Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

22 weeks pregnant and baby has small (off the chart) head

(17 Posts)
Farawaytreeandme Mon 01-Feb-16 12:28:10

I was wondering if any of you might have some experience of what happens if the baby is measuring small for head circumference?

I went in for a detailed scan today at the fetal medicine clinic of my maternity hospital and the baby's head growth has slowed down, so now, instead of being in the lower 10% for size, it is now off the scale. All other measurements are ok and all organs are ok. Brain looks normal. Just the small head circumference and BPD.

I have to go back in 4 weeks for another scan and will be monitored now all the way through, which I am so grateful for, but...in the meanwhile I am going out of my mind. They said there's nothing I can do.

Has anyone got any experience of this? Did it rectify itself? Can they go through a sudden grout spurt?. Thank you in advance!

April2013 Mon 01-Feb-16 13:38:11

I have heard loads on here about how they can get measurements wrong with scans - wonder if you could ask for a rescan or another scan in 1/2 weeks instead? Or you could go get another anomaly scan done privately, babybond seem very good, also heard babies grow at different rates and catch up, it sounds like nothing can be certain till they are born really. I think as you are understandably worried then totally ask for an appointment to discuss with an obstetrician so you can ask loads of questions x

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 01-Feb-16 13:44:43

Can you ask to speak to a consultant about it?

As I'm sure others will say, the measurements can be wildly off, but I think leaving you to panic for four weeks isn't going to do anyone any good.

I would call now and ask for an appointment, this week.

nehagarg Mon 01-Feb-16 13:46:25

In a similar position here. Baby's HC and BPD measured almost off the chart at my 20 week scan. Have to go back next week for a 24 week growth scan to see if he is growing normally. Going out of my mind with worry.

Been reading around and in most cases, people have said that either the measurements were wrong or the babies just caught up at a later stage.

Also found this link which says that 1.1 week measurement discrepancy between weeks 14-20 is normal. The discrepancy increases the further along you are.

The BPD best used after 12 weeks.
Accuracy is +/- 1.1 week 14 - 20 weeks,
+/- 1.6 weeks 20 - 26 weeks,
+/- 2.4 week 26 - 30 weeks,
and +/- 3 - 4 weeks after 30 weeks.

Don't know if any of this puts you at ease but hugs .. I am in the exact same boat and hopefully we are both worried for nothing.

nehagarg Mon 01-Feb-16 13:47:10

Sorry, the link is

www.baby2see.com/medical/charts.html

greenlizard Mon 01-Feb-16 14:16:21

I had the opposite problem in that my DS scan's were off the chart size wise for his head and abdomen and everyone got very excited about gestational diabetes and other development issues. He was off the scale all throughout my pregnancy. It turned out to be fine he was born big 9.4 at 39 weeks (induced) and he is perfect (and still big).

If they don't want to see you for another 4 weeks - it shows they are not that concerned but I would push to speak to a consultant if you are worried and ask for an earlier re-scan if possible.

Farawaytreeandme Mon 01-Feb-16 18:17:42

Thanks all of you so much for the replies - and sorry I haven't been back this afternoon, been for a long walk and a breather. Really appreciate the advice and I think you're right in that I can't wait a full 4 weeks, so I'm going to call the consultant's office tomorrow and see if they can give me a bit more explanation around it and help me understand what will happen if the growth slows down any more/what they're looking for and what it all might mean. I have too many questions.

I think I need to wait 4 weeks for the scan for there to have been decent growth. At my 20 wk the head circ. was on the 10th centile and now, 2 weeks later it's on 3rd. Hopefully 4 weeks will show either a pattern or a growth spurt....

Neha big hugs back at you. Thanks for the stats. I also read (been googling, dangerous!) that if they are in a breech position the measurement is less accurate, and it was...so...hoping that might mean something. Let me know how you get on. Waiting is awful x

Farawaytreeandme Mon 01-Feb-16 18:19:21

I should say it's the BPD which is off the scale altogether - under by 15%.

TheDisillusionedAnarchist Mon 01-Feb-16 20:33:35

Hope all goes well for you, it most likely will. Just wanted to add that if the growth doesn't pick up, may be worth asking for a fetal MRI of the brain, we had one in pregnancy and it picked up that our daughter had a small vermis. It can confirm that there are no significant brain anomalies whereas a normal ultrasound can only identify gross anomalies and not all of them.

However I hope you dont' need this and it is just a scanning error.

Impatientwino Mon 01-Feb-16 21:59:16

A close friend of ours had this. She was terribly worried throughout her pregnancy and was monitored, lots of scans etc but when he was born last year he had a perfectly normal looking sized head. Not huge but not tiny either. He's now 9 months old and utterly gorgeous. Try not to worry thanks

Farawaytreeandme Tue 02-Feb-16 10:22:15

Thanks for the comforting words, and interesting about the MRI scan...good to know what is available, would never have known they could do a fetal MRI! My DH informs me that I have a small head hmm ... We are trying to be positive today and hope for the best in 4 weeks. Will call hospital too, but just trying to guid up my courage first.

Farawaytreeandme Wed 24-Feb-16 11:44:21

Just a quick update - I caved & decided to go for a private scan as the stress of not knowing - and sustaining the 'oh isn't your bump tiny!' comments - got too much for me.

Worth every penny. 3 weeks on from the last scan, the head has moved up to 20th centile. Consultant demonstrated how you can get multiple readings as the head is very malleable at this stage and it depends on the lie of the baby and how hard you press. He took multiple measurements to prove it.

Baby looks all healthy and apparently is quite petite, though not worryingly so, and with long legs! Have been told to relax now and try to enjoy the rest of my pregnancy. Easier said than done as I think the stress has been overwhelming, but gradually I can feel it leaving me and I'm feeling much better. Good luck to anyone else in the same situation, I hope my situation can help you flowers.

fermerswife Wed 24-Feb-16 12:26:48

So glad to hear you have had an encouraging scan now. I'm going through similar worries after my 20 week scan. Just came on to ask others experiences and saw your post. wishing you a healthy last few months of pregnancy.

IdaJones Wed 24-Feb-16 13:16:53

Great news. Sounds very reassuring.

AnaMaria88 Thu 16-Feb-17 00:13:12

Any news,mum? I am in the same situation here and worried as hell! At my 20 weeks scan they found out my babys head is out of charts, send me to London to a fetal clinic, after 3 days had another scan, my babys head was on the 3rd percentile, the doctors looked concerned, they offered me to do amniocentesis to check for any sindroms, infections and also blood tests from me and my husband! We need to go back in two weeks time to check how is baby growing and waiting for the test results! The doc said is most probably later I ll have to go for a MRI also! I keep reading others experiences, most of them are encouraging but the care they should to us, doing the tests that not everyone was offered is worring us a lot! I would like to head some updates from those who had the same! Thank yoy

arbrighton Thu 16-Feb-17 11:08:45

Ana this thread is over a year old! Maybe start new thread for more recent experiences?

AnaMaria88 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:58:37

Thanks, I did opened a new one, but at the same time, being an old thread, I hoped someone will answer and tell me how was in the end, how the babies developed...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now