Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cleaning out hamster cage while pregnant?

(7 Posts)
ilovechocolate80 Mon 08-Feb-16 17:23:35

Posted on small animals bit, but thought I'd ask here. I'm 14 weeks and as DP works away, I've been cleaning out my DD'a hamster cage all of this pregnancy. STUPIDLY Googled it and read that it's potentially dangerous because of an infection that hamsters can catch from wild mice at breeding centres/shops called 'LCMV'. Never heard of it, hoping it's so rare that NHS doesn't tell people about it. Looking for some reassurance cause I'm such a worrier!

Artioo2 Mon 08-Feb-16 17:39:23

A quick read around suggests the risk is incredibly small, especially if you've had no symptoms. It's horrible suddenly hearing about something like this after you've already done it, but remember that the chances of having caught it are really, really tiny.

sepa Mon 08-Feb-16 17:42:22

I have cleaned out the cats litter tray when oh hasnt been here (he can do it when he is coz why take the risk grin) just make sure your not touching it then putting your hands in your mount & no open cuts on your hands

ilovechocolate80 Mon 08-Feb-16 18:04:31

That's exactly it Artitioo2 - when you've done it. Just asked midwife and said she'd never heard of it in her career. Nothing on nhs website either. Decided it must be so uncommon, in the UK at least, that it's not considered enough to worry pregnant ladies about. Just also read that although it's thought to be very under diagnosed, there's only be 35 cases of congenital infection since 1970-something! It's been 8 years since I was preggers and I thought I'd missed something. Sepa - like you, I have to do this stuff! I'd forgotten what an anxiety mind-field being pregnant is. sad xx

ilovechocolate80 Mon 08-Feb-16 18:05:39

Thanks for googling it for me Artitioo2 smile x

CornishDoll82 Mon 08-Feb-16 19:38:31

I got freaked about this when we had mice in the house. I really wouldn't worry as it is very rare!

PurpleCrazyHorse Tue 09-Feb-16 09:49:05

I had to do the cat litter tray while pregnant when DH was away. I bought some latex gloves online and used those when DTD. I made sure to wash my hands thoroughly after too.

I'd get some gloves and not worry about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now