Advanced search

Can someone please help me I'm bleeding

(21 Posts)
Rmaveale1 Mon 08-Feb-16 01:25:31

I hope someone is awake but doubt it sad so scared and I feel so bad. This pregnancy is a complete shock as I used protection. I went for a paid private scan last week and she told me I was 16 weeks and a few days and to seek midwife asap as I hadn't already (thought I was early on) I also found out I was having a girl (didn't ask but she wrote it on the sheet) I booked an abortion consultation after at 17 weeks and went talked to them etc and told them I would think about it. Haven't seen a midwife because was considering abortion. It was actually only yesterday I realised the practicalities of this could work and decided I would keep her.

I feel so bad now that I even considered it and I'm bleeding sad I don't know what to do. It's not much, I've put a tampon in which I'm going to check in a minute. I've attached pictures of the bleeding and also jelly (mucus plug) came out prior to this blood. I have very dull cramps and feel a bit light headed but think it's because I'm worried. I've attached a pic of the blood I got when I wiped and sorry if anyone's squeamish.

Do I just phone 111 or go to a and e or what? I'm scared I will get in to trouble or be made to feel bad as I'm 17 weeks and haven't had a midwife or nhs scans yet sad

Rmaveale1 Mon 08-Feb-16 01:26:25

Tampon has blood on it too was hoping it wouldn't sad

pookamoo Mon 08-Feb-16 01:28:02

You won't be in any trouble. flowers

Call 111 and ask to speak to a doctor or nurse. They are most likely to advise you to go to a&e or out of hours doctor.

VimFuego101 Mon 08-Feb-16 01:28:16

I would call 111 and ask their advice - there may be an early pregnancy unit you can go to instead of A and E.

I don't think you should put a tampon in - a pad would be better.

MollyRedskirts Mon 08-Feb-16 01:33:47

First things first - have a sit down and a cup of tea. You sound like you're in shock and no wonder, your poor head must be all over the place.

You absolutely will not get into trouble for not having a midwife already. Loads of women find out they're pregnant quite far into the pregnancy, or give birth without even knowing they were pregnant. Please put those fears out of your head - people will want to help you.

Since you don't have a midwife, I would call 111 and explain you don't have one yet, but you need advice. They should be able to find a number for you or give you advice themselves. One of my local hospitals has a 24hr gynaecology emergency room and that's where I'd go, but I doubt that's a common facility, so you need to ring 111 and ask for advice first.

Please try not to panic, ok? If you need someone to chat to, I'm up for the next hour and I'll pop back in and check for replies. flowers

MollyRedskirts Mon 08-Feb-16 01:34:24

I forgot to say, I would take the tampon out, but I see you've had other replies while I was typing mine.

Curlywurly4 Mon 08-Feb-16 01:36:51

You poor thing. Try not to panic and only use pads. Tampons increase the risk of infection.

Doesn't look like too much bleeding and some bleeding can be normal in pregnancy. Is there fresh red blood? Have you had sex recently? It can sometimes cause a bit of a bleed.

I would go the the early pregnancy unit first thing and get checked out but try not to worry too much (hard I know). Hope you've got someone with you.

Baconyum Mon 08-Feb-16 01:41:19

You shouldn't wear a tampon as potential for infection and other complications.

They absolutely will not have a problem with you having just found out you're pregnant, this is very common. Ditto considering abortion. The first time I fell pregnant I was very young and hadn't had chance to get my head round it when I mc and yes I went through the 'maybe I thought myself into mc' thoughts too. You're not to blame mc happens for all sorts of impossible to prevent or predict reasons. Especially with unplanned pregnancies as you've not had a chance to prepare your body for pregnancy. Speak to 101and see what they say, possibly trip to ooh or a&e may be necessary but tbh if you've no pain or other symptoms there's not much they can do so a visit to gp may be all that's needed.

