Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What is happening to my hands when I sleep?

(18 Posts)
sepa Sun 07-Feb-16 08:21:29

I have started waking up throughout the night due to being uncomfortable but I have noticed that when I wake up that my hands are painful and some of my fingers sort of lock into place when I make a cost shape.
This all completely goes during the day.

Is this down to baby sitting on nerves? It happens in both hands but I do switch between laying on my left and right side

Gunting Sun 07-Feb-16 08:27:14

This happened to me when I was pregnant and it's really sore.

I think it is carpal tunnel and you can get hand braces for it if it's bad. I didn't use one and it stopped as soon as my son was born

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 07-Feb-16 08:29:28

It's carpal tunnel. Second the hand braces

cheapandcheerful Sun 07-Feb-16 08:35:08

I had carpel tunnel too. I had to peel my fingers open with my other hand every time I clenched my fist. Also disappeared the day I gave birth. Pregnancy is weird.

marmaladegranny Sun 07-Feb-16 08:37:34

Occasionally carpal tunnel syndrome (and it does sound like this) does not resolve after pregnancy - sorry… If i does persist it is easily fixed with a minor op.
Try hanging the hand down over the edge of the bed as this can help though difficult if it is both hands!

Piffpaffpoff Sun 07-Feb-16 08:51:26

I had that - wrist braces and a better, more supportive pillow are required. Took about 9 months for mine to return to normal after DS was born.

RNBrie Sun 07-Feb-16 08:54:23

Carpal tunnel! I didnt have it when I was pregnant but I did when I was breastfeeding. Wore wrist supports over night which really helped and it went away after a couple of months. GP said it's extremely common during pregnancy and breastfeeding...

FannyFifer Sun 07-Feb-16 08:56:12

Has this as well, carpal tunnel, wore wrist splints for months.
I got them from maternity physio.

sepa Sun 07-Feb-16 08:57:50

I gotta get this baby out of me. My body is breaking due to pregnancy. I have just been diagnosed with Obstetric Cholestasis and now this potentially

Margoonyawill Sun 07-Feb-16 09:21:28

I had this first time round too -- carpal tunnel. Wrist braces are hilarious but do work. It's caused -- or was in my case -- by swelling, so keep an eye out for other signs of oedema. How far are you along?

sepa Sun 07-Feb-16 09:28:28

I'm 35 weeks now. I am getting swelling but so far no protein and blood pressure ok.

I'm back with the consultant on Tuesday so I think I'm going to try and push to be induced earlier than 40 weeks (due to the obstetric cholestasis) and now potentially carpal tunnel

GastonsPomPomWrath Sun 07-Feb-16 09:29:02

I got it in my third pregnancy, it went after the birth. Then I had it in my fourth pregnancy and was left with minor symptoms after which flared on occasion. Unfortunately, it seems to have remained after my fifth pregnancy. The gp wants to see if it resolves first, the baby is 4 months old, before I can have an op.

Rpj16 Sun 07-Feb-16 09:32:22

I had this, Midwife said it was just swelling when I suggested CTS. It went away by week 38.hth

sepa Sun 07-Feb-16 09:35:06

Pregnancy is a such a beautiful thing...

Margoonyawill Sun 07-Feb-16 12:40:46

35 weeks is great, you're only two weeks from term so even if you do need to be induced your little person should be ready for the world. FWIW the carpal tunnel was an early sign of oedema for me, which led to PE & I was induced at just short of 37 weeks (completely fine & uncomplicated -- son now 19 months & brilliant!). Carpal tunnel disappeared immediately following the birth & I've had no probs with it since.

But yes, completely agree sepa pregnancy is a joy. Next person to talk about pregnancy 'glow' to me in RL gets a punch -- though, in fairness, it's not a word that anyone has ever used to describe the pregnant me!

Margoonyawill Sun 07-Feb-16 12:43:05

It's pretty rare to have cholestasis & PE btw. Good luck!

sepa Sun 07-Feb-16 13:19:16

Haha Marg I don't think it has been used towards me either!
I really am just ready for this baby to come out.

I will get the hospital just to check my feet again when I am there on Tuesday anyway just in case it is oedema

malvinandhobbes Sun 07-Feb-16 14:07:13

I had carpal tunnel with my first at the end of pregnancy, it was awful but cleared up soon after birth.

I just wanted to add that I have been suffering sore hands early in this pregnancy, it was really bad around 11-13 weeks. I would wake up with sore hands and night and my hands would be so cold during the day. It was low blood pressure and is okay now.

I expect I will get carpal tunnel again later, just wanted to chime in that it isn't always carpal tunnel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now