Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Unsure of my midwife notes?

(11 Posts)
charlottexox Wed 10-Feb-16 18:27:36

Hi ladies smile.
I had my first scan on Monday and the MW worked out that I was 11 weeks and 3 days, so not as far we thought I would be.
But as this is my first pregnancy I'm wondering what some of my notes mean, and if they are good and bad. Maybe as a first time mummy I am being a bit too much, but just want to make sure.

So the MW put the CRL (crown-rump length) down as 46.7mm.
I understand that is measuring the baby.
But for 11W and 3D I don't know if that's normal or if it's behind on growing?
What were yours?
I do understand that sometimes babies grow at different rates, so maybe I am being a bit too much of a worrier.

Also a completely different question which I don't want to make a entire new post for, I just indulged in some chocolate crepes chocolate and I don't know if they're OK to eat while pregnant, considering it's chocolate?

CurlsLDN Wed 10-Feb-16 18:31:32

There's no problem with eating chocolate when pregnant.

In my notes there was a glossary to explain some terms, and the measurements were plotted on a centile chart (which is how I understood that ds was unusually small at the time)
Not sure if that was just my hospital or standard

sepa Wed 10-Feb-16 18:34:12

Chocolate is fine in pregnancy. I'm sure this baby will come out followed by a 10lb bar of chocolate I have eaten so much. Just watch your consumption if you have a BMI as you don't want GD.

I'm terms of measurements I'm not sure but there should be a page with it on. Did you get these measurements from a scan?

Sidge Wed 10-Feb-16 18:36:57

The measurements would have been taken from your dating scan - if they were concerned they would have mentioned it and booked you in for further monitoring so I think you can relax on that one smile

Chocolate is fine in pregnancy - virtually compulsory I reckon! There are a few things that may be worth avoiding, have a look here for some sensible advice

Have a happy and healthy pregnancy.

CultureSucksDownWords Wed 10-Feb-16 18:38:49

They would absolutely have mentioned to you if the baby's CRL was not in the expected range. You'd have further scans booked in or some kind of follow up at least. So don't worry smile

VagueIdeas Wed 10-Feb-16 18:39:28

So the MW put the CRL (crown-rump length) down as 46.7mm.
*I understand that is measuring the baby.
But for 11W and 3D I don't know if that's normal or if it's behind on growing?*

They use the size of the baby to work out the gestational age.

So the measurement they took is exact for 11 weeks and 3 days, according to their guidelines.

A little bigger and it would have been measured at 11 weeks and 4 days. A little smaller and it would have been measured at 11 weeks and 2 days. Does that make sense? smile

lastnightiwenttomanderley Wed 10-Feb-16 18:40:40

Did they not put a scan page in your notes? Ours had all measurements plotted on a little line scale (one for each measurement) so you could see how they compared on the centiles - all babies are different so some will naturally be bigger or smaller.

And I suspect someone has been a bit mean if they told you chocolate was off limits - are you worried about the caffeine? A small amount of chocolate won't be a problem.

seven201 Wed 10-Feb-16 18:41:18

I'm sure they'd have said something if they were worried about the size.

Are you saying that's you've got to 11 weeks and a bit and this the first chocolate you've eaten?!!! I think I'm made of chocolate now as I've eaten so much.

charlottexox Wed 10-Feb-16 20:44:20

Thanks for all of your advice ladies! It's really appreciated.
I haven't been able to find the chart that is in my pregnancy booklet. Not sure why that is?hmm. Did have a good look through tooconfused.
But the MW didn't mention anything so I guess that's all OK smile
The chocolate thing worries me because of the caffeine, and my craving is magic stars! I am overweight, so my BMI is high so I will need to watch what I am eating!

CultureSucksDownWords Wed 10-Feb-16 20:54:55

This webpage has advice about how much caffeine is recommended:

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a3955/caffeine-and-pregnancy-whats-safe

I think that the odd bar of chocolate here or there is not going to get anywhere near the limits!

FatimaLovesBread Wed 10-Feb-16 21:04:10

They don't tend to do the chart until 20 weeks as that is when they measure head, abdomen and femur.

Also, was it a midwife that scan you? A midwife's not normally trained in scanning. It would normally be a sonographer.

Vague is correct on the measurements, 46.7mm it what the average length is for 11w 3d

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now