Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

6 month old miso paste

(6 Posts)
Cinnamon84 Mon 01-Feb-16 20:20:02

I'm about 11 weeks pregnant and I've twice eaten miso soup I've just realised is at least 6 months old. Could it be harmful? I can't see much about it online apart from the fact that most people seem to eat it after being open and kept in the fridge for a year.
I'm normally really cautious and have been good at avoiding all high risk foods but this was made for me, and thinking back I had it first on Saturday eve and woke up with the runs on Sunday morning... Feeling quite worried now.

Babymouse Mon 01-Feb-16 20:25:52

I'm sure you'll be fine - it's a fermented food anyway. I've used stuff that is well over a year old with no issues. blush I don't think of the bacteria it harbours are the bacteria that will harm the baby.

Junosmum Mon 01-Feb-16 20:41:43

It'll be totally fine!

Quodlibet Mon 01-Feb-16 20:47:58

It's fine. Surely you made it with boiling water anyway, which would have killed off any nasties!

Cinnamon84 Tue 02-Feb-16 09:28:16

Ok thanks for the reassurance. Have woken up with the runs again, am hoping my body is doing its thing and getting rid of anything that could be harmful but now I'm questioning every single slight twinge I feel in my stomach. Have my first mw appt tomorrow so will mention it then.

HeadDreamer Tue 02-Feb-16 09:32:38

I have no idea it's harmful? I add it all the time to food. Love umami, yum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now