Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When is 40 weeks?

(4 Posts)
ToffeeForEveryone Tue 02-Feb-16 14:08:59

This is a silly question, but just trying to work out when my next antenatal appointment should be as I seem to have lost track of my dates and my ability to think clearly confused

I am due on 21 Feb. 40 week appointment with midwife already booked, I need to book 38 week appointment with GP and I was just about to call to set up for next week. But looking at my notes, midwife appointment is booked for 18 Feb, and I thought that was week 39?

Is due date the beginning of week 40 or the end? e.g. if I was a couple of days overdue, am I 40 + 2 or 41 + 2?

5hell Tue 02-Feb-16 14:52:31

well i'm no expert, and hopefully someone more experienced (or a mw) can add their wisdom, but...

if your edd is 21st feb, then that is 40w; working backwards you'll be 39w on the 14th and 38w on the 7th, so your appointment on the 18th is at 39+4 (which is nearly 40 smile) i would imagine a GP appointment anytime between now and the 18th would be fine (if you can get one!)

i'm not sure the exact date/gestation of most mw appointments matters, most of mine haven't been 'on time' but i can see that i might start to feel more important as I approach d-day!

MaisieDotes Tue 02-Feb-16 14:59:28

You are 40 weeks at the completion of 40 weeks so that's your due date exactly.

ToffeeForEveryone Tue 02-Feb-16 15:30:46

Thank you both smile Managed to get an app for the 8th so hopefully that's spaced out enough!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now