Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Acid reflux... In pregnancy

(18 Posts)
Jodie992 Sun 31-Jan-16 13:21:26

Hello I'm new to this site this is my first pregnancy and I'm 11 weeks pregnant with twins. Last night I unfortunately experienced what appeared to be acid reflux - it was awful! Does anyone have any tips on how to soothe this or avoid getting it in the first place - any comments/advice would be MUCH appreciated 😊

zannyminxoxox Sun 31-Jan-16 13:47:26

You could try milk or gaviscon/rennies. Although im 31 weeks pregnant and nothing is working for me at the minute

spanky2 Sun 31-Jan-16 13:53:40

Yes to gavison liquid and tablets and milk. I stopped bending over as ds2 was really high up and I'd vom a bit. That was when I was seven months and onwards.Also it didn't go straight away after he was born. I also ate cake, a lot of cake as I thought it would soak up the stomach acid. It didn't really but it cheered me up.

jusdepamplemousse Sun 31-Jan-16 13:54:17

Eat little and often rather than 3 big meals, definitely avoid a big dinner and eat earlier in evening. Avoid acidic and fatty foods, also caffeine. Sleep on left hand side. Exercise. Make sure your bra isn't too tight. Be careful with Rennies and gaviscon as they can actually make things worse sad.

Or go to doc and get script for ranitidine.

Recommend the latter!

TitusAndromedon Sun 31-Jan-16 13:54:44

I had terrible reflux all through my pregnancy. I don't like Gaviscon so I used Rennies. A lot. I had a pack in every handbag, on my bedside table, in my desk drawer at work, and just about any other place I could think of. The only time it didn't help was late in the pregnancy when I ate rich foods like Indian takeaway, which caused me to be sick.

MaisieDotes Sun 31-Jan-16 13:58:47

I went through a stage at about 20- 30 weeks where I would wake up at night or from a nap choking on a bit of vom. Yes, gross, I'm sorry.

It was really horrible and scary as I wouldn't be able to catch my breath for ages.

I had heartburn in my other pregnancies but nothing like this. I had to stop eating within about an hour / hour and a half of lying down and that stopped it happening.

Then I think it subsided when my bump dropped a bit. I still have normal heartburn and I just take rennies for that.

rageagainsttheBIL Sun 31-Jan-16 18:44:12

Lie on your left

Avoid sugar and fatty processed foods - "natural" fats like avocado seem ok

Get huge bottles of gaviscon extra strength and place them around the house, car, office

Cornberry Sun 31-Jan-16 23:58:18

I just carried a giant bottle of gaviscon around. Rennie didn't work for me.

Jodie992 Mon 01-Feb-16 00:48:17

Thanks for all your comments - I will definitely be stocking up on Rennes & Gaviscon! That was not a nice experience!

weegiemum Mon 01-Feb-16 00:52:17

In my first pregnancy my GP used to prescribe gaviscon 4x500ml at a go. 2 LITRES! I went through all the flavours!

BartlayWhitlaymoore Mon 01-Feb-16 01:00:22

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Themodernuriahheep Mon 01-Feb-16 01:01:16

As well as fatty foods, I found any combination if wheat and yeast disastrous. So I avoided all normal bread, and ate pitta and water biscuits.

FoxgloveStar Mon 01-Feb-16 02:59:15

Had a ball of burning liquid at you back of my throat for the best part of the last month. GP has prescribed me omeprole and all symptoms were gone in a day. Yay!

dizzylemon Mon 01-Feb-16 09:56:41

Go to the GP and get the Gaviscon/Rantidine/Omeprazole on prescription for free, otherwise you'll end up spending a fortune. At 31 weeks it's what I'm finally giving into smile

Sleeping on left and and/or sleeping sat up helps as well and I echo what other people have said about tight bras (also trousers) and eating smaller and more often and not within 2 hours of bedtime.

Jibberjabberjooo Mon 01-Feb-16 11:35:01

I had omperazole from the GP during both my pregnancies.

rageagainsttheBIL Mon 01-Feb-16 14:29:47

If you get it in the night I advise having a stash of snacks handy, sometimes mine seems worse in an empty stomach.

Youreadthebabybooks Mon 01-Feb-16 19:24:40

Can I just say omeprazole has saved my sanity ! I am 31 weeks and from week 6-29 I had horrendous 24 hour heartburn ... To the point I was sick and sometimes all over myself from the heartburn ..... Had tried everything smaller meals, avoiding certain foods, buckets of gaviscon eventually got omeprazole prescribed and it worked straight away haven't had it for even a moment since I started taking them ! Has literally saved me from feeling incredibly down and resenting the pregnancy !

SheilaTakeABow Mon 01-Feb-16 19:30:37

Trebor Extra Strong mints worked for me when Gaviscon, Maalox and Ranitidine failed. Someone mentioned it worked and I thought 'Pah, they can't have had it as bad as me', but gave it a try and the improvement was unbelievable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now