Rmaveale1 Mon 08-Feb-16 01:53:56

Thanks for all of your advise. I've changed and I'm wearing a pad at the moment. Having a lot of discharge as well as the blood. I haven't had sex for two weeks so can't be that. At my last scan I got told my placenta was blocking my cervix and that if they didn't pick this up at my nhs scan to tell them that the private sonographer pointed it out and then they may look in to. I researched it when I got home and I read that can cause bleeding so I'm living in hope that it could be that? I think if I was mc then I would be bleeding a lot more than this as I'm 17 weeks and this is just a small amount. I'm going to lie down for half an hot see if bleeding gets worse or I get pain then will call them as my sons in the house and to go to a & e I would need to wake him up and take him as my mum wouldn't be able to have him until the morning so don't want to go unless it's a necessity. If not then I'm going too call them tomorrow and see if the epu can see me

RJnomore1 Mon 08-Feb-16 01:56:19

Ok I'm no expert but that's dark so not fresh blood however what you said about the placenta makes me think you should call for advice. That can be really dangerous for you and the baby. Please call and talk to someone medically qualified.

PinanNidan Mon 08-Feb-16 02:01:22

I would definitely try and get in touch with your out of hours gp. Given what you have said you need checking at the early pregnancy unit.
You won't be in any trouble for no midwife appointments please don't worry.

DixieNormas Mon 08-Feb-16 02:25:50

phone your maternity unit, I had quite a lot of bleeding with ds2 and all was fine but you need to be checked out

MollyRedskirts Mon 08-Feb-16 02:44:39

Yes, please phone your nearest maternity unit. You need to speak to someone qualified. We can hold your hand, but we aren't medical people.

thecatsarecrazy Mon 08-Feb-16 07:16:12

How are things this morning?

Crumbles12 Mon 08-Feb-16 07:39:07

When I was pregnant with DS I had a lot of bleeding similar to this, normally the doctors tell you it is probably nothing to worry about, especially if it isn't accompanied by cramps and the bleeding doesn't fill a pad. The jelly discharge coming away with it could well just be normal discharge which can increase in pregnancy mixing with the bleeding. I agree with 111, I called them with bleeding and they made me an appointment the next morning in the EPU at the hospital. Try not to worry, everything is probably fine flowers

Nicky333 Mon 08-Feb-16 08:20:33

I have a low placenta (touching the cervix rather than covering it) and I was told that if I had any blood AT ALL, to rung the maternity assessment ward straight away.

notapizzaeater Mon 08-Feb-16 08:33:37

It won't hurt to ring the unit and see what they suggest X

Rmaveale1 Mon 08-Feb-16 12:40:42

I haven't bled since yesterday and I got a jelly lump with a tiny tinged bit of blood in but that's all this morning. I used my Doppler yesterday night and found babies heartbeat which managed to get me off to sleep better. I phoned 111 this morning and they told me to call my gp for an appointment. I did and they said that they can't see me till Wednesday. Phoned back 111 and told them and they said that I need to explain my situation to the receptionist and I will be booked in as urgent but haven't done that yet. I don't know what I'm expecting my gp to do anyway considering they have no ultrasound equiptment there. I've also made a self referral to a midwife on the website so I'm hoping one calls me soon when they read how many weeks I am

MollyRedskirts Mon 08-Feb-16 12:47:10

That all sounds very positive. 111 might think you need to see your GP to grt a referral to your midwife. Accessing midwives is done differently all over the country.

If I were you, I'd be hunting out a phone number for the midwives so you can explain what's been going on and that you need to have a booking in appointment urgently because you also need medical advice.

LBOCS2 Mon 08-Feb-16 12:53:40

Have a look on your local trust's website - some will allow you to self refer to midwives. There also might be a number on there you can call to speak to them. You can also often present yourself at an EPAU where you will have access to midwives and sonographers - they're often walk in clinics but check the opening hours before going over there!

pookamoo Mon 08-Feb-16 13:43:26

Hi again OP.

If you have a local Midwife Led Maternity Unit (quite rare I suppose) you can call them and ask to speak to a midwife.
Hope everything is ok.

Just one other thing is sometimes midwives advise against using a doppler at home as they can sometimes cover up important things and provide reassurance when you still need to be seen. I am NOT at all saying this is so in your case, just that, at 16 weeks, you really should see a midwife to get checked as you haven't been before.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: