Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does anyone else work from home with toddler?

(37 Posts)
JessicaLeo1980 Sun 31-Jan-16 19:34:34

I'm wondering if anyone else manages to work from home while looking after their toddler? I've just been offered a job by one of my old colleagues who said he would let me work flexibly. I was thinking I could do the majority in the evening and at weekends while my partner is at home. But that would mean we never get any time to do things as a family. Does anyone else manage to juggle all this? I wouldn't earn enough to put my son in childcare so I need to find a way of working while he is at home and while my partner can help. Does this sound doable? Thanks.

Sallycinnamum Sun 31-Jan-16 19:38:41

There is no way on earth I could work with a toddler around and it would seriously undermine my job if I did.

I work from.home twice a week and the rest in the office. On the days I'm at home Ihave full time chikdcare.

I just can't get anything done with a toddler around as there's only so long they'll sit in front of the tv being quiet.

Plus I don't know anyone who works at home without childcare. Its just not practical in my experience.

StubbleTurnips Sun 31-Jan-16 19:43:35

This would be my fucking nightmare.

I've had DH at home will I'll DD and WFH'd. That also was a fucking nightmare.

StubbleTurnips Sun 31-Jan-16 19:44:04

^with ill

StubbleTurnips Sun 31-Jan-16 19:45:49

Sorry to keep posting blush

I currently work 4 long days, 3 of them are evenings when DH is doing bath and bed. Not having family time at weekends and evenings would not be for me.

It depends on the type of work and how long you'd expect to be doing it.

ByThePrickingOfMyThumbs Sun 31-Jan-16 19:47:29

Can you realistically do it all during the evenings and weekends? Won't you need to field phone calls, answer emails etc during the day? I think your chances of getting any work done with a toddler around are very slim indeed. However, if your partner is willing to take on childcare responsibilities completely during the evenings and weekends it might be possible. Would this happen? Or would you be interrupted all the time?

SaltySeaBird Sun 31-Jan-16 19:50:10

No it's not possible.

I do one day at home and DD is at nursery. I sometimes have to do stuff on my day off though and it's a nightmare. It was fine when she was a little baby but not as she got older.

VimFuego101 Sun 31-Jan-16 19:53:16

No, it's impossible. I'm assuming your colleague meant that it would be OK to work evenings/ weekends while your partner was doing childcare or that they have no experience of looking after a toddler smile

PennyHasNoSurname Sun 31-Jan-16 19:53:48

If yours and your partners combined wage does not have any room in it for childcare then you have a couple of options:
* work evenings and weekends so dp can be home for childcare
* you and dp reduce hours so you maybe do 3 days each and one day together as a family
* one of you not work

BikeRunSki Sun 31-Jan-16 20:12:17

It is absolutely impossible to work from home with a toddler.
It is absolutely exhausting to work evenings and weekends, and this is massively detrimental to family life.

ChorusLine69 Sun 31-Jan-16 20:16:18

What hours does your partner work and when is he home in evenings? How many hours would you need to fit in per week? Would they expect you to work daytime hours too?

I've been thinking about doing this myself as I've been offered some freelance work and I'm thinking if I can fit it in evenings and weekends then I won't have to pay for childcare as its not really worth me taking the work if I have to pay childminder/nursery fees. I think I'd only be only to do 10-15 hours per week but it would be something to keep my hand in and a bit of extra cash.

I think it could be do able?! I know working with a toddler at home wouldn't be as I struggled to even get my cv done when my son was around!

Allyoucaneat Sun 31-Jan-16 20:17:03

Madness. You need childcare even if you are working from home.

I struggle to even cook a meal or help my 5yr old with homework with my very demanding toddler at my feet.

On rare days I do work from home I shut myself away or do takes him out.

skankingpiglet Sun 31-Jan-16 20:19:01

Another person saying no... I struggle to do the washing up with the toddler at home and awake. She stands on my feet, hangs off my trousers, and screams 'Muuuuuumeeeeeeeeee!' until I finish and can focus my attention on her again. She will happily play by herself until I try to actually do anything.
If you really want to do the work, could you do an hour a day during nap time, plus a couple of evenings /a day at the weekend? That would mostly mean you spend the remaining evenings cleaning together with your DH however. If you are wanting to do the work to 'keep your hand in', then I'd use childcare, even if it meant all my wages went on it for the time being (can your DH get childcare vouchers to help with the cost?). TBH though, the wage they are offering you must be awful if it won't cover the cost of a child-minder. Mine works out at £4.75/hr.

