Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Not as far along as I thought...?

(5 Posts)
charlottexox Tue 09-Feb-16 10:48:15

Hi ladies,
yesterday I went for my first scan and of course was very nervous.
Did get to see the baby on the screen, kicking it's little legs smile but according to my GP and also my the NHS website I should be 13/14 weeks, but the midwife yesterday said I was 11 weeks and 2 days (now 3 days) and I am not sure as to why that would be?
My cycle length for my last period was 35 days, could that be anything to do with it?hmm
It is my first pregnancy, so I am worrying about every little thing lately!
Also my due date is for August 26th.

Junosmum Tue 09-Feb-16 10:53:30

If that was a long cycle then you could have ovulated later than you thought which would account for about 5 days.

My dates be lmp was 21/1 but the scan moved me forward a week. I knew it was wrong as we only had sex once that months! DS was born 2 weeks early by there dates and 3 weeks by my dates, des said he seemed more like 37 weeks than 38, so they don't always get it right!

Miloarmadillo1 Tue 09-Feb-16 10:56:29

It's because they date pregnancy from your last period and assume everyone has a 28 day cycle and ovulated day 14. If you have longer cycles then you'll be a bit behind. They'll alter your due date based on the dating scan. As long as baby is in their happily kicking away it's nothing to worry about.

cheekstime Tue 09-Feb-16 12:14:23

Hi charlottexox

I have had the same doubt since they put me forward 7 days after the scan. The dates don't make sense but apparently 13wk bubs looks different from a 12 week though, so jurys out...who knows for me.

Realising all a bit of guess work they also allow for a margin of a week either side I think for error. Congratulations by the way flowers

JessieMcJessie Tue 09-Feb-16 13:34:01

My due date is 31 August so only 5 days after yours and I am 10 weeks 6 days today. I had IVF so no doubt about conception date.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now