Talk

Advanced search

Chicken pox and pregnancy?

(4 Posts)
alliemarg Mon 08-Feb-16 13:07:14

Hi there - chicken pox is doing the rounds among the toddlers and I am 31 weeks pregnant. DD1 has not caught it yet but I'm sure it's coming and I've been mingling with lots of kids at Tumble Tots and the like.

I have had chicken pox as a kid so I understand it's not really a risk buy my question is - did anybody get vaccinated as a precaution? Or is it just business as normal as the risk of having chicken pox twice is so rare? Do the routine blood tests check if you are immune?

Sunbeam1112 Mon 08-Feb-16 14:10:00

Yes a blood test will show if yor immune. I never had chicken pox but carry I an immunity to it in my blood.
( i had blood tests prior to starting my nursing course) When my mother was heavily pregnant with me my two brothers had chicken pox. As a child i never came into contact with someone else who had it so dont know i developed an immuntity Its only dangerous i believe in early pregnancy when the foetus is still in its early development stages. My DS got it and i never got it whatsoever.

BeautifulLiar Mon 08-Feb-16 14:16:29

All my three D.C. got chickenpox in November when I was about 23 weeks pregnant. I have had it as a child. The midwife wasn't worried at all.

alliemarg Mon 08-Feb-16 16:43:32

Great, thanks everyone, that is reassuring. Oof three babies sick with chicken pox at the same time, must have been hard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now