Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low Platelets Last Few Weeks

(4 Posts)
DC905210 Wed 10-Feb-16 14:54:16

Hi There,

My wife for the last two blood tests has shown low platelets.

Not mega low but going down. The last one was 120 and it should be 150+.

She is going in for another test tomorrow (11th Feb) and we are due on 19th Feb so not long at all.

She wants a home birth (we have the pool hired in etc already) but this issue is putting that in doubt.

I have seen some people talk about much lower platelet levels and being watched very carefully but the midwife is simply unsure as the whether my wife will be OK to have the birth at home or not.

Have any of you guys had or heard of being OK to give birth at home with moderately low plateley levels like I am describing?

Thanks in advance, John

Pinklily1 Wed 10-Feb-16 16:05:35

Hi

I have also been told I have low platelets, although I am much earlier on in my pregnancy. I saw the consultant a few weeks ago and she said it would only have any bearing on the birth if the levels dropped to 80 or below, in which case I would not be able to have an epidural or c section.

I'd get your wife's midwife to seek another opinion if she isn't sure.

Lbee123 Wed 10-Feb-16 16:48:04

I'm 39 weeks and my last platelet count was 113. I saw the consultant for a separate issue and they told me the same as pp that they only act upon it if it drops to 80 or below.

Jellybean100 Wed 10-Feb-16 17:11:41

I doubt if they drop any lower that your wife would be allowed a home birth. Of course she can still have one but it would be recommended against. Below 80 is no epidural, below 50 is a transfusion at some hospitals. However below 150 means an increased risk of bleeding. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now