Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cravings - or am I just greedy?!

(8 Posts)
bristollady Fri 05-Feb-16 12:36:18

Hello! I think I'm about 5 wks pregnant with my first. Yay! (Period was due 25th Jan, 2 positive tests done). I'm having a few different symptoms but I think I might be having cravings. Basically I want all things dairy! Cheese, milkshakes...etc! And also sponge cakes with that thick creamy icing on top. But is it just me being a greedy cow?! I thought it was too soon to get cravings?

When did you all get yours and what did you crave?! Also, is it true you crave sweet for a girl and savoury for a boy or us that an old wive's tale?!

skankingpiglet Fri 05-Feb-16 16:05:24

It is possible to get cravings pretty early IME. I've always just gone with whatever craving I've had whether pregnant or not, as I'm sure it's my body wanting something that's in it. Dairy cravings seem to be fairly common, and I got them last time in the first tri (cheese. Remember sitting in my van and eating an entire pack of babybels blush) and third tri (ice cream by the tub). I also craved tuna, red meat, and pick'n'mix and had a girl. This time it's been fishy fish, red meat, and sour sweets again, with the addition of anything really salty, sour or acidic. And crunchy, weirdly, given I'm sure there aren't specific nutrients attributed to 'crunchy'! I've been eating McCoy's, oranges, and bell peppers lately like they are going out of fashion. Only halfway through so time for more yet. I don't know the sex of the baby however so can't compare if that effects cravings differently from last time.

skankingpiglet Fri 05-Feb-16 16:12:31

Ahem affects.
Yup, definitely nap time.

sophied1983 Sat 06-Feb-16 08:25:54

My weird ones have been lemon chicken from a Chinese takeaway (never eat that usually) and a chicken kebab in pitta.

So bizarre!!!

bristollady Sat 06-Feb-16 11:10:15

Haha! That's so funny. I'm glad I'm not the only one. The idea of sitting in a van eating all the Babybels made me chuckle. Chicken seems like a sensible one - it's good for you! Personally, I am all about the grilled cheese toasties and Monster Munch right now.

Snowflake16 Sat 06-Feb-16 13:23:00

I've had the same cravings bistol I've had a very sweet tooth right from the start craving things like chocolate, sweets and cake even donuts at one point and I'm not that keen on them normally. I also found durning the first trim I had a lot of cheese and cream again something I don't normally eat. I'm 23 weeks now and still craving sweet things and I'm having a girl.

0phelia Sat 06-Feb-16 13:28:48

At a basic level pregnancy makes you feel starving and I found myself unable to walk past any food without shoving it in my mouth! Your body is looking to fill up with nutrition and fluids.

Specific cravings vary, and yes I did get cravings from as early as 5 weeks, meaning I was eating double lunches and 3 course dinners from conception!

Oddly, I went off tea/coffee (made me feel sick) and saught highly acidic citrus foods.

Moglet85 Sat 06-Feb-16 14:49:12

I'm around 5wks too- currently cannot abide milk or yogurt, and all I want is chow mein followed by a Pink Lady apple! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now