Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do I have to inform the council that I'm pregnant?

(14 Posts)
09ayesha09 Sat 06-Feb-16 15:01:01

Hi all smile not sure if I'm in the right place, I'm new here. I recently got accepted for a council flat, I move in next week, I recently discovered I was pregnant, and I haven't informed the council yet as I'm only 7 weeks. I'm really worried that if I inform them then they might not let me stay in the flat, I've been waiting for years on the list to have my own home, this pregnancy wasn't planned. I'm worrying that they might just say "no sorry you can't live here now" has anyone got any advice on what I should do, or if I should just not tell them? Thank you smile

NorthernLurker Sat 06-Feb-16 15:18:46

Is it just a baby or is there a partner too, who you plan to move in?

Lj8893 Sat 06-Feb-16 15:22:08

I don't think you have a duty to inform them until you actually have the baby, and I wouldn't think they can throw you out for having a baby! Lots of people in council houses have children.

09ayesha09 Sat 06-Feb-16 16:11:45

Hi NorthenLurker, it's just me no partner. smile
Hi Lj8893, thank you for your reply, that's put my mind at ease smile

usual Sat 06-Feb-16 16:18:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fifi10 Sat 06-Feb-16 16:24:45

You could tell them if you wanted to start applying for 2 bed houses or ground gloor flats with gardens etc. rather than the flat you're going to. When I used to work at the local council they allowed pregnant women to apply for properties which you had to have a child to be eligible for. If you're housed (in the flat) you would have to go back on the list and wait if you then wanted to go for a house/ different property later on. Just food for thought, but if you love the flat you certainly don't have to tell them yet.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 06-Feb-16 16:26:04

Why would it make a difference?

09ayesha09 Sat 06-Feb-16 16:56:09

Hi Fifi smile thank you for that interesting bit of information, very handy, I will keep that in mind. I definitely love the flat.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight - I had no idea, I've never moved into my own council place and I've never been pregnant so that's why I asked smile

Jumblesalesandra Sat 06-Feb-16 16:59:46

I work for a HA. No you don't need to tell them. Good luck with the pregnancy.

DixieNormas Sat 06-Feb-16 17:01:47

well some flats arnt suitable for children, however if yours isn't then you can sort that out with them later into the pg.

In our area, (unless they have to move you due to being in a flat that doesn't accept children ) they won't think about moving you or letting you bid on 2 bed flats/houses until the child is a year old.

MrsJayy Sat 06-Feb-16 17:05:54

Why do you think they wouldnt give you the flat? You dont need to tell them unless there is conditions but there shouldnt be

Jumblesalesandra Sat 06-Feb-16 18:59:47

I can't imagine any conditions on a tenancy that someone cannot become pregnant. We have tenants with babies in bed sits. No problem at all.

DixieNormas Sat 06-Feb-16 19:11:58

Well they don't tell you that you can't become pg, that would be odd. They do rehouse people though. They seem to be slowly changing them to over 60s though.

NorthernLurker Sat 06-Feb-16 19:19:11

If it's just you then I certainly can't see any reason for you to be worried. I did wonder if you were planning to move another adult in but if not then just enjoy your flat and good luck with the baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now