Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Morning sickness - how do you know what is normal or when it's something more?

(10 Posts)
Cheekylittlemonkeypants Sat 06-Feb-16 12:01:51

I'm 15 wks and since 7 wks (bar wks 11 &12) I've felt nauseous all day long and thrown up several times a day. Is it normal to still be feeling as bad as this at 15 wks? I'm struggling to get through work feeling like this and my GP doesn't want to prescribe something.

CwtchyQ Sat 06-Feb-16 12:17:18

Unfortunately, yes it can be normal as in nothing is wrong with you or the pregnancy. I had hyperemesis until 24 weeks and was throwing up up to 40 times a day. I was signed off work and prescribed meds to try and help it. My advice to you would be consult another doctor, and take it really, really easy. Stress makes the sickness so much worse. It might be a good idea to try sick bands too, I thought they were a load of rubbish but they did take the edge off so may be worth a go. I hope you start to feel better soon - take care

Abbinob Sat 06-Feb-16 12:20:31

Ask a different doctor- is it really bad like you can't drink water without being sick? Or just feel sick a lot? Tbh I think even nausea all day should be enough to get anti sickness meds, I really don't understand why pregnant women are expected to just "get on" with feeling sick constantly for months

Cheekylittlemonkeypants Sat 06-Feb-16 12:34:23

I've tried sickness bands for the last few weeks and they've not helped. I'm not being sick loads up to 3/4 times a day and feeling sick all the time, nothing helps.

LouLou030783 Sat 06-Feb-16 12:37:11

I'd try a diff gp u shouldn't be expected to just feel like that x

geekaMaxima Sat 06-Feb-16 15:01:58

Go to see another GP - or ft same one again if you have to - and bring along a printout of this.

Too many HCPs effectively tell women to suck it up (bad pun intended) when they have crippling pregnancy sickness. They shouldn't. There are all sorts of safe and effective treatments available.

The website of the above leaflet is https://www.pregnancysicknesssupport.org.uk. Very useful.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sat 06-Feb-16 15:05:41

Contact the pregnancy sickness support service they are excellent they have loads of resources. If you still have no joy as I did before I eventually registered at a new non useless GP surgery I went to out of hours and they gave me a anti sickness injection.
The pregnancy sickness support service have details of Gps in your area that are pregnancy sickness friendly and offer medication. They also have peer supporters who have been through it. I found them a godsend when I was pregnant

April2013 Sat 06-Feb-16 15:22:16

Nausea can be terrible - a lot of GPs/midwives seem to think nausea isn't so bad but it varies massively from like a mild hangover to almost impossible to deal with. I thought I had it bad with my first but with my 2nd pregnancy the nausea was intense and much worse - I think nausea and vomiting are both bad in different ways but there seems to be an attitude that if you're not being sick constantly you can't be that bad, but the nausea can be really terrible and soul destroying. I think a lot of women have morning sickness into 20+ weeks, I did both times, and some for the whole pregnancy, if it is bad and long lived medication sounds like the answer. I tried eating a huge variety of things to see what worked and didn't work, it changed from day to day what I could look at and what I couldn't - maybe if you can manage it have a browse online for food you might not normally eat but you might fancy now. I ended up with some random things in my fridge but often had to go get eg emergency chips because I couldn't face anything else. I also ate a lot of plain crackers/biscuits throughout the night or as soon as I woke up which seemed to help a bit sometimes. Really hope you feel better soon, you will get through this x

mmmminx Sat 06-Feb-16 16:52:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squeezed Sun 07-Feb-16 14:25:43

What you've described isn't "normal". The nausea can be debilitating even without the vomiting. I would suggest seeing a different gp because there is a lot of medication that could improve things for you. If work is too much, then get signed off. The tiredness and stress will just make you feel worse. I'm 25 weeks and still being sick. I've had about 8 weeks off work this pregnancy because I felt so rotten. Main thing is that you look after yourself and baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now