Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

talk to me about membrane sweep

(23 Posts)
mayaknew Sat 06-Feb-16 21:50:18

Booked for one on Monday morning I'll be 40+6 with dc3.

I've never had to get one before so not sure what it's like if it will work or how long they take to work.

I'm in two minds whether to get it or not because ds has chicken pox and he'll probably still be infectious on Monday but if I thought it would take a few days to work anyway I would just get it. Really don't know what to doconfused

heymammy Sat 06-Feb-16 22:03:33

I found it very very uncomfortable...like sharp intake of breath uncomfortable...feels like the midwife is trying to grab your tonsils! I had my sweep at 40 + 2 and had ds two days later.

Dixiechick17 Sat 06-Feb-16 22:10:04

For me it was no more uncomfortable than a smear test. I had it done twice, my cervix was very favourable, the first sweep at 37 weeks the midwife was sure I would have the baby by the weekend as was 1cm dilated The second sweep at forty weeks I was 2-3cm and she could stretch to 4cm, went into labour four days later.

mrslebon Sat 06-Feb-16 22:22:18

My cervix was very unfavourable and I had about six sweeps. Nothing happened. I wouldn't do it again unless I knew what my Bishop's Score was (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_score). I found it uncomfortable, like a smear test, but I am really bad at having those!

mayaknew Sat 06-Feb-16 22:47:22

Thanks that's helpful. So the cervix needs go be favourable for the midwife to do it ? Or will she do it anyway but it just might not work ?

I feel a bit reassured that it's not going to work immediately I was thinking if it was going to work I'd be in labour by Monday night blush so it takes longer than that. Might be worth getting done then.

Thenightswatch Sat 06-Feb-16 23:24:06

With my DS I had about 3 but midwife could never reach my cervix as it was really far back, I wouldn't say it was sore, uncomfortable, felt like she was trying to force a fist up there.

The with DD, same midwife, I had one sweep, my cervix was very favorable, and was about 1cm dilated, wasnt sore again, just again uncomfortable, went in to labour the next morning smile

Good look with whatever you decide!

Gunting Sat 06-Feb-16 23:27:45

My midwife said they only work if you're going to go into labour within 24 hours naturally without interventions so I just left it and refused

PeaceLoveAndMincePies Sun 07-Feb-16 00:09:01

I had one at 38+4. I had the sweep at 5pm and DS was born at about noon the next day. I started having crampy contractions immediately afterwards, but I was 1-2cm dilated already. It is uncomfortable and unpleasant, but over quickly. I'd say it was much more uncomfortable than a smear. I remember the doctor saying she could feel lots of hair on DS' head! confused Pretty up close and personal!

OrianaBanana Sun 07-Feb-16 13:02:02

Mine was terribly unpleasant and painful. In fact I don't think she managed to do it successfully.

True enough DS was born eventually at 42 weeks after every inducement known to man.

lucymootoo Sun 07-Feb-16 13:14:52

I can't remember mines, I don't think it was sore at all. Walked 1 mile home after. Had it at 40+8. Was in labour 12 hours later. She said my cervix wasn't favourable but she would attempt it. She struggled to get finger in but managed it ok.

NeedACleverNN Sun 07-Feb-16 19:38:12

I had 2 within 3 days.

The first was not uncomfortable at all. She could get a finger in my cervix and said it was nice and soft.

I started contracting irregularly that night. They stopped and started all day the next day and kept me awake all night that night.

I went to hospital in the morning and the midwife said I was about 2 cms so gave me another sweep. That time it really hurt. She was very rough and it felt more that a couple of fingers. She said she could even feel baby's head.

She admitted me to the ward to see if I progressed. About a good 12 hours later I was given an internal to check if I had progressed and lo and behold another cm. This time however no sweep but the interference down there triggered labour and ds was born 4 hours later

Mummyme87 Sun 07-Feb-16 19:46:42

They can work within a couple of hours and if they are going to workout will have by 48hrs. Your body has to be ready for it to work and you cervix needs to admit a finger to be able to do it. If it's closed then it isn't a sweep just fiddling with your cervix.

If your son has chicken pox and still infectious by Monday I would suggest avoiding it

Pleasemrstweedie Sun 07-Feb-16 19:57:44

Pretty much like a P P. Sweep at 3:00pm Thursday, labour started about 6:30pm and pottered along. Baby born at 1:15pm Friday.

donajimena Sun 07-Feb-16 19:59:46

I wished I had taken a thick leather strap to bite on grin but it was quick.

RandomMess Sun 07-Feb-16 20:02:48

I had a few with each pregnancy, painful and never worked/helped.

I wouldn't have it though until your DS chicken pox is no longer contagious!!!

silversparrow Sun 07-Feb-16 20:04:37

I did a DIY sweep (with sterile glove) as didn't want someone else putting their finger up there. All they do is insert fingertip and move it around (to dislodge plug and encourage release of hormones that stimulate labour). I went into labour 6hours after my DIY sweep!

donajimena Sun 07-Feb-16 20:43:53

silver wtaf? Please don't anyone else try this.

Runningupthathill82 Sun 07-Feb-16 20:50:45

I had one at 39+3. Apparently my cervix was very favourable, I was already 2cm dilated and she could feel the baby's head.
It didn't hurt a bit; less uncomfortable than a smear test.

Didn't work though, was another week before DD arrived.

alliemarg Sun 07-Feb-16 22:00:46

Ugh, had two and nothing happened. One was in my bedroom at home as I had a Saturday appt, very weird! In fact she said she wasn't able to perform it that time but I still went through all the discomfort.

I'm in no hurry for one this time (due April 10), there's enough prodding and poking in labour to endure. It's hard when you are desperate for baby to hurry up though, very tempting to take everything on offer. I wouldn't say it was painful, just odd and uncomfortable. This time around I'm just planning on long walks and lots of curry!

Thenightswatch Mon 08-Feb-16 08:24:47

I agree with mena, I really suggest you do not try a sweep yourself

MYA2016 Mon 08-Feb-16 11:09:44

I had a sweep on my due date at 10am and was in full blown labour 6 hrs later.
It was uncomfortable.... I didn't cry and i cry at everything! I asked her to stop after 1 min and she did.
Good luck

mayaknew Mon 08-Feb-16 13:54:01

I didn't get it they advised against due to dd having chicken pox and I agreed.
Hoping to hold off another couple days til he's no longer contagious.

Luckygirlcharlie Tue 09-Feb-16 22:00:18

silver you did your own sweep?!!! I don't even think I could reach around bump to get up there but even if I could - oh my God!!! I had 2 and they hurt like hell and did nothing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now