Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

would you still go?

(18 Posts)
LondonStill83 Sat 30-Jan-16 00:36:21

I am freaking out a bit.

I have an anxiety disorder and an incredible hangover today, and have just found out I am pregnant.

First, I am worried that the alcohol will have harmed baby. This is my 3rd or 4th night out in the last few weeks- I drank a LOT each time.

Second, I am going to India for a month on 11 March. Have had all vaccinations before as I went to Thailand last year, and we are just avoiding the high risk malaria times and locations, so that isn't an issue.

But am I at huge risk??? Will I be sick a lot? I have no idea how pregnant I am. I did a test last week and it was negative. I never got my period after coming off the pill.

What would you do??? I have waited my whole life to go to India.

outputgap Sat 30-Jan-16 00:52:51

On the first, one great way of thinking about this is that September born babies are sozzled in drink, being conceived through Christmas and New Year, and September borns are also more like to go to red brick universities, perform better in exams and more likely to become premiership footballers than their more abstemious August and July born playmates. (I know this is down to school starting age, but it illustrates how being conceived in a mist of pure vodka can't be that much harm.)

India I have never fancied, but there was a thread recently. I shall look...

FastWindow Sat 30-Jan-16 00:57:22

Congratulations! You're in a massive club of people who had lots of drinks early on and had healthy babies. (Obviously, stopped when they knew)

As to India- sure, just be careful?

Junosmum Sat 30-Jan-16 03:26:45

Yep, I was so convinced that I wasn't pregnant the month I conceived that I had 3 very heavy drinking sessions in a row, cocktails, shots, out until 5am type stuff. Day 4, I got my bfp. I now have a perfect 4 week old little boy.

As for India, I'd go. Just don't go bungee jumping or anything!

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sat 30-Jan-16 03:54:10

Been to India before and it's very similar travel wise to China. We went to China last April and DS was born in September. Had an absolute ball!
What kind of India trip are you doing? I'd still go but if you're doing a rough and ready trip then it might be worth budgeting to upgrade certain things - are you doing any sleeper trains? It also depends how you're feeling. I was lucky and had no sickness but it could have been very different. We'd deliberately booked a trip that was slightly more relaxed than usual for this very reason!
Congratulations!

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sat 30-Jan-16 03:59:58

PS. Just be sensible with food. Again, I avoided food poisoning in India despite not following some of the standard 'rules'. I ate from street carts as I'd seen it cooked in front of me, though might reconsider if PG. DH was dead against me eating from street vendors in China and i respected why so didn't. Avoid anything that's been sat out 'warming'.
One thing that would be good is you often get sugar coated fennel seeds as a digestive after meals. Imagine they'd be good for any nausea too. I'd also suggest taking tiger balm if you can get if or vicks. Some areas can be more fragrant than others and you might find your sense of smell is heightened. Bit of tiger balm under the nostrils works a treat!

Holly34 Sat 30-Jan-16 04:39:14

Travel!! before the baby comes wink

LondonStill83 Sat 30-Jan-16 07:34:39

Thanks so much for responding!

My gut instinct is to go. We have booked a trip on the more luxurious side as I feel like I have done my fair share of backpacking... I think most hotels have a pool that I can lay around by if need be :-).

I love the September baby facts!!

I have no idea how pregnant I am? My guess is about four weeks. If so I will be 10-14 weeks in India.

We do have one sleeper train but it's first class I believe. Or second glass perhaps? Should I reconsider?

I think the reality is that I am scared fuckless so India is just a good thing to worry about!

LondonStill83 Sat 30-Jan-16 10:15:26

Please keep responding - I need you all

PatriciaHolm Sat 30-Jan-16 10:41:23

As others have said, getting sozzled before you know you are pregnant is a widespread phenomenon ;-)

India; yes, I would go, as you are going to be going in comfort. Just make sure you follow all the food guidelines, but that shouldn't be too hard, and you should actually be able to eat very healthily I would have thought.

One wrinkle may be travel/medical insurance. You need to make sure it covers you for travel in early pregnancy.

LondonStill83 Sat 30-Jan-16 15:49:57

Thanks all- very reassuring!

