb-16 21:39:31

I had a group 16 week midwife appointment this week and the midwife said they are still strongly recommending it because there's been an increase in it recently.

ghostspirit Wed 10-Feb-16 21:42:48

I had one with my last pregnancy I had cough/cold/ mild flu type thing for about 6 weeks. No way am I having it this time

headexplodesbodyfreezes Wed 10-Feb-16 21:44:50

There's lots of flu around at the moment

PHE report here

AnnaT45 Wed 10-Feb-16 21:46:50

My midwife said this is one of the worse years for flu and she's been a midwife for over thirty years! She said it's really worth doing it

socktastic Wed 10-Feb-16 21:53:40

I'm going for mine on Friday - at 20 weeks. I've had an awful time with coughs and colds recently and I've been pretty miserable. Think it's best just to get the jab done so I'm not gong to be any more miserable!!!
I'd say just go for it. It's better than not getting it.

randomsabreuse Wed 10-Feb-16 21:55:30

Def still around. DH has it currently. Also make sure you get the whooping cough booster - currently awaiting test results for that too, lots of very persistent coughs lurking in adults.

Vap0 Wed 10-Feb-16 22:05:51

Wow, thanks for all your responses. I didn't realise it was so prevalent. Will give the dr's a call in the morning and see if they can squeeze me in.

DrunkenUnicorn Thu 11-Feb-16 07:39:54

I've been thinking about this. Is it ok to get if you've been exposed to flu?

I'm 23w and I've spent the whole of this week nursing ds (12). I thought he had a nasty bug of some description but took him to dr yesterday as he has been so dizzy he is a danger to himself, I'm having to help him to to loo/bath etc and dr said its flu and now a secondary infection of tonsillitis.

So... Would I already have been exposed to it? Is it pointless getting it now? Is it more dangerous getting it now?

TheGreaterGood Thu 11-Feb-16 11:14:19

I had mine a few weeks ago. The official flu 'season' ends in March but you can still get it. Surgeries start running down their supplies around now though and mine had to check they still had inoculations in stock before making me an appointment, so worth phoning to check, in case you need to go elsewhere? The nurse did mine and I was able to get an appointment within a coupe of days.

Vap0 Thu 11-Feb-16 17:31:33

Flu jab done today! They managed to squeeze me in.
Thanks again everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now