JustHavinABreak Sun 31-Jan-16 20:19:16

Yes I do it. One toddler and one preschooler. Really works for me and for our family. It's hard work but I wouldn't have it any other way. I know most people think I am mad but I honestly enjoy every second and I feel very privileged to be able to do this.

Muskateersmummy Sun 31-Jan-16 20:20:05

I spend part of my time working from home, but she goes to preschool when I am working. I couldn't work with her here. Even with someone else here "looking after" her, I know she would want me to bring her drinks, play with her, "help mummy" ...

FusionChefGeoff Sun 31-Jan-16 20:32:16

I've just started a very flexible freelance project and thought 'oh ace, I'll get loads done in evenings and at the weekend'

Hahahahahahahaha

I am so wiped out after spending all day with a demanding 3 yo (I do have a baby too but it's the bigger one who is easily the most effort) I have NO brain space, attention span or energy for anything more than collapsing in front of the TV after an hour or so tidying just to keep very low standards in the house.

I have childcare for 2 (ish) days a week and it's difficult even dedicating that just to work as there is so much else to do to keep on top of in time for the next full on children day.

When you thankfully breathe a sigh of relief tomorrow because it's 8.30pm, DC is in bed and you can settle down to a box set or whatever you do, just think how you would feel if, in fact, you had to rev back up again and put in a 4/5 hr shift.......

Some of the pre-schools near me will take children from 2 and they are usually cheaper than nurseries and more flexible on shorter sessions - perhaps you could look into that?? If you cold get him in somewhere from 9-12, pick up, quick lunch and then a nap at home, you could feasibly do 4/5 ish hours but only pay for morning session for example.

Quodlibet Sun 31-Jan-16 20:35:38

It's perfectly possible to work from home while someone else is looking after the toddler - DP and I do this, taking turns to look after DD (whole days).

Working evenings/weekends after having toddler all day = super hard. I always intend to finish things off in this time and am usually to shattered to manage it.

iMatter Sun 31-Jan-16 20:51:41

I would never offer a working from home job to someone who didn't have childcare in place.

You can't "work" from home and look after a toddler/baby/small child at the same time.

WtfWasThis Sun 31-Jan-16 20:53:21

I have a DS who is 19 months and I work from home without using paid childcare. It probably works out to be 0.4 although it's an unusual job with some very quiet periods and a handful of very busy periods. It is also really flexible in that I never have to be working at a specific time as long as I complete my tasks within a given timeframe. Without this I would definitely struggle.

I'm lucky that DS has a nap every day, mostly for 2 hours, so I can work then. I sometimes do a bit of work when he's in bed. I also have some events to run on certain Saturday mornings. During busy periods, I do have to work pretty much all weekend, but it's doable because it's not all that often, and DH can watch him. Most weekends are free for family time.

I think if you can give it a trial run and pull out if it doesn't suit you then go for it. Or could you put your toddler in nursery for even a half day per week?

JustHavinABreak Sun 31-Jan-16 21:00:55

I disagree imatter. I can and do hmm

iMatter Sun 31-Jan-16 21:04:05

Good for you.

I guess it depends on the line of work you are in. In my line of work everyone needs to be able to take calls/attend meetings/go to court at the drop of a hat. That is not possible if you have a child to look after.

3point14159265359 Sun 31-Jan-16 21:07:58

I think it would depend a lot on the job tbh. I wfh but toddler is mostly in daycare. I usually work a couple of evenings as well but that's literally handing the DC over to DH at half five so I can work then and skip their bedtime. If I had to do bedtime then work, I never would do anything.

FusionChefGeoff Sun 31-Jan-16 21:10:15

Imatter what do you do that needs so little concentration and no blocks of time longer than 3.5 seconds??!!!

Unless you are a nanny / childminder or similar?

HeadDreamer Sun 31-Jan-16 21:10:45

I don't think I could work my job with a toddler (or a preschooler). I agree unless it's a childcare type job, where you are allowed to bring your own child, I can't see how you can actually concentrate on work.

Things will be a lot different once they are at school.

FusionChefGeoff Sun 31-Jan-16 21:11:25

Oops blush

Sorry iMatter I meant to ask JustHavinABreak

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now