Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

xray when pregnant

(11 Posts)
Lamby80 Thu 28-Jan-16 12:25:02

Hi all
I am looking for you all to calm my nerves.
I had an xray on my lower back and neck 2 weeks ago and have just found out I am around 6 weeks pregnant. I didn't wear the lead apron as I didn't know! I am now convinced there is going to be something wrong with the baby. The doc has said try to not worry but I can't help it.

Artioo2 Thu 28-Jan-16 12:47:23

A quick look at the info online suggests that the risks are very small, and that most xrays aren't strong enough to cause problems. The link with any risk of damage to the baby is only found above 10 rads, and this article puts a typical abdominal xray at 290 millirads (100,000 millirads in 1 rad, so it's miles off).

To set your mind at rest, can you perhaps request information from the hospital on the strength of the xray? Someone in the xray department might even be able to reassure you about the risks. I'd be calling the hospital rather than your doctor.

toadierocks Thu 28-Jan-16 12:48:03

Hi Lamby

I know there are small risk associated with Xrays and pregnancy, however I think because it was so early it should all be ok, best thing to do is try and get a scan at your EPU or talk to them about it, or failing that book a private scan, by 7 weeks you should definitely see a heartbeat and that should hopefully put your mind at rest. Pregnancy is a very nerve wrecking and testing time so do what you can to put your mind at ease.

FX for you x

Seeline Thu 28-Jan-16 12:51:26

When my mum was pg with me they couldn't decide whether I was twins or not. This was getting on for 50 years ago, so before ultrasound scans. So they X-rayed her tummy to see!! I wasn't twins grin
As I say nearly 50 years on and I seem to be OK although others may argue differently

Lamby80 Sat 30-Jan-16 15:31:30

Thanks all. I took your advice and called the radiology department. They are going to work out how much exposure the baby would have received. It turns out I had 2 lumbar xrays.
I had a blood test and we think I am about 6-8 weeks along. I will have a scan next week to confirm.
I still feel sick. I'm having very irrational thoughts!
Thanks guys. You have been a great help.
X

Luckygirlcharlie Sat 30-Jan-16 18:13:58

Have had 2 X-rays a CT scan and an Mri due to broken foot and torn ligaments. I did wear the apron and was later on in pregnancy than you but each time they reassured me that with the new machines there is very little scatter and less radiation than a flight to Spain. Try not to worry xx

Battleshiphips2 Mon 01-Feb-16 23:25:22

I've had PEs and so have had X-rays, ct scans and other scans involving radiation and I'm now 34 weeks and everything looks fine. I'm sure you'll be ok. My mil had X-rays when pregnant with DH to see if he was breech! He's fine.

Blackpoollassy Tue 02-Feb-16 12:28:32

You are fine. Baby is fine. You certainly do not need to pay for a scan to check following an x-ray (unless you want one anyway of course!).
I provide advice on this in a professional capacity and it's fine.
Don't worry.
The radiation dose is very low and will not effect your baby.
The Hospital should come back to you with some risk factors but they will be tiny. Please do not worry.

Blackpoollassy Tue 02-Feb-16 12:29:38

p.s you wouldn't have been able to wear the lead apron anyway as they were doing lumbar spines

Iwonderif Tue 02-Feb-16 14:54:06

My sister had an X-ray and a general anaesthetic when she was pregnant as she had carpal tunnel syndrome but didn't know the was pregnant, she was about 4 weeks gone. The nurse should have checked her wee routinely for pregnancy & didn't before her GA. My nephew is now 4. Hope these stories give you some peace of mind.

Lamby80 Sat 06-Feb-16 18:13:18

Hello. I am feeling a lot better. I spoke to the hospital again who have completely put my mind at rest. And I am just over 7 weeks now according to an early scan. Thanks everyone, you have been so reassuring.
I can get excited now!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now