Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Confused, is this possible? Similar experiences?

(7 Posts)
W0rried Wed 10-Feb-16 12:44:14

Sorry in advance as this is probably going to be long but I will keep it as short as I can.

12 years ago now I started with a pain in my left hand side that gradually got worse and developed into my pelvic area, when the pain finally got unbearably bad I took myself off to the doctors. As it turned out I had a UTI and was also diagnosed as being pregnant.

5 years later one day I suddenly started with the exact same symptoms and just knew I had a water infection and that it would mean I am pregnant. I took myself off to the doctors who did indeed confirm I had a UTI. I told the doctor that I was sure it was a sign that I must be pregnant due to the only other time I have had these exact same symptoms and a UTI were when I was last pregnant and so asked for pregnancy safe antibiotics. The doctor told me UTI's are very common and that he thought my suggestion was outlandish but performed a pregnancy test anyway. The test came back negative but I still could not shake the feeling that he was wrong, I just felt different somehow. A week later I went and purchased a pregnancy test and it came back positive proving to me that I was not losing my marbles.

When my youngest son was just under a year old I started with the exact same symptoms again, again off to the doctor I trotted. They confirmed I had a UTI but said I would have to do my own pregnancy test if I was convinced it was a sign. I went away and did a first response test, I was unclear on the result so gave it a week and did another, I was very clearly pregnant however I did not continue this pregnancy for several reasons. I do not really regret my decision, it was the right decision at the time but its not something that have ever got out of my head and I have been careful not to end up in this position again. That was 6 years ago.

Anyway roll on last Thursday, I started with mild pain in my pelvic area which progressively got worse and it then it started to hurt more when I went for a pee. I thought nothing of it and decided I was going to see how I went on and if no better by Monday I would go to the doctors. By Friday I was feeling sick (all day) and by evening I was in quite a lot of discomfort and then it started that all telling pain in my side and a light bulb went on and all I could think was 'oh fuck'. My pain continued to get worse as the time went on and also spread to my lower back, I had started taking paracetamol but it was no longer really helping except to take the edge off, by Sunday afternoon I was really struggling so I called 111 and they got a doctor to call me back. The doctor was willing to prescribe me drugs for a UTI over the phone based on what I had said however was adamant in telling me it is "absolutely impossible" for me to be pregnant as the start of my last period was (at the time - sun) only 2 weeks previous and the only time I had had sex had been 2 days after the end of my period - the previous Sat (a week ago not the day before) and I would only just be ovulating around now. In the end she decided to get me to go into the out of hours to see a doctor in person with a water sample as being a Sunday she didn't know which pharmacies would be open to send the prescription to directly.

The doctor I saw has also said that a pregnancy is highly unlikely but he performed a test anyway which came back negative, no shock there it didn't the last 2 times first time round, all that means to me is that my HCG levels are not yet high enough to detect. However the test for a UTI has also come back negative. The doctor says its unlikely to be appendicitis as its the wrong side and that with my blood pressure and temperature both being normal and a lack of discharge it is unlikely to be a pelvic infection so he's stumped. He prescribed me strong painkillers and told me that if the pain worsened through the night to go to A&E or to otherwise go to my own GP in the morning as I may need to be referred to a gynaecologist. My own doctors cannot fit me in until tomorrow. By yesterday the stronger painkillers had stopped working and my breasts have become sore (something I normally get for about 5 or 6 days prior to my period starting except I'm not due for well over a week at least) and I was getting sharp pains on my right side periodically, I struggled through the day and went to bed at around half past 6 but struggled to settle as I hurt. I woke up this morning pain free (apart from my sore breasts) and the sickness has lessened, though as the day as gone on the pain has returned ever so slightly.

I can not shake that feeling that I am pregnant, I have no-one in real life I can confide in and talk to and I am not ready to talk to my partner about it because I don't want to potentially damage our relationship further (its not been great of late) over something that may not even be because I am pretty certain he will want us to have this baby and I'm not sure I can / could, our circumstances are a million miles away from being ideal but at the same time I'm worried I cannot go through with another termination.

If you have made it this far then thanks.

My questions I suppose are:

Is it really impossible for me to be pregnant?
If not is it really impossible to get such strong symptoms so early on when I can only have conceived at best 9 days ago (5 days when symptoms started).

If this is not just some dodgy way of my body telling me I'm pregnant and making me suffer for it then does anyone else know what my symptoms could be indicative of?

I'm really unsure as to whether I should bother with the doctor tomorrow, my symptoms are subsiding and I know I will only be looked at like I am off my rocker again and waiting to do a test at home is killing me, I feel like I need to know. I'm just so confused.

JessieMcJessie Wed 10-Feb-16 12:55:59

What a nightmare for you. If you hadn't had the same thing happen three times before and turned out to be pregnant I'd say it was highly unlikely. The dates are all wrong.

Can I ask very gently why you were not using contraception?

I'd say you should definitely see the GP tomorrow as it sounds like you do need a gynae referral, pregnancy or no pregnancy. In the meantime it's probably best to behave as if you are pregnant (no booze, folic acid ) and just wait it out because a pregnancy will eventually show on a test or your next period will come.

If you are pregnant there is plenty of time to decide whether a termination would be right for you, no need to plan that far ahead yet.

Good luck.

W0rried Wed 10-Feb-16 13:20:28

Thanks Jesse. We went out on the Sat night, something of a rarity, had quite a bit to drink, had a good time, got home and got caught in the moment, did stop partway through and put a condom on. Not ideal yes I am aware, it should have been on first I know, I feel stupid and I have cried a lot, I know I have no-one else to blame for this situation but myself.

JessieMcJessie Wed 10-Feb-16 13:27:35

Even less likely you are pregnant then, if condom was on when he actually came. Yes a few swimmers might have got in there early but combined with you being in totally the wrong part of your cycle at the time, the chances of conceiving are pretty slim.

Do go to the doc tomorrow though. Maybe you have something like endometriosis.

W0rried Wed 10-Feb-16 13:39:27

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought endometriosis only affected you during an actual period?

I was suspected to have it when I was younger as I had very irregular, cripling periods that then lasted for about 2 weeks at a time. The waiting list at the hospital for investigation was so long I had fallen pregnant with my 1st before they had ever got round to getting me into hospital which wasn't even considered until after years of being tried with numerous drugs and drug combinations to try and make them bearable as I would often need a full week at a time off school / college to lie at home crying my eyes out. I never had symptoms outside of a period. After having my first child my periods became a lot less painful and more regular, since my 2nd I barely suffer much with period pains at all.

JessieMcJessie Wed 10-Feb-16 14:23:56

I'm not a doctor W0rried but I believe the symptoms can vary widely. It could be anything, best to discuss with the GP.

JessieMcJessie Fri 12-Feb-16 11:19:07

How did you get on yesterday?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now