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sat 30-Jan-16 18:12:17

You should be fine on the train...was just worried you might be in three tier sleeper which wouldn't go down well!

Also, your insurance will cover you. They have to under discrimination laws, apparently. So you're covered for complications of pregnancy eg HG, GD etc but not just 'normal' stuff such as morning sickness. The one you have to be careful about is if you were further along and what if the baby came early - there have been horror stories of you being covered but not the baby and their repatriation etc. If you'll be 10-14 weeks you'll be fine. I was 14-17 weeks and it was a great time to travel!

LondonStill83 Sat 30-Jan-16 18:31:17

Ah thank you so much- I am feeling a lot better about it!

Who knew that sooo much could go wrong? It's a blooming miracle that babies are ever born!

cantbelieveImquittingcoffee Mon 01-Feb-16 06:53:01

Congratulations!!
I am 26 weeks pregnant with my first and writing from the terrace of the yoga retreat I'm on in Goa..a bit different as I have been here 6 times before and am further along in my pregnancy, but as long as you are careful with food, travel etc (which you naturally would be on your first trip to India ANYWAY) then I'd say you'll probably be fine - but it is totally up to you! Don't let anyone make the decision for you. FWIW I spoke to the GP before flying and she was just jealous, not even vaguely judgmental wink
Travel might be easier or harder in the first trimester (vs almost 3rd like I have done - which was ok, just a bit tiring and uncomfortable but totally manageable!) depending on potential morning sickness, fatigue etc but there is no way you'll know until you get to that point, so I say just give it a lot of thought but don't take too much advice from "concerned parties" (my mum was freaking out, but saying that she does every time I go anywhere !!)

TheBeanpole Mon 01-Feb-16 07:59:37

Yes! Go! We went travelling to Vietnam when I was about 10 weeks (fairly rough and ready trip, motorbiking) and because of my work I travelled all over Asia up until about 26 weeks. As you've had your jabs you'll be fine.
You may not even be ill- I've not had much sickness with either pregnancy. The only problem with long haul is you can bloat quite painfully, so eat lightly and get a seat where you can get out to move around.
Make the most of it. That sort of travel is tricky with toddlers. Our last 2 holidays have been apartments in Europe- nice, but we were very adventurous travellers before and now we're just too knackered.

Crumbles12 Mon 01-Feb-16 16:43:07

I agree with the September babies!! My DS was born in September and as I had a negative test, we attended many parties and occasions over Christmas and New Years so had a fair amount to drink! I got BFP 10 days after Christmas at about 5 weeks pg. He was absolutely fine and the mw was not concerned!

CityMole Mon 01-Feb-16 19:01:22

My baby was planned- it's just that we had planned to have one in late 2016, not early 2016! SO it was a big surprise when I fell pregnant in august. Not least because I was in the midst of enjoying my 'last summer of freedom', had been on several nights out, including one with a client who leads me astray, and another party where we drank well into the next morning (my poor little blastocyst must have been powered by wine and jagermeister). 27 weeks now, and so far all seems well, and every time I've mentioned it to my consultant or midwife, they just laugh and are just not remotely concerned about it all (even at my age- I am 40 next week) And even when I say 'but I don't think you realise HOW MUCH I drank those night)- it's no use crying over spilled milk. I think you have to take on the chin what has gone before and just try not to dwell n it too much.

I would go on the trip too! You will need to be vigilant about hygiene, bites and water/ food sources, but as I have said on another thread, you are pregnant, not an invalid! Be sensible, but be you.

LondonStill83 Tue 02-Feb-16 00:51:27

Thank you all so much- I cannot put into words how helpful this all is to read.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the advice "be sensible but still you". So much of my anxiety is around losing myself; I am a pretty adventurous and spontaneous person who loves to eat and drink her way around the dark corners of the world, and I think I worry that will be gone forever. Really, it may change for a while, but will always be there.

In terms of drinking myself senseless, yes, that is what I was thinking- do you realise HOW MUCH I DRANK? Last week alone my friend and I polished half a bottle of vodka, a bottle of wine, two pitchers of prosecco sangria, tequila shots, and more vodka. We danced until 7 and then ate McDonalda like bums in front of Charing Cross station.

Was super fun though and I suppose a good last hurrah for a while!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now