Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Erm... a bit worried about getting to the hospital in time in labour?

(9 Posts)
BeautifulLiar Fri 05-Feb-16 14:00:15

I'm 35+3 with baby no. 4. All my labours have been quite fast really, with the last baby being delivered by DH before anyone got to us. I was set dead on my third home birth but due to complications with the placenta; raised Dopplers and baby's growth, I'm under consultant care and have been "warned" to deliver in hospital. I will be induced on/just after due date.

I fought against this for a while but now realise it probably is for the best. Except if I go into labour before my induction date! What the hell do we do then?? DH will have to get back from wherever he's working, we'll have to organise MIL to look after the other three, then get to the hospital, which is 45 minutes away.

Panicking a bit now.

potap123 Fri 05-Feb-16 14:04:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeautifulLiar Fri 05-Feb-16 14:07:55

Oh god I'm not sure I could do that! I'm always convinced I'm not possibly in labour until the head is about to come out confused I was going to ask about being induced at 39 weeks, but I'm sure consultant won't agree and I really want to go into labour naturally sad can't win!

potap123 Fri 05-Feb-16 14:26:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jamtartandcustard Fri 05-Feb-16 15:54:47

Did any of your others come before your due date? If it happens just ring for an ambulance. In the circumstances I think it's all you can do unless you have induction/c-section early

BeautifulLiar Fri 05-Feb-16 16:28:49

2nd baby came at (just - 12:14am) 40+2 and 3rd baby on her due date.

I actually never thought about calling an ambulance. Don't want to give birth in the car!

Seeyalater Tue 09-Feb-16 10:39:29

When you go into labour your priority is getting to the hospital. Take the kids if you have to And ask childcare and husband to meet you there. Don't faff about waiting til the heads almost out- you know you labour quick- just go to the hospital as soon as you have regular contractions.

winchester1 Tue 09-Feb-16 10:44:42

I'm an hour away and didn't labour crazily quickly with my first still first twinge we called sil and the neighbour who sat with dc1 until she arrived. It was night so OH was home and drove but we'd already been advised to call an ambulance if it looked like we needed it (esp as snow / tree bocked rds are common that time if yr and helicopters are sent to emergencies if needed). Just don't faff and call an ambulance asap.

BeautifulLiar Tue 09-Feb-16 13:13:15

I know you make sense, but I have a fear of being told "oh you're only 1cm, go home" which is why I usually leave it very late before calling anyone. Need to stop being scared of that...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now