Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

This is my 3rd pregnancy had vacuum and forceps delivery on my previous 2 labours and I'm terrified this time as I also tore and had stitches, should I ask for a section this time😁😁?

(9 Posts)
Clodagh164 Sun 31-Jan-16 22:47:10

Help should I get a section on this one as I can't sleep thinking about another horrible labour 16 weeks now

Nimportequoi Sun 31-Jan-16 23:27:00

Apart from the vacuum and forceps, how where you labours? How did they start, what did you do, how long did they last, how did you feel?

BartlayWhitlaymoore Mon 01-Feb-16 01:10:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DefinitelyNotElsa Mon 01-Feb-16 09:51:47

I think you need to give a bit more information for people to give you an answer.

Something like 70% (may not be accurate - quoted at my NCT classes) of women need stitches after childbirth. Many have tears, episiotomies or both. How bad was your tearing last time? Did you suffer long term after effects? Did you lose much blood?

Ultimately, you have the right to ask for an ELCS, but it may depend on your trust's policies as to what hoops you will need to jump through to get it.

Would asking for a birth debrief help ease your anxiety?

Everythinggettingbigger Mon 01-Feb-16 09:55:53

I had a pretty tough time with my first (24 weeks tomorrow with my 2nd), 56 hour labour, ended in being prepped for emergency section, baby being too far, episiotomy and forceps......that's not even the bit I struggled with the most it was the pain afterwards of the stitches which got infected!

I have switched hospitals this time from a very busy one to one less known but very high ranked for maternity services and the treatment has been amazing so far. I am booked in to see a consultant at 28 weeks (the midwife who booked me in at 16 weeks in the new hospital suggested this) to talk about my last delivery and what my options are going forward. Could you not ask if this is something that would be possible for you?

I personally would like to avoid an epidural this time as I know the chances of needing an episiotomy are higher after having one, and the no driving for 6 weeks after having a section are really putting me off (I have a 5 year old who needs to get to school which isn't in walking distance!) so I am freaking out about what my options are too! really hoping this appointment calms my nerves!!

good luck!

Clodagh164 Mon 01-Feb-16 11:36:28

I was 24 hours on both labours and it was horrible it stays with me every day I had an epidural and everything the sting and pain when I went toilet was unreal for days after. It was so bad where I tore that I could t have intercourse for 6 months after last labour. So I'm beginning to think would a section be of more beneficial for me this time as I can't sleep thinking about this and feel stressed about it. The epidural was also a problem getting it in while I had contractions in between she had to try 7 times. I know I will to get it with a section but if I'm booked in it might not be as bad to get epidural in if I don't have co tractions in between 😁😁

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 01-Feb-16 12:38:27

Ask for a birth debrief - you basically run through your medical notes with a senior midwife. There may be a common theme - large babies, small mother that might point towards an ELCS.

Are you in the UK or Ireland Clodagh?

Clodagh164 Mon 01-Feb-16 16:50:57

I'm in Ireland attending the Coombe my babies were 7.10oz 7.12oz

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 02-Feb-16 09:38:57

I'm Irish but have had my kids in the UK so I'm not amazingly familiar with the prenatal services at home.

If you've had two children vaginally it would be unusual in the UK for you to be offered an ELCS unless you had previously had some sort of repair surgery which would be undone. eg: for incontinence / pelvic floor repair. Quite often here you have to wait for said surgery until you have assured them that your family is finished.

I've had a section and a vaginal birth [vbac] and recovered far faster from the EMCS. Pain is just in a different location though and with two other children to manage it might be something you regret unless you have lots of help locally or your older two are school age? Things like lifting them up the stairs, or into/out of the bath are a total no for 3-6 weeks depending on how well you recover. The newborn I managed fine with but I didn't have other children then. Biggest issue is weird stuff like getting off the sofa, or pulling yourself into a sitting position to breastfeed. You suddenly realise how much you use your Abs when you laugh, sneeze, twist.

I don't know if you can request an ELCS at home even if you are a private patient but I suspect that your insurance would require it to be a medical recommendation / DR's choice on the day?

If your tearing was 3rd degree or worse, and you are dead keen to have an ELCS then I would start pushing now and see what they say? Hopefully a few more Irish folk with RL experience will be along.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now