Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Want to get pregnant but so nervous about sickness

(54 Posts)
rebeccajones Fri 05-Feb-16 12:51:30

Hi
I have just joined mumsnet and we have just started trying for a baby. I am 32. I am feeling really nervous about morning sickness and it is all I can think about. I am not sure what I am expecting people to say but I wondered if anybody had any helpful advice?
Thanks
Rebecca

QforCucumber Fri 05-Feb-16 12:55:02

Not everyone experiences it, Know you won't know until you're there but I was expecting it to be bad.
Currently 35 weeks and have been sick a total of 4 times throughout the whole thing.

scaredmum2be Fri 05-Feb-16 12:56:48

Hi. I has morning sickness from weeks 5-28. Good days where for me where vomiting once. Bad days up to seven and normally I'd vomit at least three times a day. However despite all this the morning. Sickness has not been the worse part of pregnancy for me. I would have my sicknes back over my restless legs, aches and pains of the third trimester.
Not all women get morning sickness but unfortunately getting pregnant means accepting the possibility of being sick. It's horrible but it doesn't last forever and their is medication that is safe for baby to take. Phenergan really helped me out a lot.
However don't dwell on something that might never happen and don't let it put you off.

DorotheaHomeAlone Fri 05-Feb-16 12:58:16

Yep not everyone gets it. I've felt a little nauseous a handful of times in my 2 pregnancies but never been sick.

DorotheaHomeAlone Fri 05-Feb-16 12:59:24

Sorry scared. grin

rebeccajones Fri 05-Feb-16 13:00:18

Thank you scaredmum2be and Qforcucumber.

I guess I know dwelling on it will not help but I just worry about how I will get out and about and do normal things if I do suffer with it.

I know I need to put it out of my mind though! :-)

scaredmum2be Fri 05-Feb-16 13:01:15

It's ok. It's certainly not been the worst part even if it was quite bad haha

bibbitybobbityyhat Fri 05-Feb-16 13:01:27

Are you emetophobic?

I am quite a bad case and I was nervous about morning sickness (to make an understatement!). However, although I did feel the nausea quite badly at times - especially when carrying my girl - I never once threw up! Us emetophobes are renowned for our guts of steel grin.

Champagneformyrealfriends Fri 05-Feb-16 13:01:46

My morning sickness was a bit like being hungover. I was nauseous and sometimes sick but if I got to salt and vinegar crisps in time then I could sometimes fight it off! I consider myself to have been quite lucky really-some people have a terrible time of it. My mum had no morning sickness at all and my sister just felt sick but wasn't. Everybody is different and I wouldn't let it worry you too much.

Whatdoidohelp Fri 05-Feb-16 13:06:24

You won't know till your pregnant unfortunately. Both times I started vomiting at 5 weeks. I vomiting on and off for 5 months. The nausea was actually worse. What you can do is if you do start feeling ill you can go to GP for anti sickness drugs. There quite a few available. GPs will tell you blah blah not 100% safe in pregnancy but if you feel that ill you won't care.

luckiestgirlintheworld Fri 05-Feb-16 13:07:05

Why are you scared of feeling sick? Do you have a phobia?

dizzylemon Fri 05-Feb-16 13:11:20

I had four weeks of nausea in the first trimester but no throwing up at all.

Reflux is making me feel a occasionally and mildly nauseous in the third trimester but again - no chucking up.

Didn't happen to my Mum either.

It is fairly common though. If you're an emetophobe you might want to talk to your GP before conceiving to get some therapy for that initially. I had a friend who is an emetophobe and got through her pregnancy fine and even said she felt oddly fine about it in pregnancy.

KatyK1980 Fri 05-Feb-16 13:11:39

This is my second pregnancy and I was never sick with either. I was actually worried about the fact that I didn't even feel nauseous with this pregnancy as I kind of wanted more symptoms in the early days!

rebeccajones Fri 05-Feb-16 13:14:20

good spot bibbity - I am indeed emetaphobic.

I have not been sick for at least 6+ years.

I am hoping that will continue!

Or maybe being sick frequently will get me over my phobia :-/

dylsmimi Fri 05-Feb-16 13:15:28

I am pregnant with dc3 and no sickness in any pregnancy. I have always felt great - though tired. That's not a boast I promise just trying to reassure you that not everyone gets sick.
I guess you need to weigh up how much you want a baby and if a possible few months of sickness is worth it? It would be sad if you didn't have a wanted baby because of a maybe
Fwiw I was petrified of giving birth as soon as I was pregnant with dc1 and made myself feel worth. Dc2 had a much more positive mindset and a more positive birth - the mind is powerful - use it well grin

rebeccajones Fri 05-Feb-16 13:15:43

dizzly lemon - getting any therapy on the NHS would be a wait long enough that I would be in my menopause :-). However I am seeing someone privately so I hope that helps. The £100 per session is enough to make me sick though wink

kaymondo Fri 05-Feb-16 13:16:15

I've never been sick in pregnancy and I'm currently expecting my third - it's by no means guaranteed that you'll have it!

BelfastSmile Fri 05-Feb-16 13:16:22

I'm terrified of vomiting, and it did make me think twice about getting pregnant. However, I had no sickness worth mentioning - felt a bit nauseous a couple of times in the early stages, but only if I let myself get hungry. I'm also coping so far with DS vomiting, which was my other big worry... He's only 18 months, though, so I'm still scared of what happens as he gets older, but so far it's been manageable.

Champagneformyrealfriends Fri 05-Feb-16 13:17:46

Oh you poor thing if it's a phobia-I don't enjoy being sick but I'm not phobic. Have you tried hypnotherapy?

Igottastartthinkingbee Fri 05-Feb-16 13:20:01

Don't worry about something that hasn't happened yet! I had a bit of nausea in 2 pregnancies, was only sick once. Some people suffer terribly, others not at all. Best of luck

DrWhy Fri 05-Feb-16 13:20:13

I'm only 8 weeks but I've had a few days of vague nausea and nothing worse. Check with your mum, morning sickness often runs in families - mine had none at all through two pregnancies.
I'm also an emetaphobe and much more worried about dealing with the baby/child being sick later than me now! I should probably look into counselling too.

rebeccajones Fri 05-Feb-16 13:20:26

I have had hypnotherapy too but to be honest I think the guy was a bit of a crook shock.

Everybody is so kind on this site. :-)

I feel better already

rebeccajones Fri 05-Feb-16 13:21:03

My mum had very bad sickness :-(

Igottastartthinkingbee Fri 05-Feb-16 13:21:37

Sorry, just seen you have a phobia. Didn't mean to dismiss your worries so flippantly but I hope you take heart that morning sickness isn't a given.

Lisad1975 Fri 05-Feb-16 13:33:17

I had nausea for a few weeks luckily not sick but I just kept reminding myself that my body was working how it should and my pregnancy was really happening ! Before your scan you almost dont believe it! It really isnt the worst part about being pregnant lol
You can get meds from doc if you need.
Mayb you could try some relaxation if its a phobia ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now