Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby in a one-bed flat

(12 Posts)
strangerjo Thu 04-Feb-16 09:09:04

How have people coped with a baby in a one-bed flat? We're in a tiny flat with a combined kitchen and living room, and a very small bedroom. We can't get a mortgage. It was a big reason I almost decided not to go ahead with the pregnancy but here I am, 36 wks along and wondering how we'll cope. Any tips or advice would be welcomed!

Heavenscent86 Thu 04-Feb-16 10:16:15

I have a similar issue. Very little space and I'm starting to panic now how I'm going to fit everything in. I think next week I will have to see if I can have a big clear out to make space for the baby and it's things. No clue where the clothes are going to go. I'm planning to breastfeed. I did that with my daughter and loved it. If I can manage that again at least I won't have to worry about sterilising equipment but failing that I will look into self sterilising bottles that just go into the microwave as and when you need them. Have you bought all your baby equipment already?

Whosthemummy16 Thu 04-Feb-16 10:23:11

I am in a similar situation. I have gone for a cot straight away so I don't have to have space for a Moses basket and a cot. We have got the mini cot from Mokee.
It has a drawer underneath and a cot top changer and fits comfortably in the bedroom (also has wheels on the bottom so I can have the cot in the front room in the day ).
I have got rid of our laundry basket that was in the bedroom and got some over the door hooks to put a laundry bag on, which has given us more room.
For most of her things though we have put a small but tall chest of drawers in the hall way, it has two floating shelves above it and my OH has attached a rail from IKEA to hang her clothes on.
It's worked well for us as we are short on space.
I am being really organised and putting everything into boxes and keeping a lot of things at my mums!
We are also going to leave the pram in the back of my car a lot as we don't really have room for it.
Hope that helps!

Whosthemummy16 Thu 04-Feb-16 10:23:38

Also check Pinterest they have loads of great storage ideas for small spaces!

Bragadocia Thu 04-Feb-16 10:33:43

We had the same with DS for a couple of years - kitchen/living room, one bedroom, one bathroom. No garden or anything; second floor.

We managed by: co-sleeping, with one of us retreating to the sofa now and again. Getting rid of a lot of stuff. Putting stuff in storage. Don't acquire too much new baby stuff! Luckily, it was only a three-flat house conversion and we new the other two residents, so it was okay to keep the pram in the shared hall.

It isn't ideal, but it is manageable.

Heavenscent86 Thu 04-Feb-16 10:36:29

Where did you get the cot from whosthemummy?

Dolly80 Thu 04-Feb-16 10:43:09

With my first baby, we lived in a 'super' studio flat, basically a studio but with a separated bedroom area that could just about fit a double bed in it with a small cot at the end.

I had a ruthless clear out before baby arrived to make room. We bought a large IKEA storage unit for the living room, which could hold 8 boxes filled with whatever I needed for us and baby. I also cleared out a large drawer inside my wardrobe for baby clothes (and nicked some of my partners space to put my bits!)

I made sure I didn't buy much baby equipment, except what was really necessary. In the first few weeks a small home was perfect, I could hear/see baby all the time, had no nerves about leaving her whilst I was up or down stairs and no stress about cleaning, as it was so small it never took very long.

As she got bigger, we got out and about when we could, baby groups/walks/visits to family. We stayed for 6mths and if we had been there longer I would of considered getting a sofa bed for the living room and making our room baby's/space to play. It wasn't easy but it was manageable and we could have certainly managed longer if we'd have needed to.

FellOutOfBedTwice Thu 04-Feb-16 10:51:10

Just wanted to say that leaving your pram in the car works well. We aren't in a small flat but we do have a very narrow hallway and basically, impossible to wheel anything down it with the shoe rack and coat hooks in the way. So we've just always left the pram in the boot. DD 18 months now and I wouldn't do it any differently again. Makes sense to keep it outside.

Artandco Thu 04-Feb-16 10:55:28

We do. In fact we still do and the babies are almost 5 and 6 years old!

Main thing is stuff and go outside.

Seriously you need almost nothing from all those catalogues. Buy the very basics and buy others if you need to but not just in case.

Use space outdoors as much as possible. So with first small baby I would arrange to meet people in a nearby cafe, or to go for a walk in a park, or along river etc, so I didn't have too many extra kids band people over making a mess all the time.

Once baby moving go out every morning and afternoon so again they burn of energy somewhere else, then can play calmer in a smaller area in between

Don't buy all those lists of toys. They actually play with very select but little. The first 18 months mine only had a basket with a few toys in and books. Now they have more books, a basket of art stuff and some extra drawers of toys. But all toys need to come apart small. Wooden train track or building blocks are great as all come apart into a box for storing. Large things in one piece like toy kictchens/ garages etc we didn't buy. Too big, made occasionally from boxes, otherwise they can play with that stuff at playgroups

Do be strict with what people buy. We literally said if you want to buy something that's great, but do ask us first as we haven't space for duplicates or unnecessary extras. So a new coat or crayons are great, but new tshirts when they have 10 isn't needed.

Co sleeping worked best for us. Then mattresses on floor which were pushed under main bed in day. A year a ago we bought bunkbeds but they are the first bed we have bought them ( and the both sleep on the bottom bunk together still so shouldn't have bothered yet tbh)

lilygirl81 Thu 04-Feb-16 11:53:12

I am so glad to see this thread, we are in the same situation and worrying a bit as not sure we can move for a couple of years. This all makes me think we can really manage until the move happens.

Whosthemummy16 Thu 04-Feb-16 12:30:11

en.mokee.eu/cots.html
Not everyone's cup of tea but I love it and it satisfied my love of everything grey!!!

Squaffle Thu 04-Feb-16 14:14:21

We are in the same situation; always makes me blush slightly when people talk about decorating the nursery!

We will have the cot in our bedroom (got a Kinder Valley Space Saver cot) and as we have nowhere in the flat to keep the buggy we have agreed with our upstairs neighbours that we will put a bracket on the wall in the shared entrance to hang it on, folded up. We have accepted that the sofa will probably become a bed as my partner snores and if this wakes the baby, he'll have to move!

We had a massive clear-out of our clothes and shoes, got a changing table with drawers from IKEA for all the baby stuff and there is also a lot of room under the cot. We also got a cube storage system from IKEA for the living room for toys and other bits, and again had a clear-out of our stuff in there.

Our bathroom is miniscule so there is nowhere to put a baby bath or bath chair; we will just make do with the bath with a grippy bath mat in it.